'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
4-J Big Piney Trails

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-22 12:16 PM
7 replies, 5854 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-08-17 8:50 PM (#89869)
Subject: 4-J Big Piney Trails

Elite Veteran

Planning my autumn trip to 4-J and was wondering if there are any destinations to ride to on the trail. Such as caves, rock formations, old homesteads, spectacular overlooks etc. I have never been there and wanted to make sure I ride to the "must see" sites. Do they provide you a trail map?

I have GPS (If I can remember how to use the dang thing), so if anyone has coordinates, I can use that to find the "must see" too.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-08-18 2:48 PM (#89914 - in reply to #89869)
Subject: RE: 4-J Big Piney Trails

Veteran

No maps but they offer guided rides in am.Plenty nice people will be riding in afternoon also.Just ask when ya go in and pay/register.Usuallly ride out at 8 or 8:30.Gotta see old cabin overloooking river and like Overlook to new camp and Bluzzard Roost.We took ride up Snowny River Trail-on own way overgrown but great trail.Its great camping,super food,nice stalls and people are real nice.They have activites going on every night and make sure your up on Saturday evening-get acquatied so have chance WIN FREE Return Week trip.Man comes around in truck around 4 pm to sale hay,grain and also man sales campfire wood too.You'll have great time at 4J.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-08-18 10:29 PM (#89959 - in reply to #89869)

Extreme Veteran

There are trail maps of the area. Not sure who has them. I'd contact the folks at 4J and ask them if they can tell you who has them. Years ago, before they moved, we went there regularly and helped to make the trail maps.

I looked the other day, after we had been to the new camp at Slab town, and they had asked about them, but I've not found them yet. I know I have them someplace. And I'm sure there are other folks that have them. They are a necessity, if your going out by yourself.

Some of the trails are on my Garmin 2008 topo maps that I loaded on my GPS, but it only has the main trails shown.
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-08-20 7:38 AM (#90017 - in reply to #89869)

Veteran

You HAVE to go to the turkey cabin, it's really a neat view.  The trail to get up to it is not for the faint of heart. I think they cut another trail up to the cabin that's not so bad, but the original still makes me nervous even though I've done it a bunch of times. Another good place to ride to we call "cabbage patch" and if you ride through the old camp, cross the river, over the sand bar, and up past the cattle feeders, then take a right, you will go past an old girlscout camp lodge. It's all abandoned and old, and I went in it, but not upstairs since the floor is caving in.  There's the cabbage patch  lookout if you keep going on past the cabin.  

My favorite overlook is the one that looks out over the camp.  You are actually up on the bluff that is by the hay field and outdoor riding arena.   I don't know how to post pics but I have some of the overlooks.  The organized rides are the best way to see the sites if you aren't familiar with the trails.  You can get lost easily.  I've done it, and it's very scary.  We almost didn't make it back before dark.  

Amanda

Cyclone
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-08-20 11:31 AM (#90032 - in reply to #89869)

wow, this place sounds really really nice. My husband and i have been talking about going somewhere different. We ride at Criver River park all the time. Want to expand and get out more. This is one park people have talked about going to. Thanks for that information and pictures are always welomed I am sure..lol....i don't know how to post them either.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-08-20 11:59 AM (#90036 - in reply to #89869)

Elite Veteran

Thanks to everyone with the replies so far. I can just see myself printing these pages out before we go and telling my husband we need to turn right past the cattle feeders! He follows a GPS and I would rather use a map and landmarks! Same thing when I give someone directions... always good to use landmarks when telling someone how to find something.

Turkey Cabin sounds interesting. I can't wait to go!!!

We don't care to ride with a large group since we like to take our time and I like taking pictures of wildflowers and butterflies, autumn leaves etc. Not to mention gaiting/cantering when we want also. So we usually take the GPS to help us find our way back if we get lost and I always have a compass too. But we still get turned around sometimes. A GPS is a good tool, but only if the battery still works and the signal makes it through dense trees!

Edited by ponytammy 2008-08-20 12:04 PM
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-09-16 4:53 PM (#91594 - in reply to #89869)

Extreme Veteran

If you haven't gone yet... I always go to the cabin in the sky, cabbage patch, overlook of the old camp, overlook of the new camp, and the river ride south of the old camp if it's been kept cleared, if not don't take it.

I always go the first ride in October and there is someone that does sale maps during that ride, just ask the 4J and they'll tell you their campsite number. Sometimes the rides might be longer than they look but it is a good guide.

Hope you have a great time & weather!
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-09-22 12:16 PM (#91881 - in reply to #89869)

Elite Veteran

Well, we didn't get to go to the 4-J Ride. Ike flooded out our site. So we rolled our deposit over to next year. I'm bummed, but we did get to ride at Huckleberry State Park in MO instead. Stayed at Huckleberry Stables. Very nice camp hosts and had a great 4 days of riding.

Kinda tight space for LQ trailers, but Rick and Mary accomodated us on short notice.... was at their front door in just 2 hours.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)