'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer brake modifications

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-19 7:43 AM
5 replies, 4254 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-16 10:33 AM (#74536)
Subject: Trailer brake modifications

Expert

Recently there was a discussion about trailer brakes and I asked if there were any known conversions of swapping drum brakes for disc brakes. This is a common maintenance item on classic cars that are used as "drivers" instead of "trailer queens". The only response is quoted below. I am hoping that this discussion might invigorate a mechanically inclined individual into taking up this challenge

Originally written by greyhorse on 2008-01-14 7:35 PM

I don't think there is such a kit. From what I remember when I was checking all that stuff out a couple years ago the disc brakes require more psi to operate so the electric/hydraulic actuator is different for drums than it is for discs. Of course you can buy everything to do all the stuff you were talking about..... I think I can find links I had saved if you want.

Greyhorse

I can't help but wonder what an improvement a disc brake conversion would offer to an older trailer. It would seem that a supplier of trailer brake hardware would bundle the necessary parts into a kit, to retrofit a drum brake design. If mechanically it were not easily accomplished, because of the welding or machining of parts necessary for the installation of the modifications, couldn't an adapter be fabricated to marry the new and old?

A worse case scenario would be to swap out the axles with the new brakes installed. As expensive as that might be, it would be still less expensive than the purchase of a new trailer, particularly if you were still pleased with your present trailer.

I just called a large trailer sales in Eastern OH, and received a lot of silence and possible maybes. They were not prepared to perform such a service, they knew of no modification like this being performed and couldn't get off the phone soon enough.

I'm now too infirmed to do this myself, but I think it is a possibility that might be encouraged. It has made the operation of classic automobiles much safer, and has brought modern standards to the ranks of those, who frequently use their cars. There are many older trailers that will last several more decades. I plan on that for mine. Having an additional safety margin would be a small price to pay.

BOL  Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-01-16 10:58 AM (#74544 - in reply to #74536)
Subject: RE: Trailer brake modifications

Check out Dexteraxle.com. You should be able to find everything you need to know there.
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-01-18 11:45 AM (#74723 - in reply to #74536)

Extreme Veteran

Gard, all the stuff is available to convert to hydraulic discs, I just haven't seen it in a kit (probably too many different axle and brake configurations to make a kit doable). You need the electric/hydraulic actuator, brake lines and hoses, brake calipers and discs, and maybe new hubs. Not really that much to it. Dexter has all the stuff other than the brake lines and so do some other companies. Then pretty much any shop that does brakes should be able to run brake lines.... really looks like it could be done by a good DIY'er without much trouble.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-18 3:56 PM (#74738 - in reply to #74536)

Expert

Thank you Tx and Greyhorse for your assistance. I went to the Dexter web site but the adobe reader was temporarily on the fritz. I'll check it again.

I think that if its economically feasible, converting and upgrading the braking system of my trailers, would increase the safety margin of driving. I had a horrific event this summer and was only saved because of my trailer brakes. Had everything not worked as they were supposed to, I and my family could very well be dead. The mechanical things we count on daily to work without question, literally are the reason we are here. We should never take them for granted.

If I can get the brake situation finalized and figure out what type of LQ batteries to purchase, my trailer Spring chores will be finished.

Thanks again    Gard

greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-01-18 4:43 PM (#74741 - in reply to #74536)

Extreme Veteran

You will really like the hydraulic brakes if you do that, remember that you will need a high quality brake controller in the truck too, they (actuators) won't work with some models.

Might look at this stuff too. http://www.bludotinc.com/
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-01-19 7:43 AM (#74779 - in reply to #74536)

Another good site is Kodiaktrailer.com. They have everything you need to do the conversion. It is not difficult to do. I prefer the Dexter actuator. It is smoother, has quicker response time and doesn't get as hot when you sit in traffic with your brakes on for extended lengths of time. If you make the conversion, be sure to add a second breakaway battery. One battery will not hold long with the juice the actuator is drawing if the trailer breaks away. You can also add a brake lock which holds the hydraulic pressure in a brake locked position in case you unhook on an incline or want to make the trailer harder to pull for the thief waiting for you to leave it parked.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)