'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hungry Horse VA

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-07-07 8:00 PM
6 replies, 4122 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

awesomeabby
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-07-01 6:11 AM (#107386)
Subject: Hungry Horse VA

We are leaving for vacation next week and plan on spending a few days at Hungry Horse in Virginia. I have read good things on here about the campground but am looking for tips on things to do in the area in case of a rainy day? Also, which trails are the best? Our horses are in good shape, we go slow, and appreciate the local views.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2009-07-06 11:31 AM (#107612 - in reply to #107386)
Subject: RE: Hungry Horse VA

Veteran

The trails at Hungry Horse are also shared by Iron Mountain Horse camp just down the road.  yellow trail is up and down the mountains and not my favorite. Snow bird lane is better. There are many many miles of trails and the host can tell you the best to ride. As for doing other things on rainy days,,,, well. there is native trout fishing, Wytheville va. is a bout 30 minutes away, good eats and shopping . There is a very nice tack store at Iron Mountain which is 4 miles past Hungry Horse. I have stayed at both places many times but prefer Iron Mountain.
awesomeabby
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-07-06 6:33 PM (#107628 - in reply to #107612)

Thanks for the reply. Will have to tell my husband about the trout fishing. Do you know if you can get out of state fishing permit at stores like K-mart or Wal-mart or do you have to get them from county? Do you have any secret fishing holes you'd like to divulge???

The host did send us maps, but it's hard to tell what to expect from them. What makes you like Iron Mountain better than Hungry Horse. We've got some time and could spend a few days there if we want to.

Thanks again, Debbie
lindajohn
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-07-06 8:25 PM (#107631 - in reply to #107386)

New User

Iron Mountain's location is more centrally located so you can access more trails.  I had stayed at both camps also and perfer Iron Mountain, nicer barn, better bath house, owners are great.  If it rains go canoeing, its a blast.  There are neat shops in downtown Galax and Wytheville.  If you like blue grass music, the Rex Theather in downtown Galax has music nighty.  The Log House in downtown Wytheville is a dining experience and has a great shop behind it.  You will have a great time
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2009-07-07 11:25 AM (#107647 - in reply to #107386)

Veteran

Cripple creek is famous trout waters and the host at either camp can direct you to them. You can purchase your license on line http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/licenses/

There are some antique malls and horse related stores on the I81-77 highway just 20 minutes away.

The log house Resturant is a wonderful place to eat.

awesomeabby
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-07-07 7:54 PM (#107667 - in reply to #107647)

I told my husband about the fishing and he told me to pack his fishing gear, so maybe we'll have fresh trout one night for supper.
awesomeabby
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-07-07 8:00 PM (#107668 - in reply to #107631)

Will definitely check out the Log House. Let's see, if hubby catches some fish I won't have to cook that night, Log house another night, hot dogs on the fire.......hmmm, I just may get out of cooking. Yea.

We have only gone canoeing one time together, about 35 years ago. Went on a 3-day trip down some gorge in Kentucky with some friends. I was in the front of our canoe and couldn't seem to paddle quite right to suit him. After about 3 hours of "paddle on the right side, paddle on the left side, back paddle" yadda yadda yadda, I told him what he could do with the paddle and I sipped beer and worked on my tan for the rest of the trip. LOL We don't play sports well together.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)