'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Help on 2 horse trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-10 9:38 PM
7 replies, 3004 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

LassieLu
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-09 4:42 PM (#38545)
Subject: Help on 2 horse trailers

Hi,

I have been looking into trailers for quite a while, would like to get a 2 horse bumper pull, I think a slant load (or stock combo? - but a straight load w/removeable divider would work too, lol).  This would be my first trailer and can't justify buying new right now.  I only have one horse, a WIDE and still growing paint horse that I am not sure would be able to get into the older 2H straight loads.  We will be using a Dodge Durango that can pull up to 5600 lb trailer, so I want to keep the trailer under 3,000 lbs.  Any suggestions? (Would just be doing light trailering to local fun shows, trails, etc.

I looked at Calico - but they GUARANTEED it would rust, plus it only has brakes on 1 axle.  How does that affect trailering?  I want a small dressing room so I can store things where I board.

Love Merhow, just can't afford.  Someone has an 'abandoned' Aluma Lite trailer '84, looks nice but they said needs 1 axle fixed.  They aren't sure how heavy it is, plus the title issue scares me.  Anyone know about those trailers?  Can you guys help me?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
LassieLu
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-09 6:38 PM (#38554 - in reply to #38545)
Subject: RE: Help on 2 horse trailers

LOL, don't everyone speak at once!  Anyone have ANY input on 2 horse trailers...Steel vs. Galvaneel, Steel frame alum. skin?  Pros...cons...Does Galvaneal really last longer?  I am in MO and this trailer would be stored outside.  Someone told me about trailer covers..anyone with experience on these?  Good/bad?

I am thinking more of slant or stock combo - to allow for more room.  Does the padding seem to really make a difference vs. non padded?  I really like the warranty/standard options on the Shadow Stablemate...anyone know of something similar that is comparable? lol, come on guys, help me out!  You guys know so much!

Swartz Trailer Sales
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-03-09 7:26 PM (#38556 - in reply to #38545)

Depends on how much you are willing to spend.S&h builds a great trailer and it has a warranty for rust,it's made with galvanneal.In the $4,000-5,000 ball park should get you a brand new one.Depending what you want on it
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-03-09 7:41 PM (#38557 - in reply to #38545)

Veteran

L.L.,

I'm not sure about the trailer makes that you've mentioned.  Never delt with either, but as far a the one trailer only having brakes on one axle, that is fairly common on those smaller trailers, if your truck brakes are O.K., and the ones on the trailer work, you should be fine there, exspecially with just one horse.  I would personally recomend some type of a stock-combo, but I'm just partial to them cause I truck livestock for a livin' and that's what I use. They seem so versatile to me.  Your Durango should be able to handle a 12' stocker, that would shure leave ya with some extra storage up front if your only gonna leave enough room for one hoss, even if he/she is on the "wide" side!   As far as aluminum etc., that very topic has been talked about a lot here.  Whatever works best for you, yeah aluminum is a bit lighter and won't rust, but is more expensive.  Steel is cheaper but doesn't have the best resale value if you're not gonna keep it long.  The debate can go on and on... whatever is gonna fit you your stock and checkbook the best is the right choice!  Hope that helps a little bit.

Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-03-09 7:48 PM (#38558 - in reply to #38545)

Veteran

SwartTrailerSales,

Check your in-box, I P.M.d you.

Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-03-10 2:49 PM (#38616 - in reply to #38545)

Veteran

Very smart move on the dressing room / tack room. My first trailer was a 2 horse straight load with under manger tack.....loved the trailer but hated the tack being under the manger. I got tired of wrestling with getting saddles in and out of the small space. If you can find a swing out saddle rack or a rear tack which is separate from the dressing room, you will probably be happier. Trying to negotiate a saddle through the DR door while stepping up into the trailer or down from the trailer can get to be a hassle. I prefer a separate tack area in the back of the trailer so you have more room in the DR and it doesn't smell like wet, sweaty horses all the time. However, that would limit your search to a slant load.

Stock combo would be a great option and that would keep the weight down a little bit. I would prefer aluminum if I lived up there where they use salt on the roads for snow removal - once the trailer rusts you basically have a throw away or a lot of repair costs. JMO.

CM makes a good trailer and I have also heard fairly good things about Keifer for a mid-quality trailer. Good luck in your search.

Edited by Champhorse 2006-03-10 2:52 PM
LassieLu
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-10 4:11 PM (#38623 - in reply to #38545)

Thanks for the responses!

There is a 3h stock/combo CM for sale at our barn, that is a '96.  It has a bunch of small rust spots here and there, but I suppose that is pretty good for a 10 yr old trailer? 
Does anyone know what kind of warranty they include?  I think S&H is now out because of the warranty/repair.  I don't have a local dealer and wouldn't want to deal with driving hours for repairs.  Does anyone know of trailer brands that offer better warranties...more than 1 yr bumper to bumper, etc?  The S&H person said it was 3 yr structural.  I thought I saw somewhere they had a 5 yr warranty against rust?

Thanks again for your replies!!!

Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-03-10 9:38 PM (#38640 - in reply to #38545)

I had a CM 2 horse BP, slant load, front dressing room, Dakota.  It was a nice trailer for the $$$.  I owned it two years before upgrading to a GN and sold it for $200 less than what I paid for it.  Sweet deal for me.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)