'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ length

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-05-14 11:03 AM
7 replies, 3983 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

CurlyRidingcowboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-05-13 3:54 PM (#104864)
Subject: LQ length

I wish Horse Trailer world would put a feature in to select maximum length of a LQ when searching for trailers. Starting to look at LQ and some just get to long to trail ride with.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RAF
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-05-14 7:35 AM (#104891 - in reply to #104864)
Subject: RE: LQ length

Regular

the normal LQ length for trail riders are 7 ft wide and 8 - 10 ft LQs
show riders perfer the 8 wide larger LQs hope this helps
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-05-14 7:54 AM (#104895 - in reply to #104864)

Elite Veteran

Trail riders have all widths and lengths. The 8 foot wide will give you extra storage if there are mangers. There is more room in the living area too. My friends have anywhere from 8-14 foot living quarters.
luckysid1
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-05-14 8:48 AM (#104903 - in reply to #104864)

If being able to get in and out of a camp spot is what your asking. Consider the length and the axle location. By moving the axles around you will cange your turning radius. On the flip side of that you will change the tail swing. That is something the salesperson at the dealership should be able to help you with. By moving your axles to far forward you may not be able to have an escape door.
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-05-14 10:16 AM (#104916 - in reply to #104864)

Extreme Veteran

There are lots of factors to consider.  How many horses are you hauling?  If you are hauling 4 horses then a shorter SW like a 8' to 10' would still be a long trailer to have to pull and back into campsites.  If you are only hauling 2 horses than a longer SW would be great.  Most trail riders seem to have a 3H 8' to 10' SW and 8 ft wide trailer.  I would go 8' wide over 7' especially if I went with a shorter SW.  We sleep 4 in our trailer and 4 horses so ours is pretty long with a 14' SW and a slide-out.  Slide-outs are also wonderful ways to go with a shorter SW and still get lots of space in the LQ.  We love ours and cant imagine camping without it now.  I agree to check the axle placement.  Make sure you have a good turning radius; especially with a longer rig.
mmry1257
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-05-14 10:23 AM (#104918 - in reply to #104864)

Regular

We have a 36 nose to tail trailer with 8ft shortwall. It has a couch, small frig(wish I had a bigger one) small stove, nice bathroom and lots of cabinets and closets. We live in ours for 7 days in May and 9 days in August, and all most every weekend in between. It is a 4 horse so the first 2 stalls are for storage. Once we get set up the awning area is where we spend most of our time when not on the horses. We had a much smaller one 4 ft short wall that just wasnt enough. The main thing when looking is how much time will you spend inside and how much time outside? Cooking inside? Will there be bathrooms where you camp or will you need one( Our first one didnt have one and that was the 1 thing I insisted on cause some of the bath houses were nasty! MAKE SURE IT HAS AN AWNING! hope this helps. happy trails
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-05-14 10:56 AM (#104924 - in reply to #104864)

Extreme Veteran

One way you might could narrow the search is by using the price field. It would seem that the LQs with the longer SW would be more expensive. I agree with you that it would be nice to have more fields to search but you have to admit this site is better than most to search through. I am no longer searching as I found my dream trailer but I spent many an hour going through trailers on this site. I do like that you can now ask for trailers with mangers. Maybe the next search addition could be LQ length.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2009-05-14 11:03 AM (#104925 - in reply to #104864)

We prefer the 8' wide LQ's for trailriding. We do show some, but I always think about  living in the trailer on those week long rides.  I like all my creature comforts so my LQ trailers are usually longer thasn most. I have found that I can get a 28' trailer in about anywhere they have rides if I am using the 4x4 to pull it. That is more of a concern to me than length of trailer. But I can't get everything I want in a LQ and keep it 28'. I am currently pulling a Bloomer 3H 17'SW  that is 34 on the floor, I think. So far, I have not had any issues other than whether the truck can get it thru the wet grass and mud. But, I have been this long before and it does get tight trying to get into a crowded camp. I compensate that issue by trying to get there early enough to get parked before the crowd. I don't have an escape door on my 3H because my wheels are set more forward than usual to get into more places. I am OK with that since I have ample storage for the items I would usually throw in the front stall.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)