'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Feeding the horse: Art or Science

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-11-25 8:39 AM
7 replies, 3865 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-11-23 12:37 AM (#33357)
Subject: Feeding the horse: Art or Science

Extreme Veteran

To me it is alittle of both. But everyday I hear about a new fad or an old wives tale about feeding horses, that really has no benefit to the horse at all, or in excess can actually do harm. Let me give you an example and I don't mean to be cruel or disrespectful: feeding bran mash to prevent colic. There hasn't been any proof that it does prevent colic. True it is palatable and it is a good way to increase water intake, but I've always been told that fiber is the way to stay regular. In excess bran mash is high in phosphorus and can block calcium intake leading to big head or bran disease and that is harmful to the horse. So I was wondering, just how do others feed horses. Do you evaluate research or do what your father and granfather done before you. Or maybe you just buy from the feed store guy.

Edited by hconley 2005-11-23 6:54 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-11-23 7:32 AM (#33359 - in reply to #33357)
Subject: RE: Feeding the horse: Art or Science

Extreme Veteran

How about common sense?

Actually word of mouth, and their experiences and success when it comes to grain I feed to my horses. As far as supplements, they were advised to me by my veterinarian.

I have a 30 year old mare that I have had for 22 years and she has been "healthy as a horse", so I must be doing something right, but also give a lot of credit to her genetics.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-11-23 9:16 PM (#33390 - in reply to #33357)

Expert

I don't do much of any kind of supplements. Just a good hay for the most part. I don't give them any grain, except as a rare treat or when I'm pakcing in the mountains and they don't have time to forage or the grass is thin. In the really cold part of the winter, I'll add some soaked beet pulp. Mainly to make sure they are getting enough water intake during the cold weather. But it's less than 5% of their daily feed intake. Beet plup is relatively inexpensive here in my area, so it's a inexpensive way to stretch my hay budget. And taking a steaming bucket of plup out to horses makes ME feel like I'm doing something to help them stay warm in the cold.

My horses also view the beet plup as a treat and gobble it up. So I use it in the summer before a long ride or endurance race to pump some extra water and electrolytes into their system.

As far as hay. Utah is known for it's premium alfalfa and it's hard to buy hay that is not alfalfa based in this area. But I try to buy first crop that has a much higher grass content than second or third cuttings.  I also try to pick up some bales of oat hay. It's hard to find, but I can usually get enough of it to mix 1/3 oat with 2/3 Grass/Alfalfa to reduce the protien % and calcium content from the alfalfa.

In 12 years of raising horses,(I've got 5 horses currently) I've never had a case of colic or founder. My vet bills have been limited to annual shots, floating teeth and a case of strangles. My farrier loves all my horses feet. My horses are all in good flesh and compete well in the CTR and endurance rides that I do. So I think I'm doing something right and I've been very lucky. So I agree with hconley that most of the fads out there just are not neccessary. Just give the horses a good forage.

If you want to read some articles about beet plup, Calcium vs phosphorus, and the metabolics of distance horses look at Susan Evans Garlinghouse website. http://shady-acres.com/susan/index.shtml

Edited by Painted Horse 2005-11-23 9:20 PM
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-11-23 11:06 PM (#33397 - in reply to #33357)

Extreme Veteran

Myself, I feed just good hay, except when I have my horses in the feedyard working them, they will get some grain. I throw out a salt and mineral block. The mineral block is mostly for the micro minerals. My pasture isn't really that great, (because of the drought the last 5 years my pasture has been overstocked), and I basically feed hay year round. I don't use any potions or powders and I have a tendency to read labels for any product I use on or in my horses. I do sample my hay when it comes from a different field ,owner,or cutting. I'm happy and my horses seem happy and I know they are healthly.
sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-11-24 7:11 AM (#33400 - in reply to #33357)

Veteran

Well I feed mine a sweet feed that is 10% protein 6% fat and 9% fiber. I add coastal hay, source and a little pasture. My pastures were just reseeded so I only let the horses on the pasture 2 - 3 hours a day weather permitting.

My horses look great and aren't cranked up. Considering they are mostly stalled I am proud of their temperments.

When I go on a ride I feed the same amount of grain and feed all the coastal they will eat and one slab of alphafa hay.

I also feed a hot bran mash because they love it. I don't have trouble with anything except bumps on a horse I bought from TN. I am hoping I won't have them next year.

I love feeding extras to the horses. I have an "eating disease" myself.
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-11-24 11:42 AM (#33410 - in reply to #33357)

Extreme Veteran

Mine's a little bit of both. Since moving away from home into a new area with different types of horse people and different "normals" I have changed some things - learned some new things, but also have different options available here. The big one being my horss now live out - and thrive that way. Doing barefoot now too with great success.

Through what I've learned I've also helped my mother revamp her grain for a problem we'd never had before - TB type hard keeper - because I'd learned a lot about what works for those here in hunter land. Like my horses now live out - on pasture for about 6-8 months and hay the rest. Hay is usually good here (last year was bad too much rain) so 2 only get a mineral suppliment to balance them out (KER all phase) and my filly does get a 12% protein, 18% fibre, 3% fat grain (KER Phase 4) - she was a rescue case and needed grain when she came - I've changed her grain since then (from the yearling formula - KER again) but have never taken her off grain completely because - well she looks good, works well - so if it aint broke.....

The only other things I feed is BOSS, I like the effect on coat on feet, and my one horse with navicular gets MSM and isoxuprine - I've been slllooooowwwwly weaning him off the isoxuprine though - down to 10 a day and still sound... we'll see.

Other than that - they may get a bran mash for a treat on a cold day. Though I am considering adding a little beet pulp this year when the temp drops to stretch the hay (at $4 a bale - almost twice last years price - I think I'll give it a try)

I too have never had a colic - 5 years here and 23 years at home. - knock on wood!
AZ_newguy
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-11-24 10:34 PM (#33421 - in reply to #33410)

Originally written by MBRA518 on 2005-11-24 9:42 AM

... to stretch the hay (at $4 a bale - almost twice last years price - I
think I'll give it a try)...

$4 dollars Canadian? What a bargain! In the Phoenix, AZ area: bermuda grass- $10.50, alfalfa- $9.99 American. Lets trade hay prices, but you can keep the cold and snow.
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-11-25 8:39 AM (#33426 - in reply to #33421)

Extreme Veteran

Well.... just $4 - I make Canadian money so the exchange dosn't help me much LOL... I realize our hay is not the most expensive by far... but when you are expecting $3 max - it comes as a bit of a shock. - I was actually told $3 by the farmer but yeilds were at 1/2 this year - so once they realized that the prices had to go up.

Actually I think a lot of Ontario hay gets shipped down there.

But I'll keep the hay prices - and the cold.... I complain about our hot and humid summers - I don't think I could handle AZ's
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)