'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Camping In New England

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-25 6:05 PM
6 replies, 4175 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-11-06 8:34 PM (#94426)
Subject: Camping In New England

Extreme Veteran

Hey All!  Great threads!  We have camped In Mass, ME and NY with our horses.  We bought a LQ trailer this season and it was Awsome!  Next Season we want to head out of the New England area.  If anyone has any suggestions and web site info I would appreciate it. 

Ps to you Southern states....  We are so bummed out winter is comming on us up here.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
FarmGirl
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-11-06 11:42 PM (#94437 - in reply to #94426)
Subject: RE: Camping In New England

If you can get down to the Big South Fork area in Tennessee, it would be worth your drive.  You can search and there are many threads in this chatroom regarding great places to camp there..  (I always hear Bandy Creek is a great place but I've never been; their website is www.bandycreekstables.net
 in case you want to check it out..)
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-11-07 2:45 PM (#94476 - in reply to #94426)

Extreme Veteran

Check out www.horseandmuletrails.com .  I have found some interesting places on that site.

There are lots of good camps in KY and TN.  A few in IN and the Shawnee Forest of So. IL is fabulous.  (There are several camps in the Shawnee, but I am partial to One Horse Gap)

Happy Hunting!

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-11-07 5:58 PM (#94483 - in reply to #94426)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks.  Yes we have searched on the Muleandhorse site it is very helpful.  We have a few of our trips on a web site http://www.everytrail.com/  I posted a NY trip to otter creek in the Adirondack mountains a Maine trip and 4 Mass trips.  We tend to spend most of our Summer in a State forest called Myles Standish State Forest located in South Carver Mass.  We are advocates for this style of camping,  you are on the site with your horses.  It is hard to find this as most Horse camping is a group thing or your horses are stored far from you.  I prefer to see them as they need to enjoy their vacation as well as I do.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-11-12 1:01 PM (#94763 - in reply to #94426)

Elite Veteran

yeah those of us in southern states have a very different camping season.  I'm in South Fla and we start in Oct and go through April - too hot, wet, buggy, and muggy in the summer to camp, though we do ride year round.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-11-25 1:28 PM (#95344 - in reply to #94426)

Expert

woo hoo Otter Creek trails in Northern NY... 

I am BOUND and determined to get a ride in there soon. My sister (with horses) lives less than 5 minutes from there... and I spent many, many years in that neck of the woods. I've hiked parts of it with my sister and one daughter. 

There's other stuff to do in that area - but it's hard to find out where. Check out the Co-op on the way into Lowville for Croghan Bologna and fantastic cheese!!  There used to be a wonderful bakery on the road up to the trail head, but I think it's been closed.

there's a side road off of the Greig-Glenfield road, by the double bridges over Independence River... can't take horses there, but you can hike up the side of the river and then cross onto the rocks in the middle of the river to sunbathe and swim. BRRR... brings back many memories. 

NY Has 3 other equestrian trails in the state. Brook... something, SW of Albany.  

If you get to Michigan - be sure to try the shore-to-shore trail system. mtra.org for more info!! 

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-11-25 6:05 PM (#95360 - in reply to #94426)

Extreme Veteran

Yes we took a chance on the Otter Creek system and loved it.  We plan on returning again this comming spring just before 4th of July to beat the deer flies.  It's funny how you search and search for something new to do and some are flat out busts but some really pay off.

Take care and happy Thanksgiving

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)