'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
safety and porable corral

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-04-13 10:27 PM
6 replies, 4688 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2010-02-16 9:57 PM (#116683)
Subject: safety and porable corral

Regular

Hi,  I would like to use an electric portable corral and I'm wondering about negative issues with it.  I have a horse that is a little high spirited and a bit of a fence crawler.  I understand that I would need to aquaint him with the electric fencing at home.  I intend to use the white tape, step in posts and run 2 lines on the posts.  My question is if my horse goes through it how likely is it that he will become tangled on the poly fencing?  Has anyone had this happen?  Also seems like when we are on a large ride someones horses always escape, but maybe they have dead batteries and just think the horse will respect the fence.  Opinions on whether it's worth the time and money? Potentially dangerous?  Thanks  Joan 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-02-16 10:58 PM (#116688 - in reply to #116683)
Subject: RE: safety and porable corral

Expert

I use this stuff a lot.  We pack into the wilderness and set up the hot string around a meadow or places we want to let our horses graze.  I do high line at night.  Mainly because we have had deer and elk run through the hot wire. They just don't know what it is. I've had to wander throught he trees collecting broken string in the morning after the elk herd ran through the meadow. That's another reason I use the string besides it's cheaper and lighter to pack, it breaks if a wild animal runs through it.

The biggest problem with my horses and the hot wire, is if I make the enclosure too small and have multiple horses.  The alpha horse will push the others around and sooner or later, somebody gets pushed through the wire.  If I make the enclosure big enough for the horses to get away from each other, I don't have any problem. On some pack trips I will take two  1/4 mile rolls of poly string and fence off an entire meadow and turn out 18-19 horses. Many who have not met before the trail ride that day. With  that much room they spread out and do just fine.

You can barely see one of the white fiberglass rods in front of the small spruce on the lower left part of the picture. We usually pack in about 40 fiberglass rod and run a single string of poly string around.  We usually include a few trees for a windbreak, shade, or protection in case a mountain shower blows across. We high line the horses at dark and put them out in the meadow during the daylight hours.

Even the mules respect it.  I would think if you used the tape, and had multiple strands and gave plenty of room, You would be fine. As long as a strange animal didn't run through it in the dark. 

Edited by Painted Horse 2010-02-16 11:02 PM
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2010-02-16 11:08 PM (#116689 - in reply to #116683)

Extreme Veteran

Ditto, Jon's remarks about enough room for them to get away from the trouble makers. I guess we have just been lucky, the only thing to every go thru ours(other than an occasional horse) has been a bear occasionally. We usually put one or two in the pen, then turn the others loose to graze. Never have needed to high line them.

We have had some go thru the fence, but never got tangle up in the fence. After they are well acquainted with the fence, some horsed don't even need to have the charger turned on. I will frequently, put one or two in a pen without the charger.
sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-03-01 10:49 PM (#117156 - in reply to #116683)

Regular

A bear?? My horses would be GONE. There is some information out there that says horses can actually see the darker tape better than the white tape.
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-04-12 5:25 PM (#118735 - in reply to #116683)

Veteran

Joan,  I second the big pen if you have multiple horses. I've used the thin twine and now use the thin tape.  I do a minimum of 80 foot diameter pen for even a couple of horses. I use two strands to prevent the eating under the wire thing.   Like Painted Horse, the pen is normally just for the day, and I try for a couple of trees and some water if possible.  At night I go for pens or portable corrals or some sort or high line.  I have used the electric at night, but only in situations where I felt that I wasn't going to have issues.
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2010-04-13 10:25 AM (#118752 - in reply to #118735)

Extreme Veteran

I have witnessed horses bolting through the portable electric corrals. They usually break free but there is always the possibility of something giving them a laceration in the process. Giving them plenty of room as already stated is important but if you are going to rides with lots of people, you may have some constraints as to how large you can make your pen. Some horses respect the hotwire more than others, it will depend a lot on your horse's respect of the hotwire as to how effective it will be. I, and countless others, have used them successfully at distance rides.
oklahoma horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-04-13 10:27 PM (#118777 - in reply to #116683)

Regular

I've never seen a horse (doesn't mean it couldn't happen) get hurt in an electric corral and I have seen horses get badly hurt tangled up on a high line. I've used electric tape for years with no problems. I always take extra batteries too for the charger. I run two strands of tape on the step in plastic poles I got from Horse.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)