'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Tonneau and gooseneck

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-28 8:54 PM
6 replies, 3085 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

10Ha.Wood
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-06-28 7:46 AM (#43729)
Subject: Tonneau and gooseneck

All the rain we are having around here is making me miss the tonneau covers I've had on my last two trucks.

Does anyone know if there is any reason not to cover the bed of your truck with a tonneau when a gooseneck is hitched to it? (I envision a tonneau with a hole in it large enough to give clearance for the coupler and chains)

I'm basically curious as to the leagalities of this? Is there any requirement that the hitch and coupler be visible? Assuming it can be made so that there is no interference with the hitch, are there any other considerations?

Chris 

Edited by 10Ha.Wood 2006-06-28 8:14 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-06-28 8:04 AM (#43731 - in reply to #43729)
Subject: RE: Tonneau and gooseneck

Veteran

I don't think there would be any major problems as long as you've got all the safety chains, electrical, etc. in running order. It'd be one more thing to have to line up when you're hooking/unhooking, though.

I had a similar dilemma - decided to go with a folding hard tonneau - like the Advance one. That way it keeps my stuff dry, is lockable for once I'm at the show/camp (or for fishing rods, shopping etc.), and simply folds up front for transport when I'm hauling.

Since you'd probably have difficulty keeping it dry even if you made some kind of a boot, the regular tonneau or folding one and tarps would probably keep things somewhat dry. Just a thought.

LAXPatrick
ISHOM
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-06-28 10:25 AM (#43739 - in reply to #43729)

Regular

There is a manufacturer that makes them....don't remember which one.....seems like I saw it in JCWhitney????? not sure...that has a small square in the center of the tonneau cover w/a velcro flap....that way you can have your tonneau cover in place while your trailer is hooked up.....looks like alot of work to hook and unhook to me.  They do make them though.

Edited by ISHOM 2006-06-28 10:30 AM
laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-06-28 10:42 AM (#43740 - in reply to #43729)

Veteran

Found this:
For 5th wheels -
http://www.bearbeds.com/tonneau.html

From what I found, there was a company in AZ called Adbrook that had just what you're looking for. Everything I found said that they had a fire or something and are no longer in business...

10Ha.Wood
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-06-28 1:23 PM (#43747 - in reply to #43739)

My biggest concern is getting into trouble with some sort of inspector or police officer - I don't want to find out the hard way that "the locking mechanism must be visible at all times" or something to that effect. My question is not "Are they available?", it is more like "Is it a good idea?".

I would probably custom make the tonneau, I did my last two cheaper, and much higher quality, than you can buy ready made. I would try and design it so it can be unrolled with the trailer already hitched up.

laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-06-28 3:01 PM (#43751 - in reply to #43729)

Veteran

Since there's at least one manufacturer, I'd guess it to be fine.  It's not like they can see my coupler and lock driving down the road with the bed sides and tailgate blocking.  If you get pulled over, you can show them that it's locked and chained with no interference.

That said, for the final word, call your state's DOT or applicable authority.

Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-06-28 8:54 PM (#43763 - in reply to #43729)

Veteran

I've seen 3 or 4 of them.  I didn't like the way they hook up. I have been contemplating making one myself.  When I make mine I will have a velcro strip behind the gooseneck straight to the tailgate (also 2 cross strips for security when driving). This way it can be put on/taken off while the trailer is hooked. Also have elastic or drawstring to tighten around the hitch. It will not be water proof but semi-dry and secure.

Good luck.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)