'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
American Spirit

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-20 4:02 AM
7 replies, 4456 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

psyncere
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-16 3:33 PM (#26697)
Subject: American Spirit

can someone give me the real scoop on an american spirit horse trailer the good and bad, especially compared to a Bison.  thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-16 4:34 PM (#26701 - in reply to #26697)
Subject: RE: American Spirit

Extreme Veteran

You can do a search on on here for American Spirit. It has been a topic on here before.

From what I have heard, American Spirit came from  a guy who worked for Bison Manufacturing and developed his own line of trailer.

I haven't heard anything bad about them..........but remember all trailers will have their good and bad points with different people.

efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-06-16 7:32 PM (#26712 - in reply to #26697)

Elite Veteran

Here is the scoop on Bison vs. American Spirit, IN MY OPINION. Bison was owned by Tim Doogle and maybe partners, but Tim I know for sure, and Thames Goon was General Manager BEFORE THEY WERE BOUGHT OUT IN 2002(3?). They made a right decent trailer for the price. It had some quirks, like any trailer, but decent. I have owned 3 Bisons. 1. Bison 16ft open stock, steel. Nice trailer. 2. 2001 Bison Trail Hand 2hrse BP, steel. Great trailer, held up well even being pulled in Indiana winters and I sold it for $500 less than I paid for it 3 years later. 3. 1999 Bison Alumasport(still own), 3hrse, w/Bearcat LQ. The ONLY 2 problems I have ever had due to the trailer manufacture is a leaky roof seam(which was bound to happen eventually), and the ramp springs needing replaced. This trailer sustained major water damage to the LQ this winter due to an accident and has just had a new LQ installed by LSR Conversions, owned by Lewis & Shery Ragland, and is the company that installs alot of American Spirits LQ's. It is immaculate and the finishing touches are wonderful. They gutted my trailer and totally redid it.

Bisons new owners fired almost everybody that had more than 5 yrs experience if I remember correctly, and made a decent wage, within the first 6 months. Thames and two partners started American Spirit, with Thames son Taylor as engineer. The young man has been around this business all his life, owns and hauls his own horses, and is a graduate of Purdue Engineering School. If memory serves me Thames hired almost all the employees Bison let go, and having been in the facility and seeing them build trailers I can tell you what you don't see is the pride in ownership they put into the building of these trailers.

Bison on the other hand has been hit and miss on quality since the sell out. They started cutting corners, and I noticed more sharp edges than I care to think about in the last new one I looked at. Not to mention I've heard a lot of leak problems on the new Alumasports from folks I know. There is one poster here that loves their new BISON, and apparently got a good one so maybe they are getting better. If I were going to buy a BISON, I'd buy the all aluminum Stratus, as it seems pretty well built compared to the alumasports.

If I hadn't had a truck blow up 1800 miles out of warranty, a daughter graduate high school, and start college and unforseen medical bills all within the last year I would own an American Spirit today. And my next trailer will most likely be an American Spirit because I like and trust the people who are building them. And that's my two cents worth.

Let the beating begin. And if anything I have stated is incorrect I am sure that someone from American Spirit will set the record straight in this thread, as Thames and Taylor both frequent this site to see what people like, dislike, do and don't want in a horse trailer.

efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-06-16 7:38 PM (#26714 - in reply to #26697)

Elite Veteran

Hello again. I agree with MIfarmbabe, all trailers have good and bad points, and I'm sure American Spirit has theirs occasionally, but I bet they back it up. Call American Spirit and ask to tour the facility, and then call Bison and request the same. If Bison will let you in you can see the differences in how they are put together. Then make a truly informed decision, because these things aren't cheap and your gonna have it a long time most likely. The two plants aren't an hour apart.

haul_n_horses
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-06-17 7:17 AM (#26724 - in reply to #26714)

Regular

"...and unforseen medical bills..."

Ed,

unforseen should be spelt unforeseen, but otherwise all looks well

haul_n_horses

Edited by haul_n_horses 2005-06-17 7:18 AM
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-06-17 7:39 AM (#26725 - in reply to #26697)

Elite Veteran

Hey I didn't gadiate form Pudrue like ewe TG. Guess I ought to try that spellcheck thingy huh?
Erin_CBT
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-17 1:50 PM (#26739 - in reply to #26697)

I think that Bison is coming out with some really nice trailers now, as is American Spirit. Most of the things that were problems with the Bison lately, they have fixed on the 05's. The Stratus trailers are very nice all alum. trailers. I would check both out thoroughly before making a decision.
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-20 4:02 AM (#26786 - in reply to #26697)

Veteran

I have a new '05 American Spirit that I REALLY like. Mine is a 12ft. sw and it is very well laid out. No wasted space with LOTS of storage. I had only seen a 10ft sw when I ordered mine. I had seen a layout on paper but thats not the same as seeing one, but I didn't realize how much space it would have.  I have had people that have Sundowner, 4-Star, C-C, and other higher end trailers, see the trailer and comment how well it is put together. They have all liked the interior, (LSR conversions), lay out, quality and workmanship. I have had guys that have done their own and others LQ say that I did real well  with this trailer.  I had one small problem when I first got the trailer and called the dealer. They in turn called LSR and they called me and walked me thru finding where  the problem was and fixing it. The dealer wanted me to call them back and let them know when I got it fixed, if I hadn't they were coming to get to trailer and taking it to fix or fixing it at my place. Thats service.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)