'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How to find a title?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-26 12:22 PM
6 replies, 7858 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

tag87
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-25 7:30 PM (#120571)
Subject: How to find a title?

New User

I bought a 89 Calico 2H GN a couple of years ago, and did not insist on a title at the time of sale (did not know that I would need one for a horse trailer). I live in Alabama and am a farmer, so I'm not technically required to tag the trailer. My husband and I have turned the dressing area into a camper and since we will be traveling out of state in the coming months, I thought that I should get a tag for the trailer. The state of Alabama won't give me a tag without a title even though I have a bill of sale. I have no way of contacting the prior owner, and the trailer was not titled in Alabama. Any suggestions on how to find out what state it was titled in short of calling each and every DMV?

Thanks for any advice in advance.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-25 8:44 PM (#120575 - in reply to #120571)
Subject: RE: How to find a title?

Extreme Veteran

I think Alabama does have a procedure for titling vehicles for which the title has been lost.  I was at a farm auction last year looking at a classic car that was to be auctioned.  I struck up a conversation with a man there who said that he gets his titles through Alabama and the transfers the title to this state where it is more difficult.

That leads me to believe that it can be done there.

The only idea I have in finding the title is if the seller was the original owner and the manufacturer is still in business.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-25 9:58 PM (#120582 - in reply to #120571)

Expert

In some states it's possible to get a "home built title". It takes some doing, but may be an alternative. Check with your local DMV and ask what your options are.
conner
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-05-25 10:54 PM (#120583 - in reply to #120571)

In Texas you give the VIN number to the License Plate office and they will run the number. If that VIN is not in the Texas computer you can get a bill of sale, statement of fact from the seller saying the trailer has never been registered and used on a farm and a Texas tile is easy to get. Getting a title on these trailers, if the first owner didn't take care of business, can sometimes be very difficult if not impossible. Good luck.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-05-26 8:16 AM (#120598 - in reply to #120571)

Elite Veteran

Just remember, even with all of the title work swapping through states or homebuilt- if a prior version of a title or MSO ever shows up it will take priority. Be careful.
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-26 9:20 AM (#120600 - in reply to #120571)

Extreme Veteran

The man I spoke with at the auction said there were brokers in Alabama who got titles for people who live in states where getting replacement titles is more difficult.  Unfortunately, those services cost clost to $300.00.

Also, check to see the year in which Alabama's title law became effective - older vehicles didn't have titles.

Edited by Phoresic 2010-05-26 9:21 AM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-05-26 12:22 PM (#120606 - in reply to #120571)

Expert

Altho not in Alabama,I also live in a state that requires a title in order to tag a trailer.Sales tax has to be paid on the trailer as well as property taxes here. I'll NEVER forget the hassle we went through last summer with a childhood "friend" by trying to buy his trailer making a down payment only to learn that he had never titled it in his name and therefore,did not have the title.Man alive.

Fortunately, we lucked out and found another trailer that we preferred more for the same price.Unfortunately,I had to have an attorney send a letter demanding the down payment back.Very uncomfortable business between two former friends.

The state dept.of Revenue ran the VIN # and that is how I learned about the legal holder of the title on the trailer.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)