'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
'01 Dodge Cummins STILL problems!!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-18 11:23 AM
6 replies, 2802 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-07-18 8:35 AM (#44902)
Subject: '01 Dodge Cummins STILL problems!!!

Veteran

I'll bump up the other thread too.....but my truck went in & they replaced the injector pump.  I picked it up last nite at the dealership (had to take it to one almost 100 miles away since local one has their heads where the sun doesn't shine.)  It ran fine until about 45 minutes into the drive...as I was climbing a BAD climb - 6-7% grade, very windy & 2 miles long - it just QUIT.  NOTHING.  I coasted as close to the guard rail as I could & sat....& had to call 911 since it wouldn't start & was almost run into WAY too many times by people not paying attention & not seeing my 4 way flashers!   Anyway, as the officer was calling a tow truck, I tried it one more time - after sitting about 20 minutes - & it started!!!!  Drove on home, but this morning it would not start when I needed to leave for work.............HELP!!  Any other ideas????  Dealership does not open until 9 a.m. our time (1 1/2 hrs from now), but am trying to find out more info in the meantime.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-18 9:31 AM (#44912 - in reply to #44902)
Subject: RE: '01 Dodge Cummins STILL problems!!!

Elite Veteran

Perhaps one of the highly superior intelegant beings out there will purchase this truck from you just because they enjoy Dodge trucks so much they badmouth Fords.

This would be a great opportunity for one lucky Dodge fan to step up and take this quality peice of machinery off your hands!!!

How bout it all you Ford bashers? step right up...don't be bashfull...get out that checkbook...ok ok one at a time...

THOUGHT SO!!! no one want's to put their money where their mouth is.

How boute it Bubba or Jim Bob lets cash in those empty beer cans and make a great buy.

Did the check engine lamp come on prior to the truck stopping ?

Their may be a problem with a connection or the computer may be having issues.How is your electrical system? alternator,battery? It is hard to troubleshoot this problem without having it in your hands.There maybe a loose line letting air in the fuel and the injection pump does not like air.

Their was a campaign out by Cummins to replace the lift pump and place a pressure switch on the fuel line to alert you if pressure falls.

The reason I asked about electrical system is a bad alternator can cause the ECM to get bad readings and set codes that are not correct.

I worked on a problem like this on a bus and had to finally replace the ECM as it would get hot and the increased demand of an uphill climb would cause it to shut down.

When you turh the key on and give it a short crank can you hear the electric fuel pump buzzing ? If not check your fuses and wire connections.

If it is a engine speed sensor it too will cause problems but will not set a code.It tells the ECM the engine is overspeed and will shut the fuel off.

I am sure one of the superior intellegnt Dodge fans can tell you exactly what is wrong with your truck since we all know only Fords have all the problems.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-18 9:37 AM (#44913 - in reply to #44902)

Elite Veteran

Your post says you are in the NW you may want to call Cummins at 1 800 283 0336 Portland Oregon and ask to speak to a service department person.They deal with tons of problems and may be able to help you.
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-07-18 9:49 AM (#44915 - in reply to #44902)

Veteran

Thanks for the suggestions....will ck them out & talk to the dealership about them too.  I just need any/all ideas/suggestions & appreciate them all!  BUT - I will not badmouth Dodge...vs Ford....I bought a '97 F350 PS new in '97.....thinking it would last me forever...& it was the biggest POS I have EVER owned.  It had 5 transmissions in it before 50,000 miles!  So it really doesn't matter WHAT brand it is, they all can have lemons!    I was just VERY disappointed in Ford Motor Companyt that they had NO desire to get my truck straightened out/fixed so it quit burning up trannies.  I don't look at this Dodge as a lemon...it has been a great truck & given me NO problems until this.  I just hope the dealership is able to "keep" it under warranty until we get it straightened out.

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-07-18 10:26 AM (#44918 - in reply to #44902)

Extreme Veteran

AbbyB,

Post the question at this site. Yours is a 2nd generation. Someone will point you in the right direction.....

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php

Edited by xyzer 2006-07-18 10:28 AM
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-07-18 11:16 AM (#44921 - in reply to #44902)

Veteran

ok, thank you!
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-07-18 11:23 AM (#44922 - in reply to #44902)

Elite Veteran

It could also be the fuel pump. As a weak fuel pump starts working under load it will cause low line pressure, which will at times allow it to run fine at idle, but die when you try to drive it even. Just a thought. And while I think Cummins is a great engine, I had a 1997 F350 crewcab 4x4 with the 7.3L that ran 220,000 miles under me before I sold it and never has anything but the cam sensor replaced. Some be good, some be bad.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)