'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Having to tear apart trailer tack room...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-14 4:09 PM
6 replies, 3156 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-13 5:59 PM (#40390)
Subject: Having to tear apart trailer tack room...

Extreme Veteran

OH Boy what a mess I have found!!! The ding a ling that originally owned the trailer insulated and walled the tack room of the gooseneck that I own now. (95 Logan 2h slant, steel gooseneck). I love this trailer it pulls nice, anyways, I noticed the fan vent leaking in the ceiling, figured it was coming from a crack I noticed in the cover, well it's not. I followed some wet spots along some old cauking and started to pull back the fiberglass siding he used and oh boy oh boy a mess is what I found.The water has run down the wall with the door on it and down to the floor, he has plywood ontop of the original floor, any suggestions on replacing the plywood with something else. He put regular foam, like in a foam matress in the ceiling, glued all of it down, then screwed I guess I would call it fiberboard, it's big chunks glued together to make one board, up against that to the ceiling and put the fiberglass siding up against that. The wood is full of mold there is no furring for ventilation it has poorly been done. It is was also not sealed right in the beams around the vent, and has become a mess. I have been going through alot of personal LQ construction sites, and am doing it right. I just finished tearing all the s**t out today, what a chore! Trying to get it to dry out. Scraped some of the body rot out of the ceiling. A friend of ours is coming up to help us fix it right. Even though it's just a small tack with the sleeping in front, he said it will be done right and look like my mountain chalet when he's done! I'll have to keep you all posted.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-13 6:04 PM (#40392 - in reply to #40390)
Subject: RE: Having to tear apart trailer tack room...

Extreme Veteran

Take pictures of this progression! I'm sure there are many here that would love to see this one!

Whew! Good luck with this one!

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-13 6:35 PM (#40395 - in reply to #40390)

Extreme Veteran

Got the pics I took today with my cell phone camera, the only camera I had on me at the time. Here is the album I created, comments or anything feel free to put them in the album or here.......

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=56

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-14 11:44 AM (#40428 - in reply to #40390)

Expert

Originally written by cowpony01 on 2006-04-13 4:59 PM

He put regular foam, like in a foam matress in the ceiling, glued all of it down, then screwed I guess I would call it fiberboard, it's big chunks glued together to make one board, up against that to the ceiling 

You have my sympathies ... Looks like a messy job!

In picture #5 The foam is extruded polystyrene made by UCI.  This material is used as building insulation. It's better than the foam boards made up of expanded beads.  The insulation value is higher and it's stronger.  I used foam like it in my trailer ceiling.  It is unaffected by moisture. It's rigid but easy to cut.  Contrary to what you've said, I know it to be quite suitable for a trailer ceiling. 

The stuff you're calling fiberboard seems to me to be...  Oriented Strand Board or OSB

Edited by hosspuller 2006-04-14 11:48 AM
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-14 2:04 PM (#40434 - in reply to #40390)

Extreme Veteran

I do have to disagree on that foam, it is around the vent as shown in one pic and that foam had that particle board type wood against it, it ran right down between the foam, and all that foam was wet inside also. Maybe the guy just didn't put it together correctly, but I just finished scrapping rust from all over those beams that that foam was against. Tomorrow is sandblasting day!!!  Just the spots that need it bad though. I love sandblasting it's fun!!! Oh question, what type of sealant would you recommend to seal up between the beams and the ceiling to prevent any new leakage? I've throughouly check the roof and all looks good. I believe it to be from where the water came around the vent and just sat upon those boards for so long, probablly why that foam was soked, just sitting water. The vent is gonna be replaced.

I reread your post again, he used mattress foam where the trailer roof curves, along the sides and above the door, and it is mattress foam,I emailed some more pics to a friend and that's exactlly what it is, the pink foam isn't what I was talking about, sorry for the confussion. But the pink foam still didn't hold up either.

Edited by cowpony01 2006-04-14 2:08 PM
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-04-14 2:54 PM (#40438 - in reply to #40390)

Extreme Veteran

Oh, what a mess!  Sorry.
Hope you get it all fixed and still have a full head of hair!
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-14 4:09 PM (#40440 - in reply to #40390)

Extreme Veteran

It's pretty funny, all the crap you see on the walls of the trailer is spray on glue, not rust, the rust/rot is on three beams in the tack area. It looks worse than it actually is, alot better today, now that it is all torn apart and not smelly inside now. Actually smells of a regular trailer with all the mold and wetness gone!

Have to take pics once we sandblast tomorrow. Floor is still wet by the shelving corner by the door. Honey is gonna help me with that tomorrow morning, after he takes it down to have new tires put on it for me. Looks like good weather for us here in Cali. so this project shouldn't take but 3 good weekends. (No rainy weekends that is) Otherwise this trailer is a nice trailer. I'll have to put the pic up of the whole rig. Any suggestions to throw around would be great, by the way, Dawnya (sp) I love your trailer! How do you like the 4 stars? I think that is what my next trailer will be, but this one is gotta take me another 10years and I think it will once we take care of this one problem.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)