'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New Trailer Owner - Maintenance Questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-05-04 7:35 PM
6 replies, 3126 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-05-03 1:27 PM (#104383)
Subject: New Trailer Owner - Maintenance Questions

Regular

Hi There,

About 6 months ago, I bought my first horse trailer - it is a 1999 Shoop 2H with a ramp. I am generally pleased with the trailer, but it has had a few issues. As I am new to owning, I really don't have a clue about proper trailer maintenance. I have had the bearings packed/fittings greased, but now I really don't know exactly where to go next....sooo here are my questions. (I would greatly appreciate as much input as you are able to give!)

1. The roof leaks. It is a steel trailer - I have been on the roof, and noticed that it was manufactured using two pieces of steel. There is about a 1 inch gap between the two sheets of steel, which had been sealed with caulk. I pulled out all of the old caulk, and replaced with a mobile home/RV quality caulk. The roof still leaks . Is there anything out there that will help to solve this problem? Also, what are "weeping or weep" holes and should every trailer have them?

2. I notice that the mats to this trailer are actually sealed/caulked to each other and to the sides of the trailer. (To the point where you can't lift them up) There are two mats - one skinny one in front of where the horses stand and one large one that covers the entire horse area. Are these mats supposed to be lifted off of the floor after each use? They are very thick...about 3/4 inch if that helps.

3. The floor. I got under the trailer and poked around as much as I could when I bought the trailer - the floor was new and had just been replaced. How long does a typical floor last? (obviously, I suppose it would greatly depend on the type of wood used - this was pressure treated pine) Also, what are the warning signs that you need a new floor? Is there better wood to use? Any other floor tips out there?

4. The outside. I am in Georgia, and we have three summer culprits in our weather - heat, humidity, and rain...all of which have begun to reak havoc on the outside of my trailer. There is no way to get it under a building, so it has been sitting out in the elements. I have been afraid to cover it with a tarp, because I don't know if that would actually trap the moisture causing more harm than good. Is there anything that is "standard" to use for sanding down and repainting a trailer? Any sealants that I can put on the outside of it?

5. How often should the bearings be packed/ fittings greased? Do you rotate horse trailer tires?

Also, any other general tips would be greatly appreciated. After reading this, I make the trailer sound like junk...but its not, haha. It just needs attention :) Thanks for reading and I look forward to replies!

Edited to attach a picture -

Edited by kickshaw44 2009-05-03 1:30 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-05-03 1:43 PM (#104384 - in reply to #104383)
Subject: RE: New Trailer Owner - Maintenance Questions

Expert

This book may help with some of your ??????'s

http://www.equispirit.com/info/horsebook.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Maintaining-Servicing-Trailer-reference/dp/0876056869

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-05-03 3:34 PM (#104388 - in reply to #104383)

Elite Veteran

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-05-03 3:34 PM (#104389 - in reply to #104383)

Elite Veteran

I owned a Shoop years ago.  They are still being made in PA.
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-05-03 7:37 PM (#104399 - in reply to #104383)

Veteran

1.  roof - I have some roof tape sealant that works wonders, we put that product through the ringer while testing and it is the most durable product I have seen

2-3.  the mats most certainly need to be pulled out after washing.  Wash and allow to dry will greatly increase the life of you floor.  The pressure treated will last as long as the trailer if properly cared.

4.  buy a trailer cover, worth its weight in gold (not really since gold is 1k/oz)

5.  pack bearing 1 time per year, no use in rotating tires unless you have uneven tire wear (and you shouldn't have uneven tire wear unless your hub is bent)

Hope this helps!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-05-04 3:46 PM (#104438 - in reply to #104399)

Expert

What type of tape is it?
kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-05-04 7:35 PM (#104449 - in reply to #104383)

Regular

thank you very much for your replies - I actually just found that book online - I will be ordering it shortly.

Thank you also for the suggestion on the tape - do you know what type of tape it is?

Keep those suggestions coming - I am all ears!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)