'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse Flies

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-15 9:13 PM
6 replies, 3899 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

timberedgefarm
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2009-08-10 5:06 PM (#109231)
Subject: Horse Flies

Recently went to Shimek in Iowa and had an awful problem with horse flies......3 of our horses were fine and 1 came apart at the seams!!!!  It had just rained and was really muddy in places and was not a pleasurable ride.  This horse is an extremely mild mannered and would just start bucking the minute one buzzed around him.  Does anyone have solutions to the horse flies?  I did soak a towel in fly spray and tie it to the back of my saddle and it did help, but not stop them.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-08-11 7:16 AM (#109255 - in reply to #109231)
Subject: RE: Horse Flies

Veteran

There's not much that really keeps them away.  Rump rugs help, but if some horses hear the sound of their buzzing, they just know what's up.  Have you ever been bitten by one?  I'd buck too!  I use the spot on fly control, and it seemed to help repel more flies.  Isn't shimeck wonderful? I love the river valley camp.  They're having a rodeo there this weekend.

Amanda

illini
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-08-11 3:25 PM (#109279 - in reply to #109231)

Veteran

This is a comment on Shimeck. Yes it was really pretty riding,but when we were there the trails were very muddy. It had been dry for a while,so I was wondering if the trails are always that bad, or just because it has been a rainy summer? We rode out of river valley camp grounds. A beautiful camp ground! How is Shimeck in the fall?

timberedgefarm
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2009-08-11 3:37 PM (#109281 - in reply to #109279)

It was our first time there and we stayed at River Valley also.  Pleased with the campground, but Shimek closed and we never were able to ride in the park.  The places we did ride on private property were extremely muddy and slick, then to have the horse flies making my horse flip out did not make it fun to say the least.  My horse could not keep his feet underneath him since he was so upset about the horse flies.  The other three horses never missed a beat.
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2009-08-11 11:57 PM (#109295 - in reply to #109231)

Extreme Veteran

I use 2 kinds of fly sprays on my horse because he's so bothered by them. I use Pyranha and a home made Avon Skin So Soft mixture. I recently heard that tying Bounce sheets to your bridle helps too...Yes, the kind to you use in the dryer. I thought my horse would spazz out if he saw something flapping around his eyes, so I wrapped it around his bridle at the poll. I actually think it worked pretty well! Of course, flies come in all shapes and kinds, so your flies may be different. Another thought...Someone mentioned using ear plugs for horses who kick in the trailer. I wonder if using ear plugs would help with the buzzing of flies for super sensitive horses? Let me know if you try it.
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-08-14 8:09 PM (#109402 - in reply to #109231)

Extreme Veteran

We use Repelx and 2 oz of Skin so soft in every qrt. I shake well while spraying. Works better than plain spray and I think it helps. We use ear covers with the tassels in heavy HF season. I carry a fly wisp and consider myself pretty surgical with it. I always say to my guy "your in charge of the rear end with your tail and I got the front".
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-08-15 9:13 PM (#109432 - in reply to #109231)

I think the fly ear covers help with the noise the flies make.....also we are now using a length of athletic wear fabric (very soft) under the saddle, tying it under the tail and at the chest....kind of a riding fly sheet.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)