'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Installation of gooesneck hitch

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-12 4:22 PM
6 replies, 2744 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hobbsel
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-11 5:56 PM (#38670)
Subject: Installation of gooesneck hitch

I just bought an aluminum Sooner 3 Horse gooseneck and have a few questions. Until now I have been pulling a bumper pull so I had to get a gooseneck hitch installed in the truck. They simply bolted a 25,000 plate w/ ball. The plate is the longer style, close to 3ft long and quite simple. It was only bolted in the four corners which were connected to L-brackets welded to my frame. I dont know enough about goosenecks to know if these 4 bolts are enough or if I should have more put in the center near the ball. Also, I have a tool box on my truck. I drive a chevy 2500HD with the standard bed length, not the long length. Will the box inhibit my turning radius? Should I take it off before I pick up the trailer? Thank you for your input!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-03-11 6:07 PM (#38671 - in reply to #38670)
Subject: RE: Installation of Gooseneck hitch

Elite Veteran

I have a convertible hitch receiver in the bed of my truck because we pull both a gooseneck horse trailer and 5th wheel travel trailer with the same truck. The hitch base is connected to the frame of the truck under the bed and has two horizontal inverted channels in the truck bed that are the receiver of either the actual 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch receiver. Both connect with four pins, two each on each of the two channels, which sounds like its the equivalent of the four connection points you have. Both have worked great for us.

If I recall, Sooners have a tapered, but still square nose? The toolbox itself probably won't interfere with actually hitching up the trailer, but may be tall enough to interfere with turning. You will want to see how much clearance, if any, you have between the bottom of your gooseneck and the top of your toolbox.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-03-11 6:10 PM (#38673 - in reply to #38670)
Subject: RE: Installation of gooesneck hitch

Expert

Your hitch should be rated as a complete system.  So if the rating is 25,000 with the 4 bolts, you will be fine.  If it should have some other number of bolts and they were ommmited then your rating will not be 25,000.  You will have to look at the manufactures recommendations. Nobody on the website can offer an opinion with out knowing the make.  My hitch has 4 bolts on the plate  and each of the side rails has 3 bolts to the frame.

I suspect you should be able to leave the toolbox in the truck. If you have concerns, at least take enough tools with you to remove the box. You could throw it in the trailer for the trip home.

hobbsel
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-11 7:22 PM (#38679 - in reply to #38670)

Thank you for your advice... I just realized I completely forgot to mention that there was a sticker on the hitch that read "It is strongly recommended that more bolts be added to prevent bowing of plate." With that said, I believe I should get more, however, will I be okay to haul for a little while before I get them installed? Should I just get two more in the center near the ball since there are 4 already in the corners? Thank you!!
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-11 9:17 PM (#38684 - in reply to #38670)

Expert

Originally written by hobbsel on 2006-03-11 6:56 PM

I just bought an aluminum Sooner 3 Horse gooseneck and have a few questions. Until now I have been pulling a bumper pull so I had to get a gooseneck hitch installed in the truck. They simply bolted a 25,000 plate w/ ball. The plate is the longer style, close to 3ft long and quite simple. It was only bolted in the four corners which were connected to L-brackets welded to my frame. I dont know enough about goosenecks to know if these 4 bolts are enough or if I should have more put in the center near the ball. Also, I have a tool box on my truck. I drive a chevy 2500HD with the standard bed length, not the long length. Will the box inhibit my turning radius? Should I take it off before I pick up the trailer? Thank you for your input!

Hi and welcome.

I'm a bit confused, if the plate "kit" is 25,000 lb rated - is that with all bolts in all holes ?, or only if more holes are drilled ?
I can't see it "sagging" with a 3 horse trailer on it - plates like this are at least 3/8 and have the edges turned over. Rather than drilling your frame and/or welding to it I think I'd go for a length of channel iron across the truck. Inverted U, heavily bloted to the plate edges and drilled to take the ball through it's center. Something like that, but I doubt that you'd need anything.

The toolbox is an interesting question.
Given that folk here seem to be having troubles with their trailers even clearing the tailgate and side rails of their trucks.
I'd take it off, at least for picking up the trailer. I think most of those cross bed tool boxes come 3 or 4 inches above the side rails.

Most of us soon discover how NICE it is to turn the truck so sharply that the truck is less than 90 degrees to the trailer.
The "Woo Hoo, look at me, I'm a Trucker" moment...
CRUNCH - that was the tool box.
(-:
Concrete
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-12 9:34 AM (#38700 - in reply to #38684)

You may be able to get by with the tool box. I have a fold a cover on my truck. It folds up to 25 1/2", thats about the same as a tool box. I do have a long bed. Try it first it may work.

mabbld
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-03-12 4:22 PM (#38712 - in reply to #38670)

we used to have the same set up you are refering to. we never had any issues with the tool box on all the trailers we pulled,not to say you couldn't have troubles. as far as the hitch the 4 bolts worked just fine(we had grade 8 bolts in ours). you may notice some flexing in the plate so we did eventually add some more bolts just to cure the flexing problem
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)