'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Gypsum Hills Kansas

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-09 6:24 PM
6 replies, 4116 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dcrider
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-02-27 6:41 AM (#100267)
Subject: Gypsum Hills Kansas

I am planning to ride this May in the Gypsum Hills near Medicine Lodge, Kansas. All of my horses are barefoot. Have you ridden it before and do I need to put shoes on my horses? My horses can tolerate moderate rocks and have no trouble with the chalky type rocks you sometimes see in Kansas praries.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-03-04 12:24 PM (#100631 - in reply to #100267)
Subject: RE: Gypsum Hills Kansas

Elite Veteran

dcrider, guess nobody rides in Kansas as no replies yet. :) I've only ridden at Kanopolis. Where the ground is similar to Hillsdale Lake, Melvern, Eisenhower lake etc.

I have heard that Medicine Lodge looks a lot like the Ozarks, but without ever actually seeing it can't say for sure. I'm going to my KC Foxtrotter club meeting this weekend and I think one of the gals in the club has been there. I'll ask around and get back to ya.

Maybe you could take some trail boots just to be safe. Sure wouldn't want to sore your horse on the first day of riding. We have so many plans this year that I don't think we will make it to that ride. Each year we pick a new place to go and this year it is Big Piney and maybe Custer, SD (see other post).

Are you going on the May ride? Hopefully this year we won't get rained out as much as last summer and fall. I've got trail riding fever bad!!

dcrider
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-03-04 7:16 PM (#100675 - in reply to #100267)

I'm planning on the group ride on May 16 and 17. I ordered Easy Boot Gloves just in case I need some foot care. See ya on the trail.
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-03-05 6:43 AM (#100702 - in reply to #100267)

Elite Veteran

I am curious, is this the "all women" trailride? I have some friends who ride down there every year... I think they said the footing was chalky limestone type sand?anyway, they also said that there are some very steep(even for old pros with steel guts) passes. I would like to see some pics... We rode all over Kansas before we moved down to Missouri, but we never got over to Medicine Lodge.
dcrider
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-03-05 8:34 PM (#100759 - in reply to #100702)

We are going on a weekend that is co-ed. The ladies ride earlier in the month I think. There is a good website on this if you Google "Gypsum Hills Kansas Trail Ride."
traveller
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-03-09 5:38 PM (#100969 - in reply to #100267)

I have been the Gypsum Hills with my horse and didn't have any problems with him being barefoot. He has very good feet and very tough soles. The surface at the Gypsum Hills is different than Kanopolis which is basically sandstone and is a good place for barefoot mounts. There are other places in Kansas such as Tutle Creek which has lots of flint where shoes, perhaps even pads, would be a good idea. The Gypsum Hills might be a bit harder than Kanopolis, but if your barefoot horses have good feet I wouldn't think that you would have any problems. That said, boots are always a good backup.
dcrider
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-03-09 6:24 PM (#100975 - in reply to #100267)

Traveller, thanks for the information. As it turns out I'm also going to Kanoplis in June so can I take from your email that I won't need shoes there either? Great information.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)