'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Middlefork State Park Oakwood IL

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-26 1:18 AM
7 replies, 8473 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

millironk
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-04-27 12:52 PM (#119433)
Subject: Middlefork State Park Oakwood IL

Regular

Does anyone have any comments on Middlefork State Park in Oakwook IL.  I cannot find info on the horsecamp or the reservation process.  thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-04-28 7:13 PM (#119489 - in reply to #119433)
Subject: RE: Middlefork State Park Oakwood IL

State Park Contact Information:
Middle Fork State Fish and Wildlife Areas
10906 Kickapoo Park Road
Oakwood, Illinois 61858
Phone: 217-442-4915
Email: john.hott@illinois.gov
Adopt-A-Park Contacts:
Photography: add your photos

State Park Overview:
The Middle Fork State Fish & Wildlife Area is located 6 miles north of the Interstate 74 exit at Oakwood. The area consists of 2,700 acres of grass, forest and cropland, and provides excellent wildlife habitat. The area is bounded on the east by Kennekuk Cove County Park and on the south by Illinois Power Company's Vermilion Station. The site received its name from the Middle Fork branch of the Vermilion River which flows between Kennekuk Cove County Park and Middle Fork State Fish & Wildlife Area. The Middle Fork River passes out of the Middle Fork Wildlife Area into Kickapoo State Recreation Area about 10 miles downstream. At Kickapoo you can enjoy family camping, picnicking, fishing boating, mountain biking and rent a horse for a short trail ride.
Reviews By Park Visitors:
visitor rating: (1 vote) |Post Your Own Review
We love it here

I always enjoy a nice weekend here. It is away from the crowded streets of the city and the scenery is wonderful. It is a great spacious area to relax.
Written by Dee 30-Jul-2009

Camping:
The Middle Fork State Fish & Wildlife area has Class C, D, and equestrian camping facilities. Other classes of camping also are available at nearby Kickapoo State Park. The state park facilities are readily accessible from the Kickapoo canoe take-out point at the park's west entrance. Kickapoo is located five miles south of the Middle Fork State Fish & Wildlife Area.
Trails:
There are 35 miles of marked scenic equestrian, cross-country skiing and snowmobiling trails in the Middle Fork State Fish & Wildlife Area, and nine miles of designated hiking trails are available at nearby Kickapoo State Park. All marked trails are accessible from the parking lot near the office at 2400N, just off Road 900E.
Picnicking:
Small day-use areas are located near the campgrounds, office and canoe accesses, providing picnic tables and rustic sanitary facilities. Canoeists, hikers and fisherman also may prefer to picnic along the rivers or trails. Please remember to properly dispose of all litter.
Fishing and Hunting:
Fishing

The Middle Fork River offers the angler opportunities for such species as smallmouth bass, bluegill, sunfish, crappie, channel catfish, walleye and bullhead. Access to the river is by footpaths at Kinney's Ford, Higginsville Bridge and Bunker Hill.

Hunting

Large populations of upland game make the Middle Fork State Fish & Wildlife Area a popular area for many hunters. Generally, federal and Illinois Game Regulations regarding seasons, bag limits and huntable species are in force in all parts of the park. However, special regulations apply to some species. These regulations are available at the hunter check station or the office at Kickapoo State Park, located 5 miles south. All hunters must register before hunting the area.
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-04-30 8:22 PM (#119562 - in reply to #119433)

Veteran

We go there alot...it is only about an hour away...trails are fun. varied..hills, flat, open , shaded, along the river a few river entery points...river is deep and swift..crossing might be a risk...never tried it

campground is fairly large..lots of big trees for shade.. the day parking ..well, sucks!!  open area, hot, little shade..no where to tie off except to trailers...on the really busy week-ends ( memorial day, 4th july, labor day ) the campground fill up really quick and spills over into the day parking.  :(   There is a dumping station, water spigots ..no electric or water hook ups...

they do hunt the area at certain times of the yr...that can be alittle un-nerving...lots of wildlife..deer, turkey, etc.

I am not sure they do reservations..we never have..just show up..they have a drop box for pmt if the camp host misses you...camp host is there most every week-end, for advise, help, guide.. they are not park rangers..they just "keep the peace"

Dunagain
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-05-11 10:19 PM (#120031 - in reply to #119433)

Regular

Middlefork is primitive camping but lots of shade and trees. No real camp "sites" although they put in hitching rails in the last few years that sort of helps define the spaces. It's one of my favorite places, but some of the trails can be wicked when there's mud. I enjoy it, and have crossed the river when it's low enough. Only two places to do that though, and since many don't go to the other side, the trails can be overgrown and there's often a lot of itchweed that drives my horse nuts. I enjoy it. I've never been able to find the whol "35 miles" of trails they advertise, but it's a nice weekend of riding on the trails I do know. Good luck!
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-05-16 1:14 PM (#120230 - in reply to #119433)

Veteran

LO..been there many time and didn't realize there were trails across the river..where are the river crossings ?

I sometimes wonder if there are 35 miles of trails myself...I guess it doesn't matter really..it is a fun place for a day ride or a week-end getaway..I enjoy the fact it is only about 1 hour 15 min drive for me..  :) less driving..more riding..

Dunagain
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-05-25 8:40 PM (#120573 - in reply to #119433)

Regular

Dunagain
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-05-25 8:47 PM (#120576 - in reply to #119433)

Regular

For the first crossing, you take the sandy path that goes along the river and continue straight until you see the trail turn into the river. There used to be a concrete bridge that crossed a gully that empties into the river, but that's long gone now and there's a fence or something that stops you from continuing, so you have to go in the river. The exit on the other side of the river is a muddy deep cut out on the other bank. Last year, there was a fallen tree over the bank, so you had to be careful not to get knocked off when your horse started going up the bank while struggling to pop out of the mud. Needless to say, I can see why many people don't take it.  The other crossing is about 2 miles down the river. There is a little sign with a horse and an arrow that points to the woods toward the river. This is the area with the TON of itchweed...on both sides of the river. I wish they'd do something about that, because they really are pretty nice trails across there. There's an upper and a lower trail. Lower trail is through woods, but often very muddy. Upper trail spends a lot of time riding at the edge of a corn field.  Would love to go down there this weekend, but I bet it will be really muddy and really crowded. Oh well!  Maybe if we get some more trails in the northern halves of our states, we can spread out a little!  Happy trails!

luvarabs
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2010-05-26 1:18 AM (#120587 - in reply to #119433)

There are some nice places to ride and camp up here in  Northern IL....They don't have 30+ miles of trails but very nice campgrounds and well taken care of trails...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)