'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Purchase Questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-16 8:27 AM
6 replies, 7530 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gmowilli
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-15 12:45 PM (#121173)
Subject: Trailer Purchase Questions

New User

I just got my first horse and now I'm looking for my first trailer. I will use it primarily to transport my horse (and friends') to go trailriding. I am looking at two trailers in very good condition (I've read about what to look for as far as tires, axles, breaks, wiring, floor, etc.) and I am curious if anyone has any experience or opinions about these trailers. The first one is a 2003 CM Endurance. It's a 2-horse, straight load (can be slant for one horse) with an escape door out the front. It has a tiny vestibule in the front with two swing-out saddle racks. The other one is a 2002 Trails West Avenger. It's a 3-horse slant load with a walk-in dressing room. They are both bumper-pull and the 3-horse is only (asking price) $500 more than the 2-horse. Any advice/opinions?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brew26
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-06-15 1:42 PM (#121176 - in reply to #121173)
Subject: RE: Trailer Purchase Questions

Veteran

In my opinion I wouldn't buy a trails west if you like the cm get it or if your wanting a 3 horse I would keep looking. But I would avoid that trails west like it was the plague BUT that is just my opinion.
gmowilli
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-15 2:07 PM (#121178 - in reply to #121173)

New User

Thanks for the input. Is there a reason for the big NO on Trails West?
brokenboot
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2010-06-15 3:04 PM (#121180 - in reply to #121173)

Regular

gmowilli - I've heard people not care for Trails West because they're steel and not aluminum. I've had a TW for quite a few years and just upgraded to a living quarters and although we could have chosen any brand, we sought out another Trails West. The finish on them has got to be among the top, if not the finest, of all steel trailers. They also have a lot of nice features we don't see in other brands. The hydraulic cylinder that helps holds your dividers open is a very nice feature when you're not parked on a completely level surface and you want the divider to stay open while you load or unload. TW seems focused on front nose design for easier pulling, at least on the goosenecks. The rubber floor matting and coated lower half of the walls are nice. Door and divider latches well designed. Other brands also have some of these features and you have to think about which features are going to work best for your application. I believe the CM is also a very nice trailer, but I haven't owned one so can't give you a good opinion. Whatever you choose, enjoy your new trailer!
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-06-15 11:04 PM (#121191 - in reply to #121173)

Expert

If I remember right I believe Brew had some problems with tires and axles on his large LQ. He may have a valid compliant and has been very vocal about his opinion of that brand. And just like some folks don't like Fords and others do. Everybody should have their opinion.

I live in Northern Utah and those trailers are made about hour and half up the hiway. So I see lots of them around here. And there are lots of happy customers. Look at the trailers and decide if it is a good buy for you.  A 2002 trailer will be showing any weakness. Eight years should be enough time for any bad features to work their way to the surface.

Good Luck with your choice.

gmowilli
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-15 11:54 PM (#121193 - in reply to #121173)

New User

Hey everyone, quick end to this story. I decided on the CM Endurance as my first trailer. Someone basically recommended looking at each trailer individually rather than the brand name as they are both good names. On this basis, the CM rose to the top - for me. It's just a standard two horse straight load body style, steel, and about 2200 lbs. For one, I can pull it with my SUV avoiding the need to now buy a truck to go with the trailer to go with the horse (kind of like the old lady that swallowed a fly). Secondly, this trailer (although 6 years old) is basically in new condition. Finally, it's just a very nifty little trailer because it has full escape doors for both stalls that lead to a front man-door, a small vestibule tack area that you can stand in, and the divider can be moved to the side so you can haul one horse at a slant if you choose (I assume this is an OK idea). It is bright and airy and if you open the front door and hay windows, the horse can see all the way through. Thanks for the thoughtful advice. I'm pretty excited about it.
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2010-06-16 8:27 AM (#121197 - in reply to #121173)

Elite Veteran

You did the right thing by buying the trailer that was right for YOU. To many people get hung up on brand names. Kind of like a status symbal. The best trailer is the one that's paid for and suits your needs.

Good luck and enjoy!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)