'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Putting New Wood Floor In trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-10 5:48 PM
6 replies, 13257 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

MuleMan
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-09 11:38 AM (#44283)
Subject: Putting New Wood Floor In trailer

New User

Hi , I have a 1987 steel bumper pull stock/horse trailer that needs a new wood floor. I have tried looking on Google for info on how to go about it but can't find much. I would like to know what type wood would be best and how thick it should be? Should I take it to a trailer place and have it done or can it be done myself? I thank you for any info/help you can provide. Thanks , MuleMan
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-09 5:39 PM (#44293 - in reply to #44283)
Subject: RE: Putting New Wood Floor In trailer

Expert

When I did my old 2h bp I used pressure treated 2x6's.  I used the old boards as a template to drill the bolt holes.
nolefan
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-07-09 6:54 PM (#44300 - in reply to #44283)

Regular

An RV trailer place may be able to install the floor for you -

I believe that lumber is for defects (such as knots etc),  grade A or B is used in most trailers.

Bee uses a very high grade of lumber (supposingly the best grade) to make their floors - you may want to look at their website.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-09 7:07 PM (#44303 - in reply to #44283)

Expert

Hi Muleman ... Welcome to the board...

I have replaced a floor myself.  The biggest barrier is how the trailer holds the boards in.  Some trailers have the boards floating in a channel.  Others have them bolted in.  I had to cut a section of metal out then weld it back in for my trailer.  It depends on how your trailer is built.

As for what wood to use: ... I would look at what kind of wood that was originally used.  The trailer builder would have made a design choice based on the wood thickness and type.  They would have built the supporting structure based on the wood type and thickness.  Simply to say use pressure treated wood doesn't consider the use of full thickness rough sawn oak.  A much stronger wood than typical PT'ed softwood.

barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-07-10 9:28 AM (#44342 - in reply to #44283)

Veteran

Personally, I would try to find a local sawmill or other place that sold rough cut oak.  Much stronger than pressure treated wood sold at Home Depot/Lowes.  You can get it cut any thickness you desire (to fill the channel if you have one) and with a little care it will last years - even if sitting outside.
MuleMan
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-10 9:48 AM (#44345 - in reply to #44283)

New User

Hi and thanks all for your replys. Glad to be here!!

It is a homemade type horse/stock trailer appox. 16 feet long and it has wood planks bolted into a "slot" at each end , so I don't think it would be to hard for me to do it myself and I need to get it done in under 3 weeks and the waiting list at some trailer places is terrible! I just want to make sure I get the best possible wood to put in it! Some people have said oak and some have said just put the same wood that is already in it , but I can't tell what it is.
Does anyone know what kind of wood Featherlite puts in their bumper pull stock/horse trialers? Any help would be great and thanks in advance! MuleMan
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-10 5:48 PM (#44376 - in reply to #44283)

Veteran

We recently put a wood floor in a buddys 16' B.P. stock trailer, we used treated 2x8's.  They were the best deal over 2x6's, 2x10's or 2x12's.  We figured it all out like 14  2x6's was still more than 10  2x8's  etc. etc.    If you do go with rough cut lumber know that it will shrink up considerably leaving big gaps between boards and at trailer walls, BUT  it will be strong as haities!!  talk to ya later...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)