'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How to remove rivets

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-09-20 3:36 PM
6 replies, 8978 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-09-20 1:21 AM (#48820)
Subject: How to remove rivets

Regular

I am planning on replacing the Butterfly-type vents in my trailer, you know the kind with the circle that spins open...anyway...they appear to be riveted to the sheet metal, four rivets per vent. How on earth do I get those off, and when I replace them, how do I rivet them on? Where on earth do I buy a "riveter"? Is it called a "riveter"? Is this hard to do?

Many thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-09-20 1:47 AM (#48821 - in reply to #48820)
Subject: RE: How to remove rivets

Veteran

Replying to message 48820
^ Top
Gaelic

You have to drill the old rivets out. Just got to use the proper size drill bit. The part that you want to drill out is the inner portion of the rivet and it is about half the size of the outside of it (the part that you can see). Just start out with a fairly small drill bit till you move up to the one that will cut out the center of the rivet. The tool that you'll need to replace them with is called a rivet gun, they are fairly inexspensive as a hand-held manual type will do the job fine and can be picked up at most hardware stores.Would be best to get the aluminum rivets to avoid any rusting in the future.Also take the drill bit that fit the old hole with you to compare the new rivet size to. Hope this is some help,

Ardly

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-20 5:10 AM (#48827 - in reply to #48820)

Expert

Originally written by Gaelic on 2006-09-20 1:21 AM

I am planning on replacing the Butterfly-type vents in my trailer, you know the kind with the circle that spins open...anyway...they appear to be riveted to the sheet metal, four rivets per vent. How on earth do I get those off, and when I replace them, how do I rivet them on? Where on earth do I buy a "riveter"? Is it called a "riveter"? Is this hard to do?

Many thanks!

They're VERY LIKELY to be 5/32 inch or 3/16. Start with a 5/32 drill and just drill into the head. If you go in more than about 1/8 inch try a 3/16 drill bit. Once the head separates just tap the body of the rivet through.

Home Despot; less than $20 for a reasonable gun, over $100 if you ever want/need to use stainless steel 1/4 inch rivets - e.g. for door hinges.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-09-20 6:39 AM (#48829 - in reply to #48820)

Elite Veteran

Gaelic, everyone has offered good advice and technique. Let me offer a little different approach to the job you are about to tackle. The pop-rivet is a bi-metal product. Meaning there are usually 2 types of metal comprising the pop-rivet. A steel inner stem and an aluminum part that you actually see.

Here's where it gets a little complicated. I prefer to use a slightly larger drill bit than the stem/tail of the rivet. I drill ONLY until I've separated the head/flat part from the stem. You can purchase a steel punch the right diameter or just flatten the point of a big nail to do the job of punching the stem out of the hole.

If you are not really experienced with drilling rivets, the drill bit will "walk" on you if you are attempting to drill the rivet out completely. Meaning, it will follow the least path of resistance by avoiding the steel stem inside the rivet tail. This will provide you with an unwanted, elongated hole that will add a degree of difficulty to your job.

Try to drill just the head of the rivet and punch the tail of the rivet out instead of drilling all the way through.

Happy trails.

Edited by deranger 2006-09-20 6:44 AM
10Ha.Wood
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-09-20 8:21 AM (#48834 - in reply to #48820)

Originally written by Gaelic on 2006-09-20 2:21 AM

How on earth do I get those off, and when I replace them, how do I rivet them on? Where on earth do I buy a "riveter"? Is it called a "riveter"? Is this hard to do? Many thanks!

The rivets (called 'pop rivets') come in standard diameters, 1/8" being most common for home use. You should be able to buy a kit at Canadian Tire which should have a hand riveter and an assortment of rivets. To remove the rivet, use a drill bit the same size as the one required to install the rivet in the first place. (if  you have any doubts, start with a smaller size) If you use the same bit, you won't enlarge the hole and you will be able to install a new rivet of the same size later. I have sucess drilling from the head of the rivet. If you *must* drill from the back, use a finishing nail (or a used rivet shaft to drive out the remains of the hardened shaft before drilling, otherwise you will make a mess.

I'd recommend that you get a kit, install a couple of rivets into a scrap of sheet metal and see how they work. Practice removing these before moving on to your trailer.

You will need a kit and the following drill bits: 3/32, 1/8, 5/32, 3/16.

Pop rivets are very handy, once you start using them, you'll probably find all kinds of uses for them - including fixing tack! (for soft material, you can get washers to use on the back of the rivet so it doesn't pull through)

Enjoy,

Chris

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-20 11:31 AM (#48839 - in reply to #48820)

Expert

There a dozen ways to skin cats... or rivets in this case.

I do as Deranger says.  Drill the head off and punch the rivet body out.  Advantages include using a large drill (like 1/4 ) and not drilling into the parent metal at all.  It's also easier since you're not getting into the pull shank left in the rivet.  You're drilling only the soft head. 

If the rivet starts to spin while drilling, use a plier to hold the head.  Can't do this trying to drill the body out.

Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-09-20 3:36 PM (#48852 - in reply to #48820)

Regular

Thank you all! I will be heading to Crappy Tire to find one of those riveting kits - as the vents I am replacing the old ones with also need to be riveted back in. And I'll practice before I attempt this.

Many thanks again!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)