'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
'02 Silver Star - Leaky Windows

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-18 7:20 AM
6 replies, 3802 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-11-17 11:21 AM (#94998)
Subject: '02 Silver Star - Leaky Windows

Veteran

I spent six months in Iraq only to return home to a horse trailer with mold/mildew growing on wet gooseneck area carpet due to leaky windows in the gooseneck/bed area. Makes me wonder how big a problem folks with LQ trailers have with leaks that they don't see... Can anyone help me figure out what is causing the leaks shown in the pictures I've attached? Caulk on the outside appears good. There are some rubber pieces that slip into place on the outside of the window that appear to function to keep water out... they were not fully seated against the middle pane of the window. Fixed that, but still had some leakage when it rained recently. Need to fix this problem. Does this particular manufacturer (see photos for their logo) have problem with poorly-made, leaky windows? Is it best to simply replace the windows with better-made replacements? As stated above, I'm glad this didn't happen AFTER LQ were added. Thank you, Mike
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
fsh3406
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-11-17 12:16 PM (#95000 - in reply to #94998)
Subject: RE: '02 Silver Star - Leaky Windows

The windows you are showing are fairly standard for horse trailers. The rubber plugs at the bottom of the window are for drainage and should be removed completely. The top plugs should be left in. Try that first. If that doesn't help, check the sealant around & under the trim ring on the window. (approx 1/2" black lip around outside of window). There is not much of a lip that holds the windows in place and if it is not sealed well, it will allow leaks.
mgoz
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-11-17 6:41 PM (#95017 - in reply to #94998)

I am not an expert on trailers but have seen situations that appear one way and are actually another. What I mean is an 02 trailer might have some roof issues. They need to be sealed occasionally and 6 years is about right. you might want to make sure that is working well also.

On another note. Glad you are back from Iraq, I have been there with the AF and it is not my favorite vacation spot:)
Mark
daafy
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-11-17 8:11 PM (#95025 - in reply to #94998)

Regular

I had the same problem with my gooseneck windows leaking. I chaulked around everything I could think of but still had leaks. Then I got the idea to google "how to fix leaking horse trailer windows". And guess what? I found an article that suggested cleaning out the little drainage slits at the bottom of the metal frames on the outside of the windows. I cleaned out the dirt and problem solved. I also had chaulked the slits shut not realizing what they were there for, making the problem worse. Could it be possible that your drainage holes/slits are clogged with dirt and/or chaulking? Good luck.
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-11-17 8:32 PM (#95027 - in reply to #94998)

Veteran

Sounds like this may be my problem. How did you clean out the drainage slits? I ran water through mine... didn't see anything come out.

The rubber trim piece mentioned above wasn't covering the entire window--it had contracted in cold weather. I re-set it, after testing leakage with it removed (much more leaky) and thought I'd solved the problem. No dice. Still leaking after I re-set the trim.

Grrrrr.... This is annoying. This kind of thing will ruin an LQ trailer, so I don't see how the LQ trailers are constructed to prevent this. This would allow water into the interior wall and present a significant mold/mildew problem.

Mike
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-11-18 6:55 AM (#95039 - in reply to #94998)

Veteran

Sounds like this may be my problem. How did you clean out the drainage slits? I ran water through mine... didn't see anything come out.

The rubber trim piece mentioned above wasn't covering the entire window--it had contracted in cold weather. I re-set it, after testing leakage with it removed (much more leaky) and thought I'd solved the problem. No dice. Still leaking after I re-set the trim.

Grrrrr.... This is annoying. This kind of thing will ruin an LQ trailer, so I don't see how the LQ trailers are constructed to prevent this. This would allow water into the interior wall and present a significant mold/mildew problem.

Mike
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-11-18 7:20 AM (#95044 - in reply to #94998)

Expert

I had a window to leak on our SS last winter, trailer was leaning to that side, spider webs, tree debris, trash in the track. Looked clean from the ground until I hit it with some "simple green" and a brush. Cleaned the track, sprayed with silicone lubricant, no more leaks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)