'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dead paint on older trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-07 9:44 AM
7 replies, 3094 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ArabHorseLover
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-06-01 9:45 AM (#42490)
Subject: Dead paint on older trailer

Regular

I have an old trailer (1977!) which I bought a few years ago. I recently had it checked out (mechanically) and they said everything is great (obviously the floor, etc has been replaced since it was new). The trailer is white and it has a ton of dead paint on it - bad enough that if my daughter leans against it with her show clothes on, there's a good chance she'll have white on her outfit.I'm thinking about hiring my 12 yr old nephew to wash and wax it... is there any special product we should use to try to get this excessive dead paint off? Or just put him to work with one of those motorized buffers? thank you!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
santelikk
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-06-01 10:07 AM (#42493 - in reply to #42490)
Subject: RE: Dead paint on older trailer

Regular

I never knew paint was alive?   Anyhow, I would suggest getting the trailer sandblasted but if that is not an option get some 50-75 grit sand paper with orbital sander to get that paint off before you repaint.  If you have acces to a pressure washer you might be able to accomplish the same task with out as much effort.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-01 10:16 AM (#42494 - in reply to #42490)

Expert

Originally written by ArabHorseLover on 2006-06-01 9:45 AM

I have an old trailer (1977!) which I bought a few years ago. I recently had it checked out (mechanically) and they said everything is great (obviously the floor, etc has been replaced since it was new). The trailer is white and it has a ton of dead paint on it - bad enough that if my daughter leans against it with her show clothes on, there's a good chance she'll have white on her outfit.I'm thinking about hiring my 12 yr old nephew to wash and wax it... is there any special product we should use to try to get this excessive dead paint off? Or just put him to work with one of those motorized buffers? thank you!

I admit to having read the subject line in the worst possible way )-:
I'd pressure wash it first, if the remaining "dead" paint falls off your course will be clear. If it is just an oxidised layer that is "chalking" then maybe a wax and buff will solve your problem.

Hmmm, '77 ? That might have been pre-EPA paint changes, I don't know. Neither do I know whether or not small manufacturers were affected at the same time or some years after the big auto companies had to change their paint emissions. By '87 cars and trucks were being affected in a serious way, I do know that much {as a consumer victim}

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-06-01 10:29 AM (#42495 - in reply to #42490)

Elite Veteran

Had a red vehicle that the paint died on also. Rubbing compound first, then wax, made it look new again. Use the rubbing compound sparingly and stay out of the sun when applying.
ArabHorseLover
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-06-01 4:00 PM (#42509 - in reply to #42490)

Regular

Oh my - I suppose that subject could have been read differently than I planned. Sorry for the confusion... Dead paint... think of when you wax your vehicle - that oxidized layer that comes off to show the nice shiny paint - that's referred to as dead paint (at least it is around here!).Terri S - sounds like you understood completely. The paint hasn't been waxed in who knows how many years so it's higly oxidized. (I've only owned it a couple of years) I'm not planning on repainting - I just want to get rid of that oxidized layer on top.Rubbing Compound - I knew there must be something I could use besides normal wax.thank you!
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-01 6:02 PM (#42520 - in reply to #42509)

Expert

Rubbing compound, an electric buffer and a 12 year old might be exactly the wrong mix. He needs to keep it MOVING !!!

If it goes from dull white to bright white to bright silvery, he's gone too far.
If it goes from silvery to daylight he's gone WAY too far.

Yes, "dead paint on older trailer" a nice ambiguity,
but only bones would be left after 29 years (-:
S Farmer
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-06-01 10:10 PM (#42524 - in reply to #42490)

Ive had good luck removing the oxidized layer of paint with a product called nu-finish its a liquid wax comes in a orange bottle got it at Farm& Fleet or at Wal-Mart in automotive section. Apply one area at a time when it dries to a haze wipe it off with towel. You'll need a bunch of towels cause they get full of the chalked paint that you remove good luck
ArabHorseLover
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-06-07 9:44 AM (#42721 - in reply to #42490)

Regular

Reg, after reading more about the compounds, I think your right. But I see there's a "cleaning" product that's between a wax and a compound - sounds like we'll give that a try with LOTS of supervision. :)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)