'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
BrookField NY opinion wanted

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-02-26 6:50 PM
6 replies, 5253 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-11-30 4:47 PM (#113764)
Subject: BrookField NY opinion wanted

Extreme Veteran

This year on our way to Otter Creek we plan on stopping in the Brookfield area for a few days. We are not fans of traveling 7 hours and putting our horses in straight stalls so in Otter Creek we always stay at the Otter Creek stables for barn and turn out. I have found the following for similar accommodations (not sure till I call) But was curious if anyone has any opinions? http://www.purecountrycampground.com Or http://www.taylorstackandfield.com/ We have also heard that there may be accommodations for LQ hook ups and horse closer to the Brookfield trail head. But cannot find any of the information.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-02-03 4:16 PM (#116104 - in reply to #113764)
Subject: RE: BrookField NY opinion wanted

Regular

I have camped at Brookfield for a week each of the last two summers at the end of July/1st week of August. Each time we stayed on the side with the individual camp sites (not the assembly area). Lots of shade, covered stalls accommodating 4-6 horses each at most of the sites and portalets were well maintained. Trails are well marked & we kept to the trails mostly, not the TT (truck trails) which are dirt roads that will accommodate carriages and vehicles. They are nice too but we prefer the actual trails. Have been to Otter Creek but it is also about a 6-7 hour trip and Brookfield is only 4 of very easy highway. Would highly recommend it. (I have friends that say the riding is too easy but it is worth the stop & form your own opionion and is evidently closer for you as well)
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-02-03 8:52 PM (#116118 - in reply to #113764)

Extreme Veteran

We are trying to squeeze both Otter Creek and Brookfield into one trip.  Can you explain just a bit more what you mean by not staying in the assembly area?

Thanks

jim

pupsnponies
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-02-13 7:05 AM (#116512 - in reply to #113764)

I'm kinda slow seeing this so not sure you're still looking.. but I'm about 25 mins from Brookfield.. been there many a time although prefer the Otter trails (or more like do NOT prefer the logging trucks mowing me down and the DEEP sucking mud in the spring. LOL) Anyway, the pure country place (I think they recently changed their name) I've been to once when Bfield was packed. Expensive but nice amenities. Note that they are on the opposite side of the trails from the Assembly Area (i.e. long way). TAylor's I've only been to their tack store and have bought hay from them - haven't stayed there. Nice people, seemed like a nice stable setup. There's two other places close by. One is at the trail head - Moscow Hill General Store / C&R Stables. They used to have a limited number of LQ hookups - they might have closed down though. Last I knew they were trying to sell. (C & R Stables, Inc. Moscow Hill Rd. Hubbardsville 691-3315). The other is newer, more of a bed & breakfast. You can ride from their directly to the trails though. Endless Trails - http://www.endlesstrailsguesthouse.com/ Very very nice!!

We also always stay in the "campground" portion of the Assembly Area. It's gotten busier over the years, but generally you have a bit more space and the sites are more protected / treed.

What do you think of the Otter Creek stables? We've bought wood from them and I've always wondered.

Mj

Edited by pupsnponies 2010-02-13 7:09 AM
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-02-13 8:01 AM (#116514 - in reply to #113764)

Extreme Veteran

Hey Pups thanks!

We love the folks a OC stables.  Michelle is a VERY accommodating hostess.  She is right at the bottom of Hiawatha trail.  Very convenient and comfortable.  We have been twice and plan on returning again this June.

So Mud and trucks at Brookfield huh?  Last year in Ottercreek it rained the whole week we were there.  We ran the heat in the LQ all week (In June :( )

You mentioned Pure Country, I know that it is on the opposite side.  But how were the trails?  I hate Rocks (Bony) constant rocks just wear me down. 

pupsnponies
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-02-13 9:44 AM (#116518 - in reply to #116514)

Last year in NY, it rained pretty much the whole summer! We were at OT in June as well and that was before we got our LQ with HEAT. Brrrrrr! The mud on upper Icicle trail rivaled even Brookfield. Maybe like Trail 2 was last October. Thought I needed a taller horse!! If my horse had lost a hoof boot, it was goin' to stay there.

I think there's fewer Truck Trails on that southern end of B-fld. In general I'm remembering that the trails were in better shape, likely because of fewer riders. I'm not remembering rocky at all. I really liked it but can't justify the cost.... hmmmm... actually I probably could justify the cost but I'm only half the equation. Can't complain though - seeing I got a new LQ last summer. Heat! Bathroom! Shower!

Mj
PS - did you find the trail maps on the DEC web site?

Edited by pupsnponies 2010-02-13 9:46 AM
Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-02-26 6:50 PM (#117052 - in reply to #113764)

Regular

Sorry, I haven't had much time to get into the forum and didn't see your reply until today.  I saw Pup's response and since he lives near Brookfield, he is probably more knowledgable about it.  I guess I have been lucky, both times at Brookfield at the end of July, the campground was almost empty and we had our choice of sites.   We only had rain once, each trip, and the temperature was around 70 and great sleeping at night and flies weren't bad.  I was pleasantly surprised since that is not usually the best time of year for riding/camping.  The assembly area is just one big open area so you are parking your rigs side by side and their are 2 or 3 long rows of covered standing stalls but if it is crowded you risk putting your horse next to someone else's and they may not get along.  On the otherside, you have individual sites for your rigs with covered stalls at your sites and as he said, a lot of shade.  Much nicer.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)