'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll Trailer Loading Problems

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-15 11:57 AM
7 replies, 3881 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

susan2811
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-03 10:19 AM (#41240)
Subject: Trailer Loading Problems

I have an 8 year old paint mare that I need to transport from Alabama to my new residence outside if Chicago. She had a traumatic trailer experience when she was 4mos old and have had to sedate her for any trailering. I'm afraid of oversedating or undersedating on this 800 mile trip. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a small 2 horse straight load, bumper pull. Would she do better in a bigger trailer?

Thanks

Sue

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-05-03 12:50 PM (#41251 - in reply to #41240)
Subject: RE: Trailer Loading Problems

Expert

I'd put her in the trailer and let her figure it out on her own. She will be fine in about 30 minutes. I have had the craziest horses in the world in the back of a trailer, I haul TB mares to breeding sheds, First problem they are TB's second problem the hormones. I have never sedated a horse for hauling. I have taken a t-shirt and covered their eyes to get them loaded before though.
verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-05-03 1:23 PM (#41257 - in reply to #41240)

Regular

The last thing you want to do is put this horse in a trailer when she/he is afraid. It will just make the problem worse. If you put something over their eyes then load them in the trailer and drive off it is really unfair. You need to work with getting them in the trailer without being afraid. I had the same type of horse. It used to take hours to get her in the trailer now she just walks right in. By giving your horse drugs you are not fixing the problem. I am not a horse trainer but I know from experience you need to take the time to fix the problem. Last year I took my horse from CA to CO alone. As the days progressed it took longer to get her in the trailer. When it came time for me to return to CA from CO I couldn't get her any where near the trailer. After several hours of trying to get her in the trailer someone came along and helped me. The information I was given made it so that I can now walk up to the trailer with my horse and she goes in and stays in, with confidence.

Good luck,

I hesitate to recommend any DVD's on this forum because it always bring out bashing but there are some good ones out there.
susan2811
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-03 2:24 PM (#41263 - in reply to #41240)

Thanks for both suggestions, prior to moving near Chicago, my plan was to bring her with me, I was scheduled to start a new job 1/-1/2 weeks later. Prior to the plan, I parked the trailer in the yard and put her feed in it so she would have to get in it to eat. Daily I put the feed farther and farther inside until she finally had to get in completely, which she didn't seem to mind doing after a while.When it came time to leave I couldn't get her in. I tried everything, bribing with snacks, the shirt over the eyes, etc. After 4 days I finally coaxed her in, then made the mistake of attaching the lead to the inside of the trailer. I also had plenty of help the first couple of days which made her more anxious, so I continued alone.Once I attached the lead loosley she panicked , jumped around, and flipped on her back, choking herself.Luckily I was able to untie the lead before anything happened. I knew then it was going to take me along time to get her into that trailer again. I had to leave her behind.I'm afraid to hire a transport cause I don't know anyone that's used one and don't want her abused to get into a trailer and more traumatized. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-05-03 4:54 PM (#41269 - in reply to #41240)

Regular

So, are you saying your horse is not with you? If that is the case, you are unable to work on loading. I certainly would do alot of research on haulers. I'd also check with your vet. It would be much easier on your horse it another horse was in the trailer. If you could find a hauler that was taking more than just your horse (picking your horse up second) and dropping your horse of first so another horse was always in the trailer that would be good. I've never used a hauler but people do it all the time. Get references and ask alot of questions.
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-03 6:09 PM (#41271 - in reply to #41269)

Veteran

We have used Bob Hubbard Horse Transportation on two separate occassions, they have been excellent both times.  The first time was about 15 years ago for my friends horse that wouldn't load in a normal trailer.  He got to his destination relaxed and happy and without a drop of sweat on him. 

BHHT isn't cheap, but they have the big semi trailers with both standing stalls and box stalls.  Maybe this would be a good solution for your horse, she might not feel so clausterphobic (she might not even realize it's a trailer) in a big rig.   I have friends who have used a couple of other transportation companies with good results, PM me if you would like their website addresses.

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-05-03 9:45 PM (#41279 - in reply to #41240)

Extreme Veteran

Hang in there you can teach this horse to load. 

I have a horse that had the same problem starting out.  With his first trainer he flipped himself over and another time lunge up in the manager and back against the back door and ended up with stitches in his head.  The worst was when he set back going in and reared up and ended up cutting through two muscles and an artery in his leg. 

I finally found a wonderful trainer who really worked with me and the horse together so now I'm able to load him myself.  I have taken the dividers out and give him plenty of space and I usually drive him in I don't lead him in.

It's a training issue and if you don't work with it, you'll always have loading problems.  I highly encourage you to spend your money towards a good trainer that can work with you and your horse or just your horse if you can't be there.

Good Luck!

cascadia
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-05-15 11:57 AM (#41739 - in reply to #41240)

Veteran

Hi.  I feel your pain.  I have two horses that were bad trailer loaders.  I bought an old cheap bucket of rust trailer with the configuration I planed to use (two horse straight load with mangers and ramp.  Because that's what everyone in my family has).  I backed it up to my round pen and parked it there.  I would never haul horses in that trailer!  However, it was one of the best investments I ever made.  Here's what I did.  I lunged my horses and only let them stop by the trailer.  Finally, they wanted to stop by the trailer.  The trailer became a good place to be.  I built up from that.  I didn't get mad.  I didn't get frustrated.  But they learned that the trailer was kinda cool.  I fed them on the ramp.  I moved treats inside (I know trainers say not to use food but it worked).  I used dog training methods.  I used a command the same way in the same voice everytime.  "Load up!"  It also helps if you teach your horse some comand to take a step forward on the ground.  Anyway-- if they came out, I lunged them.  If they pawed or did anything goofy, I lunged them.  I made a game of partly loading them and backing them out.  Finally, without halters or lead rope, they would "load up!" on command.  Wait for the back up command and they were calm.  So I put halters on, loaded them up, closed the back door and then clipped the leads.  I try always to do it in that order when loading alone, because the worst wrecks I've seen are horses pulling back and flipping over.  Later I moved the trailer to different spots on the property and went through the same routine.  I bought a trailer I really love, it's a used 89 Logan Trojan in fantastic condition. Yesterday was the first time I loaded horses into it.  Both remembered "load up!" from last Summer and loaded quietly and perfectly the very first time.   If you can't afford a "practice trailer" you can make one with a piece of plywood for the floor and pvc pipe and tarp for the roof and walls.  I did this for a friend, reasoning the if a horse can learn to walk into that on command, they will load in a trailer.  My bucket of rust was $500.00 including repair to make the ramp safe.  It was hideous but the floor was safe.  This method can work on some horses really quickly, mine were hard cases and I don't have any help so I needed to train the horses and myself in some way that would be safe and stress free.  In a nutshell-- make being out of the trailer more difficult then being in it.  If you don't have time-- try backing your horse alot, back them up over and over starting at the trailer.  Eventually they will want to stop backing up and go forward-- to the trailer.  And that is always rewarded.  If you have no room, back them in a circle around the whole rig.  Don't get mad and bash them backwards, just make backing up the alternative to the trailer until the horse decided that the trailer is a better idea.  Anyway-- this has worked for me. Hope it helps. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)