'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Off Topic, But...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-04 7:21 AM
7 replies, 3745 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-11-03 7:44 AM (#94125)
Subject: Off Topic, But...

Extreme Veteran

I just have to share with my camp and trail buddies.

My grandson, Layne, celebrated his 3rd birthday yesterday.  He is a happy, healthy, smart little boy with a brand new bike.

IMG_1515.jpg picture by teapot1965

Three years ago, this day seemed like an impossible dream.  Layne was delivered 16 weeks premature.  He weighed only 1lb, 2oz and dropped to a mere 14oz in his first 24 hours.  At a little more than 10 inches long, he would have fit inside my shoe!!  We were told to be prepared for vision, hearing and brain impairments.

IMG_1530.jpg picture by teapot1965

And so we prayed.  HARD!

Today I am giving thanks to God and Kosair Hospital for a miracle named Layne.

And the next time you pass a donation bucket for Kosair Charities, remember Layne and drop in a dollar or two.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-11-03 8:31 AM (#94128 - in reply to #94125)
Subject: RE: Off Topic, But...

Elite Veteran

Wonderful update!!! Cute photo. <;p]

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-03 11:06 AM (#94140 - in reply to #94125)

Elite Veteran

Congrats on your birthday!! Good for ya'll!!! How great that Layne has no lasting difficulties! We feel the same way about Texas Children's Hospital in Houston.... My 11 year old son was born 8 weeks premature, with a diagnosis of End Stage Renal Disease.. He also had small "premie" lungs.. We were told that if he lived to 6 months of age, then his chances of survival would go up to 50%..There were many times in his early life when we  were afraid this would be our last day. I can't say enough about the doctors and nurses who went way beyond the call of duty for our son and our family.. They pulled him through many crisis (sp?).. Now, almost 9 years after a kidney transplant (mine) at age 2, he is doing great!  He does have to wear glasses and has some low range hearing deficits (more from medications administered, than from actual medical/premie issues) and has a few other small problems, but for the most part, he is a rockem' sockem' little boy!  It has been a very humbling experience (I have personally watched a miracle occur) and a strength-building one as well... I had no idea how strong of a person I was until I had to be..Now when i get to whining about how I wish I lived in the mountains, or that I could have/do this or that, I have to take a step back and remind myself how lucky I am to have what I have..

Edited by ridingarocky 2008-11-03 11:09 AM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-11-03 7:34 PM (#94182 - in reply to #94140)

Expert

Congrats on the 2yr mark.  I hope he stays healthy!

I'll second that about Tx Childrens Hospital.  We made the trip twice a month for 2 years while they were trying to sort out my daughters stomach.  They offered to put us up in the Ronald McDonald house for our bi-monthly trips to help us with costs but I had family in Alvin that we could stay with.  They never found out what was wrong with my daughters stomach, but they never stopped trying, unlike the rest of her Drs.  The problems quit on their own and the Dr said if it starts back up to call him and he'd send her to John Hopkins.  Very nice people.  I'm not sure I like their beepers though........

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-03 8:17 PM (#94189 - in reply to #94125)

Elite Veteran

We stayed in the Ronald McDonald house many, many times (the newer one, not the older one) NOW, it is situated in the hospital itself (which has grown HUGE, by the way) My son stayed in the hospital for 16 -17 months (one admission) from his first birthday until after his second.. I put 100,000 miles on a brand new Ford Contour in one year.  We had a couple of tough times after his transplant.. Once he was here in Driscoll's Children's Hosp with pneumonia.. He was on a ventilator, but still not doing well. His renal (Tx Children's) doctor called several times a week to see how he was doing and offered several times to have him flown up to Houston.. I kept replying that we'd wait another day and see.... Well, Trey got really bad and I was afraid he was going to die, so i called up his renal doc and told him that I was afraid, and the flight team was there to get him the next morning.. They actually had to wait a couple of hours because he was too unstable to transport.. He was so short of breath that he was sleeping in a sitting up position and just gasping.. The flight team started talking about how they weren't sure if they could take him because he surely wouldn't survive the flight. All of a sudden, he sat up and looked around and seemed a little brighter, so they unhooked him and took him right then.. That is my proof that there is such a thing as miracles. 
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-11-03 9:17 PM (#94196 - in reply to #94125)

Expert

Congratulations and blessings to Layne and his family!

My best friend's son Harry was born in Feburary around the date of the Challenger shuttle tragedy.He was not due until May,approximately 4 months further out.

He eventually lost his vision,but today,he is about to graduate from college early,and is on the Chancellor's list.He is to attend a school in Minnesota for blind adults to prepare them to live independently,and has been accepted to the University of  West Virginia,and is also considering Boston University.

These boys are genuine living breathing MIRACLES!!!

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-11-03 9:19 PM
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-11-03 11:14 PM (#94206 - in reply to #94125)

Extreme Veteran

awww - what a cutie.  I am happy to see that miracles do happen :)

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-04 7:21 AM (#94217 - in reply to #94206)

Elite Veteran

Congratulations to your friend's son!....Hooray for all of our boys (and girls) out there! 

Leslie

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)