'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
1994 4 Star with leak between tank/shower

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-07-21 8:56 AM
6 replies, 4793 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gypsygirl
Reg. Jun 2013
Posted 2013-07-08 1:11 PM (#153218)
Subject: 1994 4 Star with leak between tank/shower

Actually. it's a little worse than the title. I just bought a 1994 2 horse 4 star with mid tack and LQ...a HUGE upgrade for me. I wanted to put laminate floor in the LQ to replace the old carpet, so I pulled up the carpet to find rigid insulation laid down over the original carpet & a HUGE soft spot in floor. Pulled up THAT carpet to find wet, nasty plywood subfloor over thin foam insulation over the aluminum floor. Cried, thought about it, cried some more. Decided the immediate issue was a leaky shower, located in the mid tack. Pulled shower to find that it apparently drains directly into the gray water tank via a hole in the trailer floor which corresponds to a hole in the top of the gray water tank. Liberal ammounts of silicone applied to all surfaces to create a "seal" which has not withstood the test of time. Dropped both grey water tanks....sink in LQ plumbed the same way. So now I have my beautiful, expensive (to me) trailer sitting in the front yard, grey water tanks sitting next to it, and my non horsey husband asking me "How do you plan on fixing that?" I don't have a clue. I am reasonably handy, husband will help....professional intervention not an option (the purchase busted my trailer budget). Help!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-07-09 2:25 PM (#153243 - in reply to #153218)
Subject: RE: 1994 4 Star with leak between tank/shower

Veteran

It sounds like you need to completely clean all the old sealant from the waster pipes and tanks. Speak with plumber and determine what type of sealant or perhaps a rubber gasket that would seal the waste pipe into the tank. In my opinion silicon is highly over rated, other sealants work far better than this "old" standard.
Gypsygirl
Reg. Jun 2013
Posted 2013-07-10 9:31 AM (#153260 - in reply to #153218)

Used a grinder with a wire brush to clean all the old silicone from all surfaces, will probably stop by an rv place to pick someone's brain re: plumbing and fittings. Husband is trying to persuade me not to replace the tanks....just plumb it so I can drain the grey water thru a hose onto the ground or into a portable tank. Just priced the portable totes and they are pretty pricey!
Mira
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2013-07-10 3:11 PM (#153277 - in reply to #153218)

Regular

Are you sure it was a leaky shower? We had a leaky water pump that did the same thing to our 4 star.Took us a while to figure it out we thought the leak was else ware and replaced the floor only to have it happen again that's when we realized it was the water pump.We had hooked up to water at a camp and did not use the regulator and the water pressure pushed a small gasket in the pump out of place! A painful and learning experience lol almost like hitting the same thumb twice! Fixed it I did get a nice wood look Lino floor out of the deal though!
beenaround
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2013-07-11 6:02 PM (#153302 - in reply to #153218)

Fill your black tanks full of water to see if they are leaking. They make a black gasket fitting that goes over the outlet pipe and when your tanks are pushed back into place, they seal. You can pressurize your water sytem with nothing turned on to see if there is a leak in a line or at water pump. Cut out mushy plywood, replace with new and recover your floor with floating simulated wood laminate. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Edited by beenaround 2013-07-11 6:04 PM
Gypsygirl
Reg. Jun 2013
Posted 2013-07-11 8:32 PM (#153303 - in reply to #153218)

Beenaround, that is the plan.....it doesn't seem quite so daunting now that I've had time to let it sink in, lol. Taking a break from plumbing to get a new ac put in (at least I knew that didn't work when I bought the trailer). Already had purchased new floor, some really pretty "maple" laminate. I've put similar flooring in a previous trailer, so at least I'm comfortable with that process.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2013-07-21 8:56 AM (#153466 - in reply to #153218)

Expert

I just learned of a product that could help you.  (Had my own toilet problem at home)  It's called sani-seal.  Manufacturer specifies RV use on the package too.

Link here >>  http://sanisealgasket.com/

Edited by hosspuller 2013-07-21 8:58 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World