'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Devils Den in AR Questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-03-28 9:00 PM
6 replies, 5302 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-02-22 4:46 PM (#130606)
Subject: Devils Den in AR Questions

Elite Veteran

Hello all,
I see on the AR tourism site for Devils Den that there is 20 miles of trails. Are there other trails that off shoot from here? 20 miles of trails for a 5 hour trip doesn't seem like it is worth the drive. So I thought about going to either Cedar Lake or Buffalo River Ranch (I'll be submiting a Q&A post about BRRR later) after checking out this place.

How are the camping and stall facilities at DD? I've read that Vista Point Trail can be dangerous. Anyone care to eloborate on that statement.

I have a large LQ trailer, so how are the sites situated. Can anyone recommend a good site number?

Any trail info would be great too.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brendaclemens
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-02-22 5:12 PM (#130609 - in reply to #130606)
Subject: RE: Devils Den in AR Questions

Regular

Love Devil's Den! Big rigs are no problem...20 miles of these trails will kick your butt if not in good condition! That said, they are scenic and varied with the main consistency being rocky...but the rocks are rounded not sharp.
If you go in the heat of the summer, the swimming pool is a huge plus for hot afternoons after a nice morning ride :)
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2011-02-23 7:40 AM (#130620 - in reply to #130606)

Elite Veteran

If your rig is very long, you need to swing WAY out on the turn up out of the campground going back north to the highway (West Fork way)... There are alot more trails than 20 miles over there, I know this because my husband got us lost off the red trail and our GPS registered 31 miles when we got back to camp (ouch, there are trails across the road to the north of the camp (we have seen some bears over there) and then you can ride down past the day ride parking, cross the bridge, and through private to get to "Devil's Bathtub"... Gorgeous!! Pack out what you pack in. The horsecamp is ok... site #13 and site#23(Ithink) are best for long rigs (with the truck/trailer we are about 65') we get in ok... remember what I said about swingin wide on the turn to get to the camp, we've torn our step off twice there.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-02-23 4:23 PM (#130664 - in reply to #130606)

Expert

There are 2 exits off the highway to get to Devils Den....the southernmost one says something to the effect of no rigs over a certain (short) length.  As God is my witness...heed this.   Take the northern most exit to go into Devils Den with a trailer.  The riding there is really as good as you make it.  It can be challenging and scenic, or more tame, depending on your trail pick.  I went on an all mule ride there, and felt like we just scratched the surface of the potential riding and trails.  Good luck and keep us posted.....who knows, we might meet up on the trails somewhere!!
horsin213
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2011-03-27 6:52 PM (#132226 - in reply to #130606)

I absolutely loved riding there! I don't know specifics, but there sure seemed like way more than 20 miles. And 20 miles there is CONSIDERABLY different than 20 miles in LaCygne!! There is one spot on a trail, and I really don't know which one, that was pretty harry. Stair-step loose rock that was a little disconcerting. The trails are rugged if your horse is not used to hills and rocks. The park is very nice, in my opinion. The horse camp is very clean, which is nice. The walking trails and caves are also great to explore, take your hiking boots too! There is a bridge on the gravel road down from the campground that the horses were sure would eat them though!
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2011-03-28 8:10 AM (#132239 - in reply to #130606)

Elite Veteran

It sounds like you went over the "hollow" bridge near the day rider parking area...horses have to learn to like those...wait til you ride a suspended bridge (and find religion) that is 110' in the air tween two mountains. Devil's Den park is gorgeous. If you cross the road up by the entrance, there are some rough trails going up to a nice logging road, we saw Bears there last time, they ran up the hill while our horses snorted some. I bet there are 60 miles of trail around there.... some cross private land. Can you tell I'm dreamin about campin/ridin?
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2011-03-28 9:00 PM (#132288 - in reply to #132239)

Expert

I have heard that the trails up at Devil's Den have become pretty eroded.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)