'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need advice

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-25 8:18 AM
6 replies, 3012 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dustyshadow09
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-08-18 9:46 PM (#109614)
Subject: Need advice

New User

I purchased an 8' wide GN horse-trailer with mangers last year, got a good deal on it and thought that the under-manger storage option was ideal. Prior to that my horses were hauled in a BP open stock trailer. My 18 yo 16hand QH has issues with being claustrophobic in the new trailer and has put a hoof in the manger on 2 separate occasions when he was hauled by himself. Thankfully no injuries, but I was hoping he would have scared himself enough the first time to not do it the 2nd time. Hauling w/ another horse he has had no issues. Will not having the divider in give him more room and help him not feel so claustrophobic? Should I tie him lower instead of at the factory installed tie rings up high? We do have access to an aluminum welder to install new tie rings. Is it OK to haul 2 horses in these type of trailers without that divider? It would only be with his pasture mate, another gelding. I am thinking that I could start feeding both boys in the trailer at night, with the trailer hooked up to the truck of course, to start making the new trailer more familiar and comfortable. Any advice, ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-08-19 8:19 AM (#109633 - in reply to #109614)
Subject: RE: Need advice

I have ties high and low in my stalls. The high ties are only used for haybags. The low ties are for the horses that I tie in. The ties being low will  keep one from climbing in a manger, as well as, throwing their head into the roof.
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-08-19 8:02 PM (#109669 - in reply to #109633)

Extreme Veteran

It seems interesting that he has only stuck his foot up there when he's by himself. Perhaps he's just missing his buddy and getting antsy? Tying him in low will help as stated before. I don't think I would leave them in there at night un-supervised, if that's what you were thinking. I don't think it would help and they could get into some kind of trouble. I don't see any issues with hauling without dividers but be sure that clausterphobia is your real issue first.
dustyshadow09
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-08-19 8:13 PM (#109670 - in reply to #109614)

New User

Yeah, I would be "standing by" while they were in there leaving them in just until they finished eating. Not sure what his other issue might be besides anxiety and claustrophobia, since he hauls fine in the stock trailer. I will try tying him lower & taking the divider out. I just hate to haul 2 horses every where I gotta go just to keep him happy.
Tintilly
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2009-08-20 2:32 PM (#109693 - in reply to #109614)

I think opening the partitions and giving the horse more room might help but it sounds like he is not liking being hauled alone??? I assume you were saying feed them their grain in the trailer NOT leaving them in all night. This is often done with horses who don't load well but it shouldn't hurt.  Good luck   Nancy
Nicki
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-24 7:16 PM (#109923 - in reply to #109614)

I had a horse go through the window with his front legs.  I gave him more room and put a feed bag in with him and I never had a problem with him again.
D sq
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2009-08-25 8:18 AM (#109945 - in reply to #109614)

Regular

You might try putting a hay bag up for him when you travel. I have one mare that will stomp and paw untill she gets her hay bag.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)