'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse abandonment/backyard breeders...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-19 9:47 PM
6 replies, 4150 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-03-19 7:09 AM (#57293)
Subject: Horse abandonment/backyard breeders...

Elite Veteran

I live in soutwest missouri where natural beauty and idiocracy go hand in hand... Here, and in many other places in the USA, there are so many people "backyard breeding" junk horses!!(they do the same with children)
It is expensive to have both. Neither should be a HOBBY. I know I can only change what goes on inside my gates and fences, but manic breeding will only fill what is missing with too many expenses and no joy. Am I the only person who thinks this way???
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
TrueColours
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-03-19 7:18 AM (#57294 - in reply to #57293)
Subject: RE: Horse abandonment/backyard breeders...

Problem is - those people probably feel that Fluffy and Fido's foal is a WONDERFUL example and everyone should have one or ten of them ...

Same with their children - they probably feel their kids are shining lights on this earth as well ...

And who are you or me or anyone else to tell them differently???

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-03-19 1:55 PM (#57313 - in reply to #57293)

Extreme Veteran

Yep!!

And the shame of it is, we can't legislate common sense or stop the stupid from breeding.   ( horses, or children! )  It seems stupid can't be fixed, and the consciensious can't win. 

This also goes to the "Macho" mentality, whether it is pitbull dogs, or firey horses, or fast cars. All they want to do is make up for their physical "Shortcomings".

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-19 3:22 PM (#57325 - in reply to #57293)

Expert

Hey, I like fast cars!  I used to like fast men but then I got married and hubby would rather I didn't tell that joke now.  It's all good, he's got fast cars!

Backyard breeding is both good and bad.  Some mighty fine animals come from small operations and some crappy animals come from big name breeders.  Some great horses started out as ugly ducklings and some nice foals turning into turds.  An assumption either way is only your opinion.

You wanna see bad breeding at it's finest?  Watch a daytime talk show or better yet teach public school.  At times I wanted to beg parents not to have any more kids for the sake of society.  Then there are the kids that don't have a real family unit...you know, who's mommy gonna wake up with today?  I want to know where good old fashioned family values went, I'd like to move there and feel normal again.  Can you imagine that in my family/hubby's also, only once has there ever been a  divorce?  My students told me that I came from geese, we mated for life.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-03-19 9:03 PM (#57345 - in reply to #57293)

Hey Huntseat....love the geese thing....In addition to public schools, sit in at child support court sometime....ughhhhhhhh......   There was a wire service story in the Jackson Sun last Thursday about horses being turned out in Eastern Kentucky......   The sad thing is that people in attempts to "do good" fail to see the big picture....ie, so many homeless people have serious mental illness........is it better to have long term institutionalization or put people out on the street?  The states chose the streets because it was cheaper, until the jails and prisons started filling up with mentally ill people....but there it is.....

Education is (imo) the best answer.............

cowboyfritz
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-03-19 9:31 PM (#57349 - in reply to #57293)

As far as backyard breeding I have five children by the same person. I plain on breeding both of my horses this year, both are registered one app. the other quarter. I also can afford to feed all of them. If anyone has a free horses  to give me I will take them to sense I have five kids.    
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-03-19 9:47 PM (#57351 - in reply to #57349)

Expert

The world has change and not for the good I fear. the breeders should only breed with responceable in mine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)