'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Where to install after market generator?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-31 12:11 PM
7 replies, 7880 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-07-27 3:06 PM (#45528)
Subject: Where to install after market generator?

Elite Veteran

I want to install an aftermarket generator on my gooseneck trailer.  Where are some logical places to put it?  I am thinking hayrack, but may end up with a different trailer with no hayrack, under the gooseneck with the propane and batteries (if there's room, which doesn't look likely at this point), in the rear tack (again, room issue).  I don't have mangers with storage either.  Any other ideas? 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
halfpint23
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-07-27 3:31 PM (#45529 - in reply to #45528)
Subject: RE: Where to install after market generator?

Veteran

I'd think with a gasoline powered generator (or propane burning, etc) the first things to consider are ventilation and fueling, with output harness a close second. You can't enclose a running engine due to heat and fumes, and it needs to breathe too. Being able to get at it for maintenance is great - and I'd not want it overhead, so when the oil is changed it runs down the side :(Just came back from the Event at Rebecca Farms in Kalispell, where I saw more BIG trailers than I've ever seen in one place before - all dry camping on the farm, and more generator and solar setups than you can shake a stick at. I even saw one magnificent (no other description cuts it for this one) LQ 4h head to head that had it's generator on a slideout tray - up front, drivers side, in front of the big living room slideout. They just pull out the drawer, start the motor, plug in the trailer's pigtail and go indoors to enjoy the A/C (and in 100-plus temps all weekend, that was a blessing). These folks even ran a long cord over to their horses' stalls to power the fans for the ponies!Let us know what you figure out!
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-28 11:06 AM (#45573 - in reply to #45528)

Elite Veteran

I don't like "installed generators" for all the reasons already listed. I really like generators that are protable and can be placed where ever you want them. We have a 4000 watt generator that we leave in the back of the truck. I unhook the GN from the truck so no vibration transfers to the trailer when the generator is running, plus I can padlock the generator in the back of the truck. If we are remote, I have the option of placing the generator 50' away on a 12/3 extension cord. Happy trails.
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-07-28 4:15 PM (#45605 - in reply to #45528)

Elite Veteran

We had a Genrac generator installed in the rear (finished) tack in a box built for it to fireproof.. the tack floor was pre-vented out the bottom. The gas tank (marine/other) was installed under the manger with a vent for it to the outside and all wiring was in aluminum conduit. It has a remote start in the LQ and we like it better than the Onan's we've had in past.. it is very quiet. Think carefully before going with propane because you must take the whole trailer to have the tank filled at an RV place or somewhere propane is available... other than that it would be fine. The external generators do not protect your electrical system from surges of power... that could cause a problem...?
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-07-29 11:29 AM (#45631 - in reply to #45528)

Extreme Veteran

When I had the generator installed im my trailer I had it put in the rear tack on the floor. The gas tank is behind the saddle rack in the rear tack, which I like alot. I think if I had it to do over, I would have it put up roof to save room in the track area. I often wonder if generators on the roof ever get wacked by a tree or something. I'm the wimpy girlie type, so I'm not up to moving a portable generator around and perfer to just flip the switch. I discussed with the installed about putting it in the manager, but I didn't want to lose the storage space, and he thought it was risky having the gas tank and generator in the manager due to fumes. I know it is done all the time, so it must not be that risky.

-Betty
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-30 8:30 AM (#45664 - in reply to #45605)

Elite Veteran

calamityj, couldn't the propane generator run off of bottled propane?  I think I've seen a propane generator that runs off of bottled propane and that would eliminate having to take the rig when you get it filled, just the bottle. Just wondering?

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-07-31 7:50 AM (#45704 - in reply to #45528)

Elite Veteran

You could carry the smaller bottles 20-30 LB s but if you wanted a decent supply of fuel, you need 100# or more for regular usage (say, over the weekend or on a vacation) mounted under the gooseneck securely....those kind would need to be filled at an RV station.. AND, you use at least 1/3 more fuel than gas per gallon,per hour...example: gas- 20 MPG/ propane-less than 15 MPG...
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-31 12:11 PM (#45725 - in reply to #45704)

Expert

I looked up onan's lp generator and it said it a 25lb tank would last 41 hours at full load.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)