'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Conversion questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-20 12:16 PM
6 replies, 3542 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

WildEquine
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-18 12:01 PM (#91722)
Subject: Conversion questions

We are planning to convert the forward stall of a slant load to increase the "bunk house" space created in the dressing room area of the trailer. Somehow my last post never made it to the forum so here goes again.  This is a two horse slant so will be left with a one horse slant ... want to retain  the option for a walk thru door to the horse area.

(1)  Is there a place where the metal slant wall can be bought?

(2)  Any suggestions on setting up the 39"X6' area?

(3)  About the only thing we still need is a table and seating.

(4)  Any suggestions as to sites to buy tables that drop from a wall/or perhaps needed hardware and supplies for a table that could be converted to the base of a cot/bed/sofa?

(5)  Is there such a thing as a sliding door or 2' door that could be utilized for the access to the horse area (looking for something that can be used at the head side as opposed to center). 

Thanks all for any information ... our existing conversion was accomplished with input from this site so hope to accomplish the same mission this time. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-09-18 12:14 PM (#91723 - in reply to #91722)
Subject: RE: Conversion questions

Extreme Veteran

It is a very simple project to make your own drop down table out of a sheet of plywood and a piano hinge.  If you dont want a drop leg on the table, use chain that is anchored tothe wall and the table top.  The wood can be painted or covered  in formica, or even tiled.

Marla

Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-09-18 12:53 PM (#91727 - in reply to #91722)

Veteran

I use the site below.  I placed my table next to the boot box which I use as seating and storage.  The Post mount on the table is offset to one side so If I need additional space I rotate the table 180 degrees.  http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page?dealerId=1338&pageNum=200
WildEquine
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-19 9:57 AM (#91759 - in reply to #91723)

Wonderful information ... I knew this site would come through for me.  Any advce as far as constructing the wall between horse and people compartment.  I am a bit un-easy with using anything other than the metal originally used for the wall but as I stated that is not an option for it is utilized into the existing "quarters."  Don't want a horse putting a foot through it and getting hung up.  I'm hoping rubber matting on the horse side will solve this possibility.  I contacted CM and scanned their site but don't see the slant wall ... seems at one time it could be ordered.  Does anyone else use the back slant stall for hauling?  I don't take more than one horse when traveling but this is a horse trailer and want my animals to be comfortable.  The existing "people" or escape door will be in the new conversion so I want to install a walk-thru in the new wall.  Thanks all for your knowledge and advice......"Mikey"
trguy4820
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-09-20 10:56 AM (#91813 - in reply to #91722)

Regular

The metal slant walls are built by the individual trailer manufacturer for their trailers. They are usually 16 to 18 guage sheet steel mounted on a frame built from steel tubing. You have to have studs on each side of the trailer to mount the wall to which you may already have in place. A good welding shop can build and install a slant wall for you. The bulkhead doors thru the slant wall are also built by the trailer mfr. But you use whatever style and type that suits you. You can have a door mounted on the head side of the trailer allowing for the space to open and close it. It is probably best to do this all at the same time to make sure all fits correctly. Hope this helps.

Edited by trguy4820 2008-09-20 10:58 AM
WildEquine
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-20 11:48 AM (#91814 - in reply to #91813)

Yes this helps a bunch in concern to a steel wall. Has anyone built the wall with studs, etc. and then covered the horse side with metal. How strong and safe would that be should a horse put weight against it? We live in the boonies and having a steel wall made could pose a problem. I searched the CM site and see no options there. "Mikey"
trguy4820
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-09-20 12:16 PM (#91815 - in reply to #91814)

Regular

If you frame the inside of the wall away from the horse compartment you could use any type of wall material. Just make sure the framing (studs) is sufficiently strong that a horse could not damage it by leaning into it, etc.

Trailer mfrs use steel and tubing because it is typically the cheapest & fastest way to get the job done. It is not because it is always the best way or the only way to do it. You could use 2x4 wood studs and plywood to do this but you are subject to the problems of anything done with wood in a trailer.

Edited by trguy4820 2008-09-20 12:21 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)