'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
I want an F350 Cummins with an Allison tranny.....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-18 4:44 PM
7 replies, 3199 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-07-18 10:29 AM (#44919)
Subject: I want an F350 Cummins with an Allison tranny.....

Elite Veteran

You know, it's personal preference. Trucks that is. I'm a Ford man, always will be, but I try not to bash other folks when they ask for an opinion on a GM or Dodge product. But some people on here are like the energizer bunny, they keep going, and going, and going.............long after the thread has run it course. So here's useful info the next time you want to recommend the Dmax or Cummins to a newbie.....you gotta be fair you know.

Now lets have a little bash fest.........Dodge had the weakest trannys and recalled 03' 6 speeds, as of this year recal #F19 rollover hose valve refit because of water in the fuel, also fuel being contaminated from the tanks, a PCM flash due to hard starting for the 06's, safety recall E17 out of park warning system install because the tranny can slip out of park on the 06's, and I could go on for others back further..................but who needs to, thats just this year!

Chevy/GMC Duramax was having bypass issues with contaminates getting back in the crankcase, in March 2006 there was a recall for glow plug failure resulting from incorrect control module programming for the glow plugs, in June 2004 all 2000/2001 Duramax owners were given an extended warranty for injectors to 200,000 miles or 7 years because of two distinct types of failures mentioned in the special policy as being included in this new extended warranty - high fuel return rates due to cracked injector bodies and/or ball seat erosion, and in August 2005 GM did a voluntary fuel filter replacement because the crappy OEM filter they used was allowing contaminates that were damaging the injector system, and that was for everything they put the Duramax in including the Kodiak.

The moral of the story is that ALL of them make mistakes, and not one of them is perfect. So get over bashing and just call it what it is............Your preference............

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crs996
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-18 10:39 AM (#44920 - in reply to #44919)
Subject: RE: I want an F350 Cummins with an Allison tranny.....

AMEN!  Intead of brand bashing, I want BETTER MANUFACTURING and quality control from all 3, (and a Cat motor.)  :)
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-07-18 12:46 PM (#44930 - in reply to #44919)

Elite Veteran

Wow, 56 views and no comments...............all the bashers must be working right now, or maybe they see the reality now...................No truck is perfect...........except mine when it isn't broke down.
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-18 2:01 PM (#44956 - in reply to #44919)

Extreme Veteran

Actually that was a rumour I heard only it would be in a GM truck. Was hoping one of our writers hear may have heard something about that, whether it confirms it or not.

So if it's not just a rumour and something that could happen would you buy a GM with a Cummins and an Allison tranny???

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-07-18 2:18 PM (#44963 - in reply to #44919)

Expert

Being how I probley fit the description of basher, I'll respond. I'll take one of the F-350 Cummins/Allisons also. I say you hit the nail on the head with the title of your thread. Ford makes the best truck as far as doors, interior, room, and creature comforts. Dodge far and away has the best diesel motor on the market. GM does have the best transmission on the market. So I have a 04 Dodge/Automatic 325/600 no electric windows or door locks, rubber mat on the floor, cruise control, It was hard to find, my dealer had to travel 320 miles to get this truck due to no electrics and having cruise. The only modification to the truck is an aluminum aftermarket trans cooler that is placed inline with the factory one, I put it on the truck when it had less than 1000 miles on it to address the trans problem(it's really a heat problem). I still use a paper air filter on the truck, no chips or other garbage on it. Just turned over 80,000 in two years and it has never been back to the dealer. My last three trucks were Ford powerstrokes all three(95,99,02) had at least two trips back to the dealer in 80K, with the 99 having about 4 trips in 80K. My Dodge may come apart tommorrow but so far it has passed all expectations that I had for it. Plus it pulls the same trailer that the 02 did with alot more ease. That's real world, not paper facts.
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-07-18 2:27 PM (#44965 - in reply to #44919)

Elite Veteran

Dodge does seem to have beer low end torque thanks to the inline 6. I have seen a Ford with a Cummins and a 6 speed in it, and I must say it was pretty cool. The gent bought a totalled 03 Dodge and had a 03 Ford that had a worn out 5.4 litre v8 in it. Uses it for a pulling truck. And as for the real world, I have a 99 SuperDuty that has not been in the shop for anything engine related, but I did have to have the tranny rebuilt at 128k and the ball joints replaced. Other than that it's still going strong, knock on wood. Some are good, some are great, and some just suck.
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-18 4:25 PM (#44978 - in reply to #44919)

Elite Veteran

You can have a 650 with cat and allison or buy a used school bus with a cummins and allison and bolt er in.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-07-18 4:44 PM (#44980 - in reply to #44978)

Extreme Veteran

Yea and when they shift it will throw your horse down and sound like you left the trans in the road. They are all pretty good trucks and all have had there problems. Like the man said it is a matter of preference. Some people are bi-polar on trucks way high one time and way low another.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)