'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Long distance trailer buying

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-08-23 12:25 PM
6 replies, 3264 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-21 3:55 PM (#66205)
Subject: Long distance trailer buying

Regular

Hi, all -

I think I may have found my trailer! However, the trailer is in Georgia and I am in California. I know people do this all the time but I could really use some assistance in how to proceed with buying a trailer across the country. I have looked and have not been able to find the same trailer in California or neighboring states.

1. What to ask seller about trailer before committing?

2. How best to handle deposit/payment?

3. What if trailer is not "as advertised" when I see it?

4. Anything else??

Thanks for any advice!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-08-21 6:23 PM (#66206 - in reply to #66205)
Subject: RE: Long distance trailer buying

Veteran

We live on the East Coast and bought our Stidham sight unseen from the factory. Since I owned Stidhams since 1970, I had total trust in the manufacturer. I was required to put down a deposit. I discussed in detail with Robbie Stidham what I wanted (right down to the extra tie rings). You may want to send a spec list to the seller to make sure you have in writing what you want. You can then call the dealer/seller/factory to verify the trailer has everything you have listed, getting spec list back "checked" that everything is as it should be. Communicate, communicate, communicate! A question to ask is "Is there anything on the spec list I have left out that other customers routinely ask for?" We had a nice trip to Oklahoma to pick up our trailer, and were very pleased.

Good Luck!

Brenda

Maximizer
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-21 8:05 PM (#66213 - in reply to #66205)

Be very careful though because there are a lot of scammers out there..  If they want a huge deposit or something I would be leary unless its a dealer and then still.  If its really what you want just drive out and pick it up..  I found my trailer over the internet and it was what we wanted.  It was only like 400 miles though a lot closer than what you are looking at..  Do you have any friends or family that could go look that are closer than you?   GOOD LUCK!
AC1
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-21 10:00 PM (#66218 - in reply to #66205)

I live in California and bought my trailer from a dealer in North Carolina. I put 10% down and drove back there to pick it up so I could see it before spending anymore money. It worked out good. The dealer cut me a deal to pick it up and it was everything my year and a half of research thought it to be. There were a few issues when I returned home with the LQ part of the trailer, but the dealer sent the parts right away to resolve them. It isn't as certain a deal as looking in a dealership, but my experience was bettter than the dealership I was trying to buy from here in California. They were willing to talk price and do the changes I requested for the LQ. Be prepared for the sales tax in California. Good luck!
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-22 8:18 AM (#66242 - in reply to #66205)

If the trailer is for sale by an individual, do not put up a deposit,  unless you can get a dealer to act as a "middle person"  ie, get the trailer, go over it, hold your deposit et cetera.  It will be worth the $ to have a dealer go over the trailer given the distance involved.
cmcovern
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-23 10:41 AM (#66354 - in reply to #66206)

New User

Get a copy of the registration & title before you travel to see the trailer. I recently attempted to buy a trailer from an individual, but when I asked for the registration and title to ensure that she owned the trailer free & clear, the person had never registered the trailer in her name. She had a seller's title (signed over to the buyer, but not the buyer part is not filled out). She had put the tag of her old trailer on the trailer I was trying to buy from her, so the VINs on the registration and the title did NOT match. When I asked her to provide a registration and title (with VINs matching!), she agreed and said she would have to register it first. But, she sold the trailer out from under me, even though I offered a deposit! I suspect that she got someone to accept the seller's title as not enough time had passed (4 business days) for her to receive a new title back from her state, allowing her to avoid paying the sales tax that would have been due had she ever registered the trailer in her own name.
bowhunter70
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-23 12:25 PM (#66358 - in reply to #66205)

Are they a dealer on this site and see what other inventory they have,Might help you feel a little safer.Talk to them on the phone and ask alot of questions to make sure they know what they are talking about.I wish they had a review like they have on Ebay and you can hear what buyers have said about  the seller

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)