'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Advice on 1st 4+ Hour Haul

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-06-22 7:21 AM
6 replies, 2745 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Dmarr
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-06-21 6:47 PM (#62618)
Subject: Advice on 1st 4+ Hour Haul

Veteran

Hello Everyone,My husband and I are taking our horses on our first long distance trailer trip. We are driving from Dallas, TX to Bismark, AR which is around 270 miles according to Yahoo Maps. We will be driving during the day (we'll try to leave early in the AM).Do we need to try to hang buckets of water in the trailer or will the horses be OK w/ out water until we reach our destination?Any special considerations and/or advice? We've hauled both horses around locally (longest trip has been 1.5 hours) and both horses have been hauled long distances by commercial haulers.Thanks in advance for your help!Phil & DeirdreDallas, TX
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmboy
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-06-21 7:21 PM (#62620 - in reply to #62618)
Subject: RE: Advice on 1st 4+ Hour Haul

Regular

you'll be fine just load up and go I usally stop bout 4hrs and offer waterbut you can make it with no water its all what fixs you best
rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-06-21 7:51 PM (#62622 - in reply to #62618)

Regular

You should be fine just make sure you offer your horses free choice water a couple days before trip if you don't usually. also free choice water after you arrive at your destination. Any green grass around, let them eat before trip, this will also help them stay hydrated, also let them eat after arrival if there is a chance, this will also make them drink.

Also never take what yahoo says for granted in milage remember pulling horses goes slower than a car at 55.

Good luck
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-06-21 8:00 PM (#62623 - in reply to #62618)

Expert

If you are going to Bar Fifty, be aware that the roads approaching Bismark and on to the ride, are curvy 2 lane roads, not 55 mph roads....the horses should be A-ok on the water deal, they probably won't drink any on that short of a haul, and maybe not til that eve anyway.  I would offer but not be surprised if they don't drink any enroute.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-06-21 8:22 PM (#62624 - in reply to #62618)

Expert

I am so doing a LD haul- I make stops primarily for me,food,pop and bathroom breaks. I have hung a water bucket before but I doubt he drank any,it mostly appeared to just splash out. The horses are fine in the trailer ( there was a recent study done suggesting horses are just fine without repeated stops) I have felt it was better to get there rather than prolong it by stopping to rest.

I don't drive 55 on the interstate. I try to keep it about 70ish....

Some horses won't eat hay while hauling and some do. most horses can survivie several hours without eating anyway so hay bags is a personal perference.

coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-06-21 10:10 PM (#62626 - in reply to #62618)

Regular

Please top dress feed with electrolytes so the horses are hydrated before the trip. I would electrolyte for weeks b4 the trip but seeing you live in Texas, you probably already do........!! Be safe!!
mshal
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-06-22 7:21 AM (#62636 - in reply to #62618)

Regular

I would not hang a bucket in the trailer!

It sounds like a wreck waiting to happen, I can just see one of mine getting the rings on the halter through the bale on the bucket!!!! I would offer water (  if you have drops on the heads) when I stopped for gas.  I always do this but my horses think it is much more fun to spit water on my head than drink it!! But still I try!  Really, they should be fine for four hours with out water as long as you water them as soon as you get there.

Edited by mshal 2007-06-22 7:22 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)