'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
air compressors

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-07-28 10:24 PM
6 replies, 4969 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2009-07-21 5:48 PM (#108314)
Subject: air compressors

Veteran

Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I've been here. We finally moved out into the country on 6 acres with our 2 horses and family. Our horses just love the grass in their pasture (dry lot before) and we love our new home.My question is this. We need to buy an air compressor to pump up the trailer tires and compact tractor tires. How do I know how much compressor to buy? I know not to get anything less than 90 PSI if we want to use any air tools, but we don't need a compressor that matches the PSI of our largest tire, do we? For example, can a compressor with less PSI adequately fill a tire that requires 120 PSI?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-07-21 7:18 PM (#108321 - in reply to #108314)
Subject: RE: air compressors

Expert

The capacity and type of compressor will depend on how much you will use it and if you will have any air tools. An air compressor is a very handy tool, one that you wonder how you got along without after you've had it for a while.

There are two types of compressors, oil less and oil bath. The oil less are less expensive, portable and not as long lasting if used often. They are commonly seen on the smaller units used by contractors for their portability. They are 2 - 4 hp direct drive motors, 4 - 10 gal, and will run nail guns and the like. Prices are in the $150 -$250 range. They are available in pancake styles as well as conventional tanks and uprights. They can be plugged into most household outlets.

In the $250 - $400 range are better oil bath, 20 gal units with 4 HP belt driven compressors. They push the capacity of all but the 20 amp outlets. They are longer lasting, able to furnish enough air for most tools, and spray guns. They are less portable, and work very well in a garage for a multitude of projects.

Vertical tank models with 5 & 6 HP, 220 V motors of 40 - 60 gal sizes are used for serious mechanics. They are also available with two stage compressors that are more efficient and produce higher pressures.

Any of these units will produce about 90 - 100 psi minimum, and will air tires. The main criteria when buying a compressor is the CFM, the cubic feet per minute of air that it compresses. The higher the amount, the more useful it is and the more expensive it becomes. The small oil less models put out around 3 - 5 CFM, enough for your tires. The middle units typically compress about 5 -9 CFM, and are large enough to spray paint, use an impact gun etc. The large compressors have enough capacity to run an air line wide open and still hold pressure.

The middle priced ones are sold by every hardware store, Sears, big box stores etc. They do a fine job, and you can use them for spray painting. I have all three. The portable one is ideal to bring into the house when using finishing nailers for wood working projects, or to take into the barn when I have to use a framing gun. It is a 4 hp 10 gal oil less and cost ~$175.

My first compressor was a Sears 20 gal 4 HP that I used very hard while shooting fiberglass materials. It could not keep up with shooting fiberglass gel coatings. It was replaced with a 60 gal unit that can run two air tools at the same time.

I would recommend the 4 hp oil bath type with belt driven compressor and a 20 gal tank. You won't out grow it as fast, when you realize how useful the compressors are. Installing synthetic oil in the compressor will make them last a life time. My Sears is over 35 years old and still going strong.

Gard

Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2009-07-21 8:52 PM (#108329 - in reply to #108314)

Veteran

Thanks for the info Gard. What does everyone else have? I know the tractor we just bought needs air in the front tires, and all we have is a small Black&Decker Air Station at this point. Will that work to put air in the tires? We plan to use the new compressor for airing tires on the two-horse bumper pull, 3H GN with 10' LQ, and our Kubota compact tractor. My hubby is quite handy and does most handyman and remodeling jobs himself so I'm sure we'll be getting some toys for the compressor as well for future projects.

Edited by Candy girl 2009-07-22 7:42 AM
BMC Bermuda grass
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-07-21 9:31 PM (#108333 - in reply to #108314)

I have a little dual tank John Deere.  It has a Subura gas motor and works well airing all tires from John Deere gator tires to Semi truck tires that require 110 PSI.  It is not the fastest (CFM's), but gets the job done and doesn't take up much room in the bed of my pickup.  Starts on the first pull every time even in cold weather.  It costs around $700 at the local John Deere store.  Cheaper compressors are available.  Try Tractor Supply
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-07-22 6:22 PM (#108398 - in reply to #108314)

Extreme Veteran

I've got a 5hp, 120v, oil lubed, 30 gallon. It's semi-portable, it's on wheels. It really isn't enough sometimes but for most people it would be fine and it can be stuck out of the way when not needed.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-07-27 9:24 PM (#108638 - in reply to #108314)

Expert

I had a guy come out with a back hoe to clear some misquite out of my pasture and he used my little 'ciggarette lighter plug in compressor' to fill one of his tires.  It took forever but got it up to 100psi.  If the little $15 dollar compressor could fill that I would think any of the regular plug in ones would work as well.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-07-28 10:24 PM (#108703 - in reply to #108314)

Expert

http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/65A3200A0A0.aspx
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'