'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
gn or bumper pull

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-10-09 8:32 PM
7 replies, 4005 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

WVbarrelracer06
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-09-27 12:00 PM (#49217)
Subject: gn or bumper pull

Veteran

I have a question im in a market for another trailer, I have a gn trailer right now but im not sure if i want to stay with it or not i love the way the trailer pulls. and im trying to downsize to a 3 horse. It is better on fuel miles to pull a gn or bumper pull is what im asking. I have a 99 model Ford F350 crew cab larait dullay. which would be more better to pull a bp or a gn for fuel miaege\

thanks

jess

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rattler
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-09-27 1:06 PM (#49225 - in reply to #49217)
Subject: RE: gn or bumper pull

Regular

If gas mileage is the one and only criteria and all other factors equal...weight, width, etc.... logic would say a bumper pull would have less wind resistance, thus better mileage.

Now for the editorial comments...from a safety perspective, I would stick with a gooseneck as whatever mileage/dollars gained with a bumper pull wouldn't begin to cover your new blood pressure medication.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-27 1:36 PM (#49228 - in reply to #49217)

Expert

Originally written by WVbarrelracer06 on 2006-09-27 12:00 PM

I have a question im in a market for another trailer, I have a gn trailer right now but im not sure if i want to stay with it or not i love the way the trailer pulls. and im trying to downsize to a 3 horse. It is better on fuel miles to pull a gn or bumper pull is what im asking. I have a 99 model Ford F350 crew cab larait dullay. which would be more better to pull a bp or a gn for fuel miaege\

thanks

jess

I wrote a summary in an old thread of two similar runs that I did. They were similar with respect to weather, route and urgency (there wasn't any, I had time on my hands for both). The BIG difference was that in one case I was hauling 2 horses in a bumper-pull trailer, in the other case I had 4 horses in a gooseneck trailer. The numbers that I remember are 13.5 and 13.7, so for every $135 that I would spend in fuel pulling the bumper-pull it would cost me $137 pulling the gooseeneck. OK, bigger tires - ST235/85R16 vs ST225/75R15 higher tire costs over time.

The conclusions that I came to were;
Once the bigger mass is rolling it doesn't take much more to keep it rolling.
At highway speeds the Gooseneck trailer and truck is better aerodynamically, i.e. the trailer is drafting behind the truck. With the bumper-pull trailer TWO very separate vehicles are being pushed through the air. If you go fast enough it becomes ALL about wind resistance.

From other measurements around town and on rural secondary roads the bumper-pull is about 2 MPG better than the gooseneck trailer. The difference in mass dominates, stop/start at intersections, etc.
Approx 12 against 14.

So, on fuel use ALONE the answer will depend on what sort of miles you're doing. The BP is a winner on secondary roads, the gooseneck wins on highways. Of course taking 4 horses down to NC wouldn't have been an option with the 2 horse BP trailer anyway (2 trips ? just NO !).
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-27 2:18 PM (#49230 - in reply to #49217)

Extreme Veteran

"love the way the trailer pulls"

I think you already answered your question. If you like pulling a GN why not just go with a smaller one? I think you will miss hauling a GN when you buy a bumper pull.  When it comes down to which trailer is going to save you $$ at the fuel pump, I dont' think it really is worth debating. If you are concerned with pinching pennies why not downsize from the dually to a single rear wheel gasser and buy a bumper pull.

My thoughts exactly...............

Edited by MIfarmbabe 2006-09-27 2:19 PM
shequila16
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-02 12:25 PM (#49502 - in reply to #49217)

Regular

I have a 3-horse Titan Avalanche BP and I LOVE it!   Pull it with a Silverado and you don't even know it's there!!  Wish I could get a GN but truck is lease vehicle.

ntxkboy
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-10-04 12:13 PM (#49597 - in reply to #49217)

Good question.  Agree with comment if you are interested in mileage then downsize the truck.  I look at it this way: do I want to put stuff in the bed of the truck when I haul (then bumper pull); do I want to put a cover on the bed of my truck (bumper pull); which is easier to back (GN); which seems easier to pull (GN); which distributes the weight when pulling (GN) - w/ bumper pull and not good suspension or hitch, the nose of the truck will rise slightly (steering/handling).

Only you the owner can determine which you like best.  I haul both:  GN stock and two horse bumper pull (depends on the need at the moment).

Rick

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-10-09 7:19 PM (#49811 - in reply to #49597)

Expert

I just got back for a trail ride and the gn and my f-250 gas got about 11mile per gal I thing gn are better
RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-10-09 8:32 PM (#49817 - in reply to #49217)

Veteran

Assuming you continue to drive that truck and only change the trailer, and just tow the trailer occaisionally (as opposed to every day) I don't thing you will ever see any significant fuel savings by changing trailers. 

Just one rolling pony's opinion.

Roll on

Edited by RollinPonies 2006-10-09 8:34 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'