'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Batteries

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-22 6:50 AM
7 replies, 4019 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-01-08 5:10 PM (#97163)
Subject: Trailer Batteries

Elite Veteran

Another little tid-bit that I'd like to share.  Since we bought our 3h LQ, we find more reasons to take it out and use it.  We've started using it a little more in the winter time when the weather is not bad or brutaly cold.  This year, I decided not to take the batteries out and not to put anti-freeze in the water system.  I keep a little electric heater running in the trailer and it has a thermostat on it that I can set so if the trailer is warm, the heater shuts off until it's needed.  I purchased a "battery tender" at the local hardware store and hard wired it to the batteries.  It's not really a battery charger as we know it, but it will keep the batteries warm and keep them at a charged level when not in use.  It will not charge a dead battery, just maintaine a charged batter.  I keep the trailer plugged so the little heater works and ran an extension over to the battery tender.  It puts a really small charge on the batteries and doesn't put a drain on wallet when the electric bill comes.  I thought about getting a solar charger, but where I have the trailer parked, the solar wouldn't do a good job.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a couple of thoughts that seem to be working for me and letting me use the trailer in the winter.

deranger

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-01-20 5:49 PM (#97885 - in reply to #97163)
Subject: RE: Trailer Batteries

Extreme Veteran

Do you have an automatic battery watering system from Flow-Rite on your batteries?

As you charge them they are evaporating. 

Worth every penny and minutes to install

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-01-20 9:17 PM (#97899 - in reply to #97885)

Elite Veteran

I'll check it out, but all my batteries are supposed to maintenance free?

deranger

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-01-21 6:13 AM (#97908 - in reply to #97163)

Elite Veteran

I bought my first self contained LQ and this is my first winter with it. I added the antifreeze to the lines and the holding tanks.I have the trailer power plugged in. My ? is what about your holding tanks and I also have one pipe that runs under the trailer. How do you keep those from freezing with a heater on the inside? As far as the batteries if the shore power is plugged in won't that keep them charged up?

Sometimes I think I need a LQ for Dummies book....

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-01-21 6:16 AM (#97909 - in reply to #97163)

Extreme Veteran

Hmmm I have seen that too but every article I read on RV or marine batteries discusses proper watering.

If I were you I would shoot a note too bob@janwp.com at JWP, He spent an evening emailing me back and forth with good documentation and advise.  Which convinced me in the end to go with his company.  And to boot one of the items was damaged on arrival and they quickly sent out another no questions asked.

I have three Batteries:

1- JWPQF1 Dual 12V battery kit- $62.00

1- JWPQF2 Single 12V battery kit- $31.00

1- JWPQF3 Pump $17.00

Link to web store-

http://janwp.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=JANWP&Category_Code=BWS_12V

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-01-21 6:30 AM (#97913 - in reply to #97163)

Extreme Veteran

Antifreeze in your holding tanks will protect them,  The pipe to the tank if it is not full of liquid the expansion of the freeze will not damage it.

Call your LQ company.  Not the trailer company.  They are always willing to help.  I learned all I needed to know from my Harmar installers and then on the web.

If you did not pump the pink stuff thru all your lines you should  ASAP,  Drain your HW tank and pull the plug for the winter (Buy a new one if it is 75% gone)Don't put the pink stuff in the HW tank.  Float a few cups in the crapper it protects the seals.  Run it thru the shower and then cross your fingers.

The batteries on a LQ charging system unless it is modern and has smart technology will run dry in a few weeks.  Beware and check into this.  You need to find out what type of converter is running your rig.

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-01-22 5:54 AM (#97973 - in reply to #97163)

Elite Veteran

We ran the pink through all the lines including shower and toilet We didn't drain and unplug the HW tank. We ran the pink stuff through everything...Dang did I mess up? I guess I need to check the battery fluid then....It was fine when I parked it...

Thanks for the info.....

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-01-22 6:50 AM (#97975 - in reply to #97163)

Extreme Veteran

The Pink stuff is bad for the inside of the HW tank.  It will destroy the anode.

Not traumatic just bad.  Inside there should be bypass valves to divert the winterization fluids.

When I drained mine I noticed there was a lot of sand in the bottom so I hooked a tube to my hose and then took another tube about three feet long.  Ran the hose to flush the sand and siphoned the bottom with the 3 foot length at the same time.  I bought a new anode at the local RV store fresh for spring.

Worked like a charm.

Check what kind of converter you have.  Some of the newer ones have the 3 stage smart technology charging capacities.  Some you can buy an add on to upgrade. 

I took that route and now I can really leave my trailer plugged in 24 x 7

Three stages are Charge, Storage and boost.  (Lack of better words)

Check on the web lots of nice articles.

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volta.htm

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'