'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
gooseneck coupler stuck -- any suggestions for removal

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-06-05 1:18 PM
6 replies, 6038 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

flummoxed
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-04 10:14 AM (#61766)
Subject: gooseneck coupler stuck -- any suggestions for removal

It appears the previous owners of our trailer tightened the 2 bolts on the gooseneck coupler so tight that it warped and the coupler is now stuck in the "upper" tube. I have talked with the coupler manufacturer and they admit it happens, but can offer no real solution.I have spoken with one local guy who said he has seen this happen. He said you can pound the coupler with a sledge hammer (just make sure you don't hit the "upper" tube) and most times it will come out. Then simply replace the coupler for about $100.He then said if hitting it with a sledge hammer doesn't work the coupler and upper tube must be cut and a new upper tube welded back.Before I start the sledgehammer pounding and do something stupid -- which I'm really quite good at -- I thought I'd ask if anybody has encountered this problem and how they solved it. It probably goes without saying, I really don't want to have the thing cut apart and then welded back. Any suggestions are appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-06-04 10:51 AM (#61767 - in reply to #61766)
Subject: RE: gooseneck coupler stuck -- any suggestions for removal

Expert

It happened to us too,only,the coupler apparently was bent at the opening where it hitches on,or else,the latch was bent.My husband got it off by using a rubber mallet and pounding on it pretty hard,we had to put a new coupler on tho.They bent it at the dealers hauling it around with tractor/boom.
10Ha.Wood
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-06-04 11:50 AM (#61770 - in reply to #61766)

How about hooking up to your truck and using the jack to "pull" the coupler apart. (If it doesn't work, you will lift the truck off the ground) Gently tapping the coupler tube with a sledge hammer when doing this may help things along. Good luck.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-06-04 12:20 PM (#61771 - in reply to #61766)

Expert

Neighbor had same problem.  Cranked up the trailer high, then put supports under front end, then took weight off trailer jacks. Then, took a chain around the lower coupler tied to the front end loader of the tractor and lowered the bucket and it came out with some squealing and racket, but mission accomplished.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-06-04 1:45 PM (#61776 - in reply to #61766)

Expert

Hitch it to the truck, crank down on the landing gear, (lifting up on the trailer with it attached to the truck), loosen bolts, then whack it with the big hammer while heating the "bent area" with a torch. Remember, after you pull this out a new or another coupler has to go back in the same hole, (round peg into a square hole) so if you apply some heat, stretch the upper pipe, it may make it easier to install the new coupler.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-04 9:23 PM (#61804 - in reply to #61766)

Expert

All the previous methods of moving the inner tube are sound.  I would remove the locking bolts and squirt some penetrating oil into the holes.  A little lube while trying to move a tight fitting part helps immensely
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-06-05 1:18 PM (#61834 - in reply to #61766)

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like a job for BP Blaster penetrating oil.  It seems to work the best that I have found. Spray it good and let it sit overnight and try it in the morning. I did the hook it to the truck and used the electric jacks to jack up the trailer. Put some 2x6's under the landing gear to keep them from sinking in the ground.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)