'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Water tank under nose opinion.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-12 3:30 PM
7 replies, 4151 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ISHOM
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-01-10 10:42 AM (#53653)
Subject: Water tank under nose opinion.

Regular

I'm looking at purchasing the water tank that fits under the nose of the gooseneck.  It is flat and thin and I do have plenty of clearance (some trailers don't).  If you have one or had one....what's your opinion? Like/dislike why or whynot?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-01-10 6:46 PM (#53676 - in reply to #53653)
Subject: RE: Water tank under nose opinion.

Veteran

I looked at the under nose water tanks online, but talked myself out of it by thinking, "if I mount it up under the nose how will I fill the thing"?  Maybe there is a way that they have devised, but I had changed my mind.  What I did buy was a flat tank to set in the bed of the truck that gives me another 30 Gal. capacity.  This worked pretty slick, as I used it with out the horse trailer.

Turfa

jailer
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2007-01-10 10:50 PM (#53686 - in reply to #53653)

I also looked in to buying one of them, there is a hose you can get to fill your trailer up or your buckets for the horses. The down side of it is water weighs so much per inch that it puts a lot of extra weight on your truck. The up side is you can always fill it when you get to your destination providing they have good water where you are going. I am still trying to decide myself, I think it would be good when camping in primitive where the water always seems so far away even with the extra weight. So I am leaning more towards buying one.
ISHOM
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-01-11 7:40 AM (#53691 - in reply to #53653)

Regular

It sounds like everyone else has had the same concerns as I have, ie; filling concerns, weight etc.   I have been useing (sp?) the 5gallon plastic fuel jugs that you buy at walmart that are made for fuel and then marked them w/spraypaint as "water" and we fill them and put them in the back of the truck.  They have built in handles etc. so are pretty easy to handle.  I guess I'll just stay with them.  I have a slant corner water tank but I collapse my tack all the time to haul motorcycles, mower etc so it's more to move AND it's not easy to get to behind the saddle rack so I took it out.  Thanks for your opinions!
fastguard
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-11 8:30 AM (#53692 - in reply to #53653)

Regular

fastguard
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-11 8:33 AM (#53693 - in reply to #53653)

Regular

I had a water tank installed under the gooseneck in my last trailer and it worked very well.  I actually had it plumbed so that it would work off of the water pump inside my trailer.  So I had a spigot to wash the horses, fill buckets etc.  My friend had her trailer done too.  The only "issue" - if you keep your trailer exposed to sunlight, you need to make sure you empty it or it may grow mildew inside.  I kept mine under a shed and never had any problems with it.

Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-01-11 1:48 PM (#53713 - in reply to #53653)

Extreme Veteran

I'd be concerned about the extra tongue weight. Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon. Even a 20 gallon tank would add 160 lbs to the tongue weight. Make sure that your truck hitch specs give you that much excess capacity.

I have a 65 gallon plastic tank that fits in the front of the truck bed. Bought it at Farm and Fleet. BUt, TSC and most ag stores have them in various sizes. It's designed for agriculture use. But we just sanitize the tank before a trip. I have a 10 foot water hose w/ garden hose fittings that screws into the tank's outlet, and a shut off valve. Then I just gravity feed into the regular trailer tank when I need to or, into a bucket to water the horses. Total cost less than 100 bucks.

Also be careful to empty out any tank after use so you don't grow mold.
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-12 3:30 PM (#53780 - in reply to #53653)

Veteran

I installed one of the corner mount tanks in my living quarters in the corner of the long wall against the first stall wall (I finished out my lq myself). Angle is about right and this uses the otherwise wasted space in that tight angle corner. There is also a tank made that should fit under your bottom saddle rack in your tack area that you can just slide into place. One other option I have seen is that people mount the flat tanks on top of the trailer...the only issue with this is the sun heats the water, it make you trailer top heavy but not sure if that an issue and I always had a concern if you were in an accident the tank may become a projectile...We have friends that have a tank mounted under the gooseneck and they like it fine. The weight on this 20 gallon tank is minimal unless you are really marginal on your truck capacity. The only drawback to most of these setups is that you cant gravity fill them...need a pressurized water source.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)