'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Labor Day Weekend at Buffalo

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-09-07 9:12 PM
6 replies, 3707 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

tncwgrl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-09-06 3:28 PM (#47986)
Subject: Labor Day Weekend at Buffalo

Hello all.  Went to Buffalo Trail Ride in Waynesboro, TN this past weekend.  The weather was perfect!  Cool nights, pleasant days...couldn't ask for better!  Lots of people had LOTS of problems with Yellow Jackets, though.  We were lucky and pretty much stayed away from the areas that others had gotten attacked at.  Only downfall to that is we couldn't do a lot of the really nice trails.  We had only once incident that ended in the death of a horse.  It was mostly an accident, no drinking involved.  Horse fell, tumbled about 35 feet and struck a tree straight in middle of its back...not sure how, but it killed it.  Thankfully there was little to no sufferring for her.  Her owners were devestated (SP?), but there was no human death or serious injury. 

I have to admit that I had a scary time getting out of the campground.  I have pulled horse trailers for many years, but never one as big as I have now.  I have a F250 Diesel 4X4.  I didn't get enough speed at the bottom of first hill, smoked all 4 tires and barely made it out.  Then I got to the other hill, longer but not as sharp.  Made it up just fine, but when I stopped to take out 4-wheel drive and commence driving, no throttle and no instrament panel!?  I had about 20 men crawling over my truck, even got a few ford mechanics on the phone, o one could figure out why the truck wouldn't move.  Finally, 5 hours later, someone checked ALL the fuses.  Number 45 of 50 fuses was blown.  Can you believe a measly little 10 amp fuse stopped me in my tracks?  Another lesson learned!

Happy trail riding all!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-06 4:59 PM (#47997 - in reply to #47986)
Subject: RE: Labor Day Weekend at Buffalo

Extreme Veteran

What year model is your Ford?   I have had the same problem with my fuses on the trailer with the new integrated brake controller.  If anything slides and hits the plug in the bed, it will blow the fuses and you can hang it up for having lights and brakes to say the least.   I finally broke down and bought a handful of fuses to keep in the console for those situations. 
tncwgrl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-09-07 8:40 AM (#48034 - in reply to #47997)

I have a 2002 F250 SD Deisel 7.?  I had the truck in 4-wheel low to go up a large hill.  Made it just fine.  Stopped to take out of 4-wheel.  Unlocked hubs.  Put in Reverse and made grinding noise and I saw a flash of 4X4 so I pushed gear further into 2D.  Then put in forward to leave, and had no gas pedal or instrement panel.....turned out to be fuse #45 - a 10 amp fuse!  Yeah, this is not the first time I have had problems with fuses.  I keep LOTS of fuses in the truck AND a fuse tester.  I got the kit at WalMart - man what a life saver. 

What kind of problems have you had?

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-07 9:30 AM (#48038 - in reply to #47986)

Extreme Veteran

I have an 06 250 and the  major problem I have had is with the fuses blowing with the trailer part that is located under the hood.  Other than that, I really have had no other issues with it. 
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-07 7:43 PM (#48067 - in reply to #47986)

Elite Veteran

Please tell me more about the fuse problem. What do I need to by at walmart?\

I am headed to Buffalo river in Oct.

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-07 8:19 PM (#48072 - in reply to #48067)

Extreme Veteran

That's the worst thing about that ride is the 5 miles of gravel hilly road to get back there and being 17 miles from town.  When it first opened , to get out of the camp alot of people would lead their horses to the top and drive the truck and trailer up then load. But its not bad anymore.
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-07 9:12 PM (#48087 - in reply to #47986)

Extreme Veteran

I blew a 20 amp fuse on mine.  I would suggest throwing in some 10 and 20 amp fuses to have just in case.  I have never had near the problem that she had with the truck locking up like that.  I just know that the fuses on both my truck and my dads are real sensitive if they get bumped when the trailer is hooked up.  I teach at a local high school and had some kids plug in our stock trailer upside down and it blew the fuses out when I got in and hit the brakes.  I never understood how they managed to get it in there like that.  Oh, well, you live and learn.  I always go behind them, but missed seeing how the plug was in.  If you ever have trouble, get out the owners manual and track down what is not working.  If you have no idea, get out the flashlight and start checking them all.  Just remember, you have two sets.  On inside and one under the hood.  Alot of the trailer functions are located under the hood on the Fords that I have owned.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)