'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Interior lights - wiring basics

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-03 5:19 PM
6 replies, 13917 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

JB77
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-08-02 2:34 PM (#123098)
Subject: Interior lights - wiring basics

New User

Trying to figure out why interior lights on TrailsWest 2-horse trailer aren’t working, what am I missing?  Are there trailer fuses, or a circuit panel, and if so where would they be?  Internal battery reads 11.9V, but I’m not sure if that only powers the emergency brakes.

The 7-pin connector from the Chevy truck is providing power on all the pins; the 12-v pin and Aux pin are powered when the truck is on, and the exterior lights work fine when the truck lights are on.  Junction box under the trailer tongue is crammed with wires/connectors, but it doesn’t seem to be a very logical place for fuses.  Any advice will be appreciated.  Even a wiring diagram would help.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2010-08-03 5:01 AM (#123122 - in reply to #123098)
Subject: RE: Interior lights - wiring basics

Expert

If the truck is supplying 12 Volts to the Aux pin, then obviously the problem is from there to the interior lights. Have you checked to see if you have voltage at the light? That would indicate no ground, if there is no voltage at the light then you have a wiring problem from the plug to the interior of the trailer.

Of course always check the bulb with a known good one............

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-08-03 9:03 AM (#123126 - in reply to #123098)

Expert

Originally written by JB77 on 2010-08-02 3:34 PM

The 7-pin connector from the Chevy truck is providing power on all the pins;

The ground pin should not be supplying power. If you don't have a proper ground circuit, the lights won't work properly.

JB77
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-08-03 12:28 PM (#123137 - in reply to #123098)
Subject: RE: Interior lights - wiring basics - UPDATE

New User

Trails West says the problem is most likely bad connection or corrosion within the trailer junction box.  Trailer is 2003 model and box cover appears too loose so I tend to think they're right.  Should know by the end of the day.

They provided their standard wiring for 7-pin connector indicating:  Black - Hot Wire - Dome and Load lights.  Their other pin / wire colors are in attached pdf diagram.

Trails West rep also said that the Chevy truck connector 'hot pin' usually isn't wired to provide power to trailer when truck is not running - unless the dealer makes that change when the truck is originally delivered.  That's not what is causing my difficulties, but it does need to be changed to have interior trails lights when truck is parked (just need to be sure they are all turned off when not needed to avoid running down truck battery.)

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-08-03 2:53 PM (#123141 - in reply to #123098)

Expert

Quote "Trails West rep also said that the Chevy truck connector 'hot pin' usually isn't wired to provide power to trailer when truck is not running - unless the dealer makes that change when the truck is originally delivered." 

I believe the above statement to be false..... I think your Trails West guy is thinking of Ford. The Ford truck has to be either running or at least have the ignition switch on.

What year model is your truck?

All of my GM truck's hot pin in the 7 prong plug is hot all of the time, doesn't matter if the truck is running or not, just so long as the 40 amp fuse is in place under the hood. If the fuse is not installed the connector will not be hot at any time, running or not.

Here's a chart that may help you....  http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/wiring.asp

JB77
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-08-03 4:41 PM (#123144 - in reply to #123141)

New User

With apologies to you and Trails West both; thanks for making me look back at the fuse box.  The 40-amp fuse is in place but it is connected to an external stud on the side of fuse compartment, which doesn't have a nut to complete the connection!  I had read the diagram attached thinking the left side was the truck socket noted as "car end"; when the hot stud is at the 2 o'clock position, and I really wasn't getting the 12v from the truck even though I thought I was. 

This is a 2009 Chevy which daughter has had for six months and has just noticed she didn't have the interior lights in the trailer!  Thanks to everyone.

walbern1
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2010-08-03 5:19 PM (#123145 - in reply to #123098)

On my 2007 GMC neither of those studs came prewired from the factory. One is for the "Hot" trailer connection which is live all the time and the other was for the trailer brake power. One nut is an M6 metric and the other is and M8.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)