'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Place to trail ride in IN-OH

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-16 10:03 AM
7 replies, 4231 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

marym
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-09-16 10:15 PM (#68006)
Subject: Place to trail ride in IN-OH

Looking for a place to trail ride this week in North East IN and or North West Ohio. I have a friend from MN that started out last week and is now around Big rapids MI trail riding. She will be traveling toward IL and back up to MN she still has a week and a half to ride and would like to find a great place to ride..So if anyone has any ideas let me know in the next few days and I will let her know. She has a LQ trailer to stay in and prefers State/National parks. Thanks MaryM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-17 6:18 AM (#68011 - in reply to #68006)
Subject: RE: Place to trail ride in IN-OH

Extreme Veteran

Brown Co., IN.

MidWest Trailride in the Hoosier Nat'l. Forest.

Shawnee Nat'l. Forest, IL.

All have wonderful riding and camping facilities.

RIDE ON!

whoaboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-18 4:04 PM (#68070 - in reply to #68006)

Regular

I second Midwest Trail Ride but it isn't in north east Indiana at all! I have heard of Tippiecanoe or Potato Creek, but not sure exactly where they are but I THINK it might be Northeast.
Dunagain
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-09-20 5:34 PM (#68192 - in reply to #68006)

Regular

I haven't been there, but a friend went just about a month ago and loved it...Salamonie Reservoir or Lost Bridge (same area I think.) I've heard the trails are challenging, can be very muddy after a rain, but it's beautiful if trails are dry. It's been dry all summer here, so they should be great. It's located in NE Indiana (northwest of Fort Wayne I think.) Sorry to be so vague, but the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Website will have more. The horseman's campground is primitive (no surprise!) but I hear the scenery is beautiful and there are hours of trails. I hope to make it there by the end of this fall. Happy Trails!
Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-09-21 8:23 AM (#68208 - in reply to #68006)

Veteran

I live in Northwest Ohio, just west of Toledo.  Waterloo Recreational Area is in Chelsea, MI, rather than Ohio, but it's just an hour north of us.  Great trails.  http://www.waterloohorsemen.org/ 

We also have Van Buren State Park, just north of Findlay, OH.  We've been there twice this summer.  http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/2/parks/pdf/vanburen605.pdf

AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-09-21 10:13 PM (#68256 - in reply to #68208)

Veteran

Salamonie does have some nice scenery & you are right - unless they've changed it, the trails can get slick/muddy in rainy weather.  Lost Bridge *used* to be a totally different area (on the other side).  The old campground was nothing fancy, but not many used to use it so you had lots of privacy.  We covered alot of miles there.  Waterloo in MI is also a great place to ride!  That was our favorite place to head when we didn't want to haul over 2 hrs.  Campground is primitive, but nice spaces.  Potato Creek is pretty much flat & there is also a regular campground there - not the place I would choose.  Never made it to Tippecanoe....& never heard any rave reviews about it either.  Waterloo is a pretty big campground (& it seems like there is a private campgrounds near it too), so should always be room.  Salamonie was supposed to add more spaces since they didn't have alot. 

ANP
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-10-12 7:18 PM (#69280 - in reply to #68006)

I live in NE Indiana and have ridden all the trails identified.  Potato Creek is flat...very easy ride.  Trails are well marked and can easily be ridden in a couple hours.  Tippee provides more challenge and diversity but nothing exciting.  Salamonie is diverse but has a tend. to get really muddy/slick as already mentioned.  There is a place called York Hills Horse Park near Albion that is wonderful.  Miles of trails...very diverse from wooded to fields...hills/water/flat.  You can read more about this place by going to their web www.yorkhillshorsepark.com There is also a place in MI called Russ Forest that has nice trails.  Hope this helps.
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-10-16 10:03 AM (#69444 - in reply to #68006)

Extreme Veteran

Keep in mind it is HUNTING season in Michigan so be sure to wear bright orange if you are going to ride at Waterloo.  Even then we have had problems with hunters messing with riders.  I am not sure of the hunting seasons in Ohio and Indiana, but pretty sure bow season and musket season for deer is either upon us or close to it.  For me once it reaches October, I don't trail ride on state land or Federal land anymore.  Don't care to run the risk.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)