'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
v shaped alignment helper for trailer??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-06 6:56 AM
6 replies, 2740 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

carlskl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-05 8:56 PM (#40007)
Subject: v shaped alignment helper for trailer??

New User

I saw these in a few catologs this winter and want to order one. Anybody know where to start looking and do they really "help" to get the trailer hooked up faster then getting out of the truck 20 times to see you are either to far forward or need to come forword or turn your wheel to the left/right. If there is no one watching I am a pro. But if I even think that some one is peeking at me from the house or watching from a distance, I can;t seem to do it. I also may make it a better hook up between my husband and I!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BuddyB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-05 9:31 PM (#40008 - in reply to #40007)
Subject: RE: v shaped alignment helper for trailer??

I have also seen these alignment tools. No experience with one, however, was wondering if they make them for gooseneck hookups. Between a crew cab and tool box, forget seeing the ball.
ISHOM
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-04-05 9:44 PM (#40009 - in reply to #40007)

Regular

I lie a board lengthways of the bed in line with the ball so I can line my trailer up with the board as I'm backing to get in line with the ball.  If you have a string with a washer on each end.....hang it  cross ways of the bed above the ball so when the front of the hitch of the gooseneck hits the string you know you're over the ball......  When done..roll it up and put it in your  glovebox.  The board can always be used for something if in the back of the truck...
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-05 10:01 PM (#40010 - in reply to #40007)

Expert

FIRST time you might get out of the truck 20 times, second attempt might be down to 15 or 12, the exercise is good, after a while you get down to once, maybe twice - except when someone is watching to see how good you are, or you're in a hurry, or it is raining.

There are any number of gizmos for this.
I bought one for a family member, it consists of a pair of brightly colored rods that have magnets on their basses. Place one on the ball, the other one on the coupler and back up using your interior rear view mirror to align them to each other, when the one on the ball falls over you're there. It works.

Someone on this board uses a pair of bungy cords crossed over the bed to help get aligned to their gooseneck hitch, sounds good. I'm fortunate, I have a flatbed and there is a seam right on the centerline.
carlskl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-05 10:03 PM (#40011 - in reply to #40007)

New User

I have a 3 horse pumber pull and my husbands truck has a TOPPER--it sucks trying to hook up unless I have a friend present..
paintthatain't
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-04-05 11:08 PM (#40013 - in reply to #40007)

Regular

Yeah I think I know what you're talkin' about. Last summer I saw a new gadgit on a truck at our rodeo, It consisted of a special reciever slug that had 2 removable wings that helped guide the tounge over the ball. Once you were all hooked up you just pop them off and toss them behind the seat. It worked very good and was simple as could be. I think it was made by Reese Mfg.

CS

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-06 6:56 AM (#40017 - in reply to #40011)

Expert

Originally written by carlskl on 2006-04-05 11:03 PM

I have a 3 horse pumber pull and my husbands truck has a TOPPER--it sucks trying to hook up unless I have a friend present..

Then I definitiely recommend the magnetic poles I described earlier, they're probably 4ft long and will stick up well above a tailgate and into the topper's rear window area.
The trick is to use ONLY your interior mirror to aim the poles at each other.

I've said it before WRT backing up - "Helpers don't".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)