'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Replacing Ramp and Changing it a little bit....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-01 6:26 AM
7 replies, 3000 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-06-29 10:24 AM (#43782)
Subject: Replacing Ramp and Changing it a little bit....

Regular

The back ramp on my "new" trailer (ha ha) is completely rotted out and must be replaced. We have a friend who does welding and fabricating and has offered to do this at cost (whee hee!). Of course, upon examination yesterday, we have decided that we might want to change some things...

First of all, the ramp is short. The top doors are large. Do people still travel down the road with the back doors open for ventilation, or is that a no-no? I would be afraid to pin these doors open - the ramp is so short that it would just come above my big warmblood's hocks. So, we are thinking we may have the new ramp made longer, and the doors shortened. Is this more work than it is worth? Second - the ramp and all the doors on the trailer are held shut with steel "pins" - kind of like a gate latch. How common are these? They seem very secure, but sometimes you have to "wiggle" them to slide them over, and I've noticed the previous owner has put electrical tape on them where they come in contact with the metal of the ramps - maybe because they rattled, or to prevent them from rubbing.

We want to "get it right" the first time, so any advice is welcome! Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-06-29 11:43 AM (#43789 - in reply to #43782)
Subject: RE: Replacing Ramp and Changing it a little bit....

Elite Veteran

I see trailers with the top half of the rear door open all the time and it does keep it a lot cooler for the horses.  You would need to make sure they hold in place tightly of course for safety issues and wind resistance. 

I think your idea of shortening the top doors and making the ramp longer makes sense.  You will of course get a variety of opinions as many people are opposed to ramps, but I have prefer to have a ramp and would want to keep it in your case. My ramp is half the size of the opening, but closes up inside the trailer with 2 full length doors on the outside.  I lift the ramp up and use clips to secure it to rings on the top of the door/wall.  (not sure if this explains it right).

Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-06-29 12:00 PM (#43790 - in reply to #43782)

Regular

Thanks! Of course, these changes will increase the amount of $$ we spend so I need to be able to justify the expense.

I would like more ventilation - it's a big trailer but only has two bus windows, one on each side, and two of those small little wheelie-type vents, one on each side at the front. My mare sweats a lot when trailering and so I'd like lots of breeze - but not so much that she blows away!

The top doors pin back with some sort of pins - hubby knows what they are - you insert a little pin-type thing...not sure what they are called, but I keep having visions of them flying off going down the highway! Hubby insists this is unlikely, but I'm a worrier.

I like the ramp, I know some don't, but I do, and it's staying, shorter or longer whatever :)
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-29 3:33 PM (#43803 - in reply to #43790)

Extreme Veteran

If you lenghten the ramp, you will increase the weight of the ramp, and it may not be light enough for you to lift.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-06-30 7:30 AM (#43821 - in reply to #43782)

Elite Veteran

I can lift mine by myself, but you can get a "spring" (can't remember the right name) that is installed near the hinges that will enable you to lift them very easily.

They weren't able to install one in mine since it's inside the outside doors, but if the ramp is on the outside as in her case, they are installed all the time.

Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-06-30 10:43 AM (#43829 - in reply to #43782)

Regular

Thanks guys. The side ramp (it has that too) is much longer, more like the length of the one we want on the back, and I can lift that one no problem. Well, almost no problem, one of the springs needs fixing :)

It certainly needs some work!!! LOL! Thanks!
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-01 5:57 AM (#43855 - in reply to #43829)

Elite Veteran

Gaelic, seeing is believing and my suggestion is looking at a lot of trailers before you spend the money to modify yours. Take the time to look at a lot of trailers that already have ramps on them from the factory and try to copy what they've done. They have to do it right the first time due to "product liability" insurance. Their underwriters won't let them produce a product that the insurance company is taking a big risk on.

As for the doors, I don't like riding down the highway with doors open.  I know a lot of people do it all the time, but I'm not one of them for too many reasons to list.

Our 3 yr. old horse trailer has a ramp and I wouldn't have ordered one on the trailer. The trailer was a "show special" and was pretty much loaded for the show. Since I've used the ramp for a while, I really like it and my horses still have to "step up" into our old trailer.  Just my opinion, but I think horse trailers are safer for the horses with a ramp in case they are hit in the back by another vehicle. Since you are a worrier, this should justify getting a bigger ramp. haha

Vents are not hard to add whether they are in the side or on top of the trailer. No matter how hot it gets, I'd rather open up every window and vent I have on the trailer, than ride down the road with the back doors open. I like having the back doors open about as much as I like having the horses heads stuck out the drop down windows! Happy trails.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-01 6:26 AM (#43857 - in reply to #43782)

Expert

WOW !!!
I guess I'm just TOO YOUNG to remember trailers with ramps that short (-:
Most trailer floors are at about 18 inches off the ground and ramps seem to usually come up to butt bar height. Any increase in ramp length will have a few effects;
a) Heavier, but only about half the additional weight will have to be "lifted" from the ground to close it (wheelbarrow effect).
b) Flex. Since it will be bridging a greater span you might need to have it stiffened up a bit.
c) Easier to walk up, though any added flex might be disconcerting to horses - so DO have it stiffened up.
d) Shorter top doors, as you already noted.

I sometimes drive with the top doors folded back, especially if it is very hot and I am on side roads or jammed in traffic. I generally close them up once I get to the highway.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)