'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Important options

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-26 11:16 AM
7 replies, 3691 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

tashadaily
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-24 12:07 AM (#71721)
Subject: Important options

New User

I am looking for a 4h slant w/ lq.  I  have looked at probably a thousand trailers in the past week and I am getting overwelmed.  There are a few must haves but some of the options Im not reallysure about how necessary they really are.  The musts are 4h slant w/ lq.  Must have commode, shower, sink and mw.  Do I really need a cooktop?  It would be nice but...? We have 2 kids that will travel most of the time (16,6,3).  I really am not too sure about space what is a decent size sw for this family?  I am thinking 12'??  What about mangers?  Mid-tack? Dinette or sleeper sofa?  Alum or steel?  Is a built in stereo necessary..we really dont watch tv so that doesnt matter would rather listen to music but we can always bring a boom box.  Should a generator be insisted on?  How much are they?  We have one but it wont fit in the trailer.  Hayracks, more of a pain then a necessity?  There is so much and I would really like some input and direction...Any help would be appreciated.  Oh yeah...I am working on a very limited budget.  $30,000 is about my limit so I know it really limits what I can have and what I want.  Thanks 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-11-24 3:35 AM (#71724 - in reply to #71721)
Subject: RE: Important options

Expert

I guess you are looking at used trailers, any particular brand? "Hydraulic jack", you got to have the hydraulic landing gear jack!! But that's alot of money in itself, and you have a limit on what you can spend so you will have to weigh what options you can or cannot live without. You already have past that $30,000.00 limit with what you have listed, good luck with your search, it can be exciting as well as frustrating!!......Pass the Valium please!!

As of this moment, there are 1465 4H/LQ trailers listed on HTW, 103 of them are prices between $25,000.00 and $30,000.00, that should keep you occupied for a few hours!!!    Here's something you may can use. 

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=137202

Edited by retento 2007-11-24 7:58 AM
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-11-24 5:13 AM (#71726 - in reply to #71721)

Expert

With the economy the way it is I'd take a deep breath,let it all settle and buy used.Even shop surrounding states by computer etc.You'll get a lot more bang for your buck.Stay away from steel.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-24 10:13 AM (#71735 - in reply to #71721)

Expert

With almost 1500 used trailers in your price range, you should have a chance to purchase one with most of the options you will want. Most full sized LQs have a full bath, with a shower and toilet, our most important consideration when we bought a trailer. A sofa/bed versus a dinette is a toss up and enjoyed by both owners. A trip to a dealer with your family in tow might help decide which would be more practical. I wanted a dinette, the boss wanted a sofa. We got the sofa and like it a lot.

A cook top is handy when you don't have an electrical hookup available for a microwave. An oven for us is unnecessary. The hot water heater, air conditioner and refig are all pretty much standard on most LQs, and are needed and wanted.

Mangers are debatable with both camps touting which is best, yea or nay. They afford extra storage but at a price of a smaller stall area. I've never needed or wanted a generator, hated those running late into the night. An escape door on the front stall is an option to shoot for, even if the stall is only used for storage.

Ramps vs step up loading is always debatable as to which is best. An insulated stall area is a plus, loading lights, drop down windows on the butt side, butt bars instead of chains, 60 -40 rear doors, moveable rear tack are all items you may want. A 7 1/2' high trailer is more comfortable for larger horses than a 7' model

I prefer an all aluminum over a steel/aluminum trailer. In the north east a steel frame has rust issues. We recently sold our last steel trailer. For a family of four, an LQ of 10' would be a minimum, 12' better. A mid tack is a great space to have and we are able to store many of the things that would end up in the LQ area. Most campers have an audio system installed.

A boom box or portable DVD player is easily added, or for a more permanent installation, a used automotive radio/cd player can be purchased for a fraction of the cost of an RV radio. They are powerful, compact in size and very reliable.

Go to some shows and talk with some owners about their likes and dislikes. Combine that with your shopping experience and you should get a pretty good idea what you'll need. As an aside; its easier to put up with an appliance you don't need, than have one you want and don't have. Buy a fully equipped LQ and you should be set.

BOL  Gard

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-11-24 12:44 PM (#71739 - in reply to #71735)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2007-11-24 9:13 AM

A 7 1/2' high trailer is more comfortable for larger horses than a 7' model

The 1/2 foot in height also translates into more head room in the sleeping area above the GN.  This was a must for me ... Sitting up and getting a bump on the head makes me grumpy all day.

coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-11-25 10:24 PM (#71799 - in reply to #71721)

Regular

30 thousand is sure a lot of hotel rooms..............Are you really going to use your lq that much? I have to say there are pros and cons of hotel versus living quarters...lets hope I didn't open up a new debate!!! It just seems the sky is the limit on these living quarters..........and that doesn't count your tow vehicle and horses!!!
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-11-26 9:51 AM (#71820 - in reply to #71721)

Extreme Veteran

I would go with the bigger fridge. I have had the 3.3 and there just isn't enough room in them and no freezer space to speak of. I have had a Sooner, Sundowner and now a Hart. The stall area of Harts are insulated real good. I leave my walk thru door open for my dogs and it doesn't get to cold for them in the winter. I have friends that use the stall area for their kids to sleep in. Clean it out good, put in cots, or just sleeping bags and you have an extra room. When it is cold they run an extension cord back there for a heater. When you go look at them just spend some time in each one, get the feel of them, take the family, like someone else said. Good luck. And for people out camping motel rooms aren't very feasible. Some places I go I'd have to drive back 50 miles to get a room.

Edited by longearsrule 2007-11-26 6:19 PM
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-11-26 11:16 AM (#71828 - in reply to #71721)

Extreme Veteran

Most of these questions, you will need to answer yourself. Gard also provided a good response.

Cooktop--Will you use it? Do you cook over the fire? Do you have a reason for the cooktop that the fire doesn't satisfy?

Shortwall length--What is the minimum in order to fit everything in and sleep X number of people comfortably?

Mangers--How big are your horses? Do you need the storage? Would feed bags or corner bags suit you as well?

Mid-tack--Does all your gear fit in the rear tack? Is storing some tack in the LQ acceptable? Is the extra trailer length a detriment?

Dinette or sofa--Would you use the dinette or just eat outside? If you mainly eat outside, would the table be nice for other uses? Will it be used as sleeping space?

Aluminum or Steel--Too complicated for this thread alone.

Built in stereo--Will you listen to it? Would a battery-powered radio work as well?

Generator--Will you have electrical hookups available? Do you need electricity at all? Would a separate generator be more feasible/practical?

Budget--What is the minimum I would have to spend in order to get everything you need or want?

Other general questions you may want to answer are: Where will the trailer be used, where will it be pulled, and where do you camp? Somebody who only pulls on paved roads to flat campgrounds with electrical and water hookups has very different needs than somebody who pulls down two-track forest roads to remote areas with no amenities and camps for weeks at a time.

I don't know if this was much of a response, or what you are looking for, but I hope it helps some. I want you to know that I was not trying to imply any answers by the questions I wrote, just trying to help by getting you thinking.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)