'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
We're back from Big South Fork

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-04 9:26 PM
6 replies, 5393 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

awesomeabby
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-07-20 12:37 PM (#87755)
Subject: We're back from Big South Fork

We just spent a week at Honey Creek Horsecamp. It was wonderful. Loved it. The riding was great and the campground was the best. We arrived July 5th and stayed for a week. We were a little disappointed that there were not many campers there; mostly everyone left on the 6th. Actually, we had the campground to ourselves for a few days. I think we had 3 days of riding where we didn't see any other riders on the trails. We took a day off riding to let my old gelding's back rest and checked out the other campgrounds. There were only a few horses at the stables for Bandy Creek and Trail West only had one rig in their parking lot. Maybe the gas prices are keeping people away. That's what Jeff from Honeycreek said also. Too bad. Anyhow, it was a great vacation; just wish the ride there wasn't so long. Took us 11 hours.

Next stop, I think---Iron Mountain, VA.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-07-20 2:09 PM (#87761 - in reply to #87755)
Subject: RE: We're back from Big South Fork

Extreme Veteran

Umm...pictures?
FarmGirl
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-07-20 2:40 PM (#87763 - in reply to #87755)

Love, love, love the trails in Big South Fork.  We went there last fall and it really is gorgeous riding.  Took us about 11 hours also, but well worth the drive - hope to go back again this fall..

galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-07-21 1:25 PM (#87831 - in reply to #87755)

Veteran

We just got back Saturday from BSF area and stayed a week at East Fork Stables. Wow!! What a wonderful week it was!! I bet we rode about 85 % of the trails.....didn't try the River trail......EVERYONE said it was a bit much...and...it was up round 90 a few days. Took our collapsable water bucket with us on the rides and it was a life-saver. Lots of small creeks were dry, so water was pretty far apart. Just tied a lead rope onto the bucket, threw it into one of the many ponds (which you couldn't access by horse...silt bottom) and they drank happily all day. Love that place and the trails..long ride for us there too...about 8 hrs. Next stop is Iron Mountain , Va. last week in July. Happy trails!
kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-07-30 5:56 PM (#88626 - in reply to #87831)

Originally written by galsgottaride on 2008-07-21 2:25 PM
 Took our collapsable water bucket with us on the rides and it was a life-saver. Lots of small creeks were dry, so water was pretty far apart. Just tied a lead rope onto the bucket, threw it into one of the many ponds (which you couldn't access by horse...silt bottom)

You know, that is the most ingenious thing I've learned lately. Now why haven't any of my so-called trail riding buddies/experts ever told me to do this? My horse refuses to drink, except from a bucket. Only once has he drank from a stream while trail riding and I'm guessing he was desperate! I keep thinking he will drink if he gets thirsty enough...

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-07-30 9:06 PM (#88638 - in reply to #87755)

Veteran

We have been to Honey Creek. We loved the campground and the riding. Great idea about taking the bucket. Will have to remember that when we go riding next time.
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-08-04 9:26 PM (#89018 - in reply to #88626)

Veteran

One of my horses thinks he is a camel and it used to worrry me to death! The drought has eliminated alot of the small streams and good watering holes, so when you ride in new places, it's a gamble for a horse that is "picky" about water. I started him on electrolytes (apple flavored) 3-4 days at home before we leave on trips and he does MUCH better. The collapsible water bucket came from Country Supply, inexpensive and simple to tie on. My new horse I have been riding all summer drinks like crazy everywhere........Thank God!!!! Get a bucket...if not you, someone on your ride may be really glad you did!! Happy Trails!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)