'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Pop up vents & head clearance

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-20 6:03 PM
6 replies, 3284 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dressagedreamer
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-06-19 11:21 PM (#43292)
Subject: Pop up vents & head clearance

New User

I have ordered a new trailer (or float as we call them here in Australia) and the manufacturer has said that if I can get the vents I want in from the USA in time, then they will install them for me.

In Australia the only vents they seem to put in trailers are pop-up vents facing forwards (not two way) which to me brings in a large gust of air, bugs and rain.  I've been looking at what is available in the USA and you have a great variety.  The ones I think I want are the two-way pop up vents ... a couple of examples of what I mean:

http://www.austinhardware.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=210&pf%5Fid=1678

http://www.horsetraileraccessorystore.com/trailervents.htm

The concern I have (since I've never seen them "in the flesh") is the handle to swap the vent sides over and how much it hangs down into the horse stall?  We usually situate vents over the horses' shoulder area but if the handle hangs down 1 1/4" then is it going to be a problem with a difficult horse and head clearance?

I'd love any opinions and thoughts on this.  I've looked at as many web sites as I can to see how you have them situated in the USA and it seems for slant loads (mine is a straight load) you have them over the stall area, but not near where their heads are.  I have a horse that gets very hot in his current trailer and I'm trying to make sure I get as much ventilation as possible around his head without causing gale force winds when travelling at high speeds for the new one!

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2006-06-20 4:40 AM (#43297 - in reply to #43292)
Subject: RE: Pop up vents & head clearance

Elite Veteran

I purchased pop up ventilators for my trailer. They are the 2 way type and have screens built into them. The handle doesn't affect the horses all. I set mine up so that the front ones are above the horse shoulder area not over thier heads. I also have one in the middle rear above thier rump area. Mine is also a straight load. The ones I bought were aluminium, fairly easy to install. Worth the money & time.

Edited by mingiz 2006-06-20 4:43 AM
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-06-20 11:42 AM (#43331 - in reply to #43292)

Elite Veteran

I had 4 pop-up 2 way vents installed in my trailer when I ordered it and they don't bother the horses at all.  My trailer is very tall at 7'9", but I've had drafts and warmbloods in it many times.   I had  4 installed in my 2H since I live in South Fla.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-20 12:01 PM (#43332 - in reply to #43292)

Expert

http://www.horsetraileraccessorystore.com/trailervents.htm

The concern I have (since I've never seen them "in the flesh") is the handle to swap the vent sides over and how much it hangs down into the horse stall?  We usually situate vents over the horses' shoulder area but if the handle hangs down 1 1/4" then is it going to be a problem with a difficult horse and head clearance?

This unit is similar to what is in my trailer.  The 1 1/4  is about the same as the ribs supporting the roof metal.  If you have the roof insulated flush with the ribs, then the protrusion is less than 1/4 inch.

Not a significant factor in my experiance.  If you place the vents over the horse's head while standing, I would think that if he reared, his head would hit the ceiling towards his rear.  Not directly over his head, where the vent handle is.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-20 2:15 PM (#43346 - in reply to #43332)

Expert

Does the handle lay against the roof when the vent is open?
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-06-20 2:41 PM (#43350 - in reply to #43292)

Extreme Veteran

Yes, the handles lay flat against the roof when open. I figured these were standard in any trailer, my how times have changed.
dressagedreamer
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-06-20 6:03 PM (#43358 - in reply to #43292)

New User

Thanks for your prompt replies!

It sounds like if I have the vent open on "exhaust" most of the time then the handle wont be in the way, even if I do have it over their heads.  Good point hosspuller about the ribs supporting the roof, I hadn't thought about that (one of the problems of not being able to see them installed it is hard to get the concept of how they work!).

My current trailer is 7'1" ... new trailer is going to be 7'3" ... I do travel large warmbloods most of the time, but I've never had a rearer in the float (only ever seen a horse hit the roof on loading, not once in there) ... I just want to be safe for the future if I do have a difficult horse ... then again ... if they are going to hurt themselves they'll do it on the safest thing anyway!

Maybe Australian trailer manufacturers might catch on to the idea of two-way vents!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)