'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How to replace the wood floor in a horse trailer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-05 6:17 PM
6 replies, 6546 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

blazerbuddy
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-01 1:36 PM (#68669)
Subject: How to replace the wood floor in a horse trailer?

Okay, we have a steel two-horse bumper pull with dressing room.  It's an older trailer that we've had a while and the floor desparately needs replacing.  I was told that in order to replace the wood floor we need to cut off the steel step up bar at the rear of the trailer, slide the new floor into the groove and then re-weld it back on.  There has to be a way to replace the floor without removing that steel step up at the rear of the trailer.  Please help with suggestions.  Thanks a bunch.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-10-01 6:10 PM (#68687 - in reply to #68669)
Subject: RE: How to replace the wood floor in a horse trailer?

Extreme Veteran

When I replaced the wood on the old two horse trailer I used to have, I thought the same thing, but didn't need to cut any metal after all. I just cut the wood along the beams, popped the rusted screws with a chisel and a hammer. Old trailer no way they were going to be unscrewed and many didn't have a head you could get a grip on anyway. Measured it, cut the new boards. They slipped into that back section (your friends are saying you need to cut) and the other end rested on the front beam with only a little coaxing. Then I bolted them back down to the supports so they wouldn't flap around and make noise going over bumps. Took hardly any time at all.
Not sure your job will be as simple, but I'd bet it's the same as mine and not nearly as complicated as it looks at first.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-10-02 7:07 AM (#68718 - in reply to #68669)

Expert

Originally written by blazerbuddy on 2007-10-01 12:36 PM

Okay, we have a steel two-horse bumper pull with dressing room.  It's an older trailer that we've had a while and the floor desparately needs replacing.  I was told that in order to replace the wood floor we need to cut off the steel step up bar at the rear of the trailer, slide the new floor into the groove and then re-weld it back on.  There has to be a way to replace the floor without removing that steel step up at the rear of the trailer.  Please help with suggestions.  Thanks a bunch.

A variation of Yvette's method is to cut the center out the old boards with a saw to remove them. Clean and prepare the channel.  Then cut the top of the channel, a board width opening on one side of the trailer to insert a board at a time.  Slide the boards into position and secure.  The small opening is then easily welded closed or not.

reddun25
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-10-04 8:50 AM (#68807 - in reply to #68669)

Regular

How thick of boards do you need? I assume you would just get the planks at Lowe's, Menard's, or Home Depot, correct? If you are your hubby is not handy with that kind of stuff where could you take the trailer to to have it done? Approx cost? Thanks!
blazerbuddy
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-04 11:15 AM (#68811 - in reply to #68718)

Cutting a channel a board width sounds like a good alternative.  I'm surprised trailer manufacturers don't already provide for that when they build the trailer.  We may try that option first.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-10-04 5:11 PM (#68835 - in reply to #68811)

Expert

Originally written by blazerbuddy on 2007-10-04 10:15 AM

Cutting a channel a board width sounds like a good alternative.  I'm surprised trailer manufacturers don't already provide for that when they build the trailer.  We may try that option first.

Remember to look at the structural design of the trailer.  Try to locate your cuts toward the ends of the trailer.  Remember beams are most highly stressed at their middles.

mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-10-05 6:17 PM (#68883 - in reply to #68669)

Regular

The board with cutting method is a good one, however keep in mind that many times wiring is ran from one side of the trailer to the other in the rear tubing.

If this is the case and you do not need to rewire the trailer you can cut the boards to splice on a cross member and then add a 4" x 3/16" peice of flat bar across the splice and weld it to each side of the trailer or bolt or screw it to each board if you do not have a welder.

I assume that you will have mats covering the boards and splice plate.  This is the way you deck an equipment trailer that is longer than common length lumber.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)