'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What size hitch for a 2 horse BP

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-25 9:42 AM
5 replies, 9336 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

shaunar
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-23 9:28 PM (#86221)
Subject: What size hitch for a 2 horse BP

New User

I have a 2004 Tahoe.  I bought it when it was a year old and someone had taken the tow package off of it.  Anyway, I have a standard old school 2 horse bumper trailer.  Today I bought a Reese Class III 6,000 pound, 600 pound tongue limit heavy duty trailer hitch.  Before I go to the trouble of putting it on, can anyone tell me if it is going to be enough to pull my 2 horse with?  If it makes much difference, I haul one 16+ hand horse and one 14.3 hand horse.  Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-06-24 12:13 AM (#86235 - in reply to #86221)
Subject: RE: What size hitch for a 2 horse BP

Expert

You'll have to know what the trailer weighs fully loaded.  Then you will know what size hitch to buy.  But I would think that 6000lbs should cover most 2 horse bp's.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-24 1:23 AM (#86237 - in reply to #86221)

Expert

NOTE: Always choose a hitch that is strong enough to handle the maximum anticipated total weight of the trailer but does not exceed the towing capacity of your vehicle. Refer to your vehicle's owner’s manual for maximum towing and tongue weight limitations. The trailer tongue load should be kept at 10 percent of the loaded trailer weight for weight-carrying* (deadweight) trailer hitches, and 12 percent for weight-distributing** (equalizing) trailer hitches. Also, you may want need to consider vehicle modifications that might be beneficial, such as stiffer springs, air springs, overload or air assist shocks, larger sway bars or automatic transmission fluid (ATF) cooler. Such modifications may be needed on vehicles used for heavy towing or long-distance towing. You may also want to refer to the U.S. Department of Transportation web site for additional towing tips and information.

Class I Hitches

This is the lightest type of trailer hitch. A Class 1 trailer hitch can handle a gross trailer weight (GTW) of up to 2,000 lbs., and a maximum tongue weight of 200 lbs. The hitch may be a simple drawbar-type hitch or step bumper-type hitch. Other hitches may have a crossbar with a small one-inch or 1-1/2-inch square receiver, or a small 2-inch by 5/8-inch receiver. This type of hitch is often used on smaller cars, smaller pickups and smaller vans (minivans) for bicycle racks, camping racks, and light-duty towing. We sell many fine class 1 hitches as well as an economical, easy to install (do-it-yourself) Class 1 trailer hitch.

Class II Hitches

Class II hitches are for loads of up to 3,500 lbs. GTW and 300 lbs. tongue weight such as a small boat trailer, snowmobile trailer, motorcycle trailer or camper. This type of trailer hitch is appropriate for larger cars, full-size vans, full-size pickups and SUVs. Many of our class II hitches are designed specifically for your vehicle, and we have some universal class II trailer hitches as well.

Class III Hitches

Class III hitches can handle up to 5,000 lbs. GTW and 500 lbs. tongue weight. This type of hitch generally has a 2-inch rectangular receiver and is considered the "standard" type of hitch for general towing. Most of our class III hitches are designed specifically for your vehicle. There are also some universal-fit class III trailer hitches available.

Class IV Hitches-This tends to be the best bet

Class IV hitches are for up to 10,000 lbs. GTW and 1,000 to 1,200 lbs. of tongue weight. This type of hitch is usually a weight-distributing hitch. We carry many fine class IV hitches that are designed specifically for your vehicle.

Class V Hitches

Class V hitches are for extra heavy loads greater than 10,000 lbs. GTW and more than 1,200 lbs. tongue weight. This type of hitch is usually a weight-distributing hitch. This type of hitch may have up to a 2-1/2 inch receiver with a 3/4-inch pinhole. Typical uses might be to tow a car trailer, horse trailer or unusually large boat or camper.

5th Wheel and Gooseneck Hitches

For really heavy towing we carry 5th wheel and gooseneck hitches that mount in the bed of your pickup truck.

Back to Trailer Hitches

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Dead-Weight Hitch: Or "weight carrying" hitch is the type of trailer hitch most people think of when they consider trailer hitches. It is the basic trailer hitch that provides a simple ball-and-socket arrangement to connect the trailer to the towing vehicle. Intended for (usually) lighter loads.

** Weight-Distributing Hitch: This type of hitch has an attachment that slides into the receiver to redistribute the weight on the tongue. The hitch usually has two spring bars, one for each side of the trailer, to lift and apply leverage to the tow vehicle. This redistributes weight from the rear axle to the front and improves vehicle stability while towing. Intended for heavy loads.

Whiteowl
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-24 4:08 PM (#86281 - in reply to #86221)

New User

that hitch, properly installed, will do fine.
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-06-25 9:32 AM (#86320 - in reply to #86237)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2008-06-24 1:23 AM

but does not exceed the towing capacity of your vehicle.

I don't know how hung up on this point I would get. I'd rather my hitch NOT be the limiting factor in what I can pull. I would rather make sure the hitch is capable of handling the towing weight and the tongue weight.

Your tongue weight may happen to be more than 10% of the trailer weight. Not much you can do about that in a 2H BP. So, if the loaded trailer weighs 5000 lbs, but the tongue weight is 800 lbs, I wouldn't get too upset about being over the 10%. But a Class III hitch would technically be underrated for the tongue weight.

The info Paul posted on the various types of hitches is useful.

statzk
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-06-25 9:42 AM (#86324 - in reply to #86221)

Veteran

What is the tow rating of your Tahoe (I had one once and I believe it was 6800lbs, but that was a while ago)? If it is greater than your hitch @ 6000lbs then you may want to look at a bigger one. Granted from your post it looks like you already purchased it, in that case as long as the GWR of your trailer is under 6K then your hitch is fine. I believe most 2H BP trailers are right around 5K limit. With two average horses that should be about right unless you have a really heavy or light trailer (or horses). The ONLY way to know for sure is to go someplace with scales and have it weighed while loaded - or while empty if you know your horse weights. That will not get you the tongue weight though...Cheers and safe hauling!

Edited by statzk 2008-06-25 9:45 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)